• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia Geforce 'Maxwell' Thread

Soldato
OP
Oh come on Broomstick. here we go again with this hyperbolic nonsense "AMD need to pray"

The same sort of thing keeps getting repeated over and over again by Nvidia enthusiasts.

Look, the last one was with the GTX Titan, it was insisted upon that AMD could not match the GTX Titan on 28nm, its impossible, its a fact and all the rest of it.
It would be far to big, it would consume far to much power and so it went on by self proclaimed experts. Nvidia FTW.

And yet here we are now with an AMD Hawaii 28nm GPU thats Much smaller than the GTX Titan and Faster with good power levels.

Your face is already dripping with Egg Yoke and now you have stuck your face back out into the firing line yet again. :p

Sucker for punishment?

No need to get serious bumhug, just having a bit of fun :p. Dripping with Egg Yoke, I have no idea what you mean you weirdo, anyway Maxwell is poised is to be a great arch. Nvidia went light last time with the first round of Kepler cards. If they release a full fat Maxwell part from the get go on 20nm. AMD could be in trouble given they have to stick with GCN, hot/power hungry.. While Nvidia Maxwell architecture's performance per watt is phenomenal.

My prediction is the GTX 880 will be the return of Nvidia having a genuine big lead over AMD. You heard it here first :p

Can quote me in Q4 :D, Maxwell destroying whatever GCN cards come next.. Even a washed out Mantle API won't help em :p

Soldato
OP
Big claims there Boomstick, hope you're right - we need some big performers next generation!

It's gonna happen. Nvidia gonna curb stomp all over AMD this upcoming gen. I look forward to seeing bumhug eat his pessimistic words in Q4 :D

I think even enabling 'washed out' mode or 'Mantle' whatever it's called, won't give AMD any extra fps. Nvidia will have such domination in DirectX :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Have some faith guys, Nvidia is really bringing it with Maxwell. Interested to see what AMD's 20nm GCN can do, but is a hungry / hot arch.

With Maxwell, they got compute performance, gaming performance, mining performance and using less power. The performance per watt is extraordinary. That allows, higher clocks, less heat, less power etc..

Def going to be strong competition when these cards launch.

Will be watching launch closely, ready to ditch my 780Ti's before they plummet in value..

This is the gen people will want to upgrade to..

Soldato
OP
"but is a hungry / hot arch."

In making what looks like a neutral post, there is still always a caveat with you isn't there?

As long as you get your message across that Nvidia always good while something is always wrong with AMD; your happy to say "come on lads, we are all hardware enthusiasts here"

Its not hotter and no more hungry than GK110

Come on bumhug, let's not get personal. I've had just as many AMD cards as Nvidia ones. I have two AMD cards here atm..

Maxwell is a beast, when Q4 arrives.. You will see..

Soldato
OP
You are so weird Bumhug, I'm not biased at all. Why do you always troll people? Not just me, you always have a pop at Gregster, anyone else isn't an die hard AMD fan. That's a trait bordering on insanity :p

I buy AMD and Nvidia. I'm an enthusiast, I like stuff from both camps. My brain is large enough not to get bogged down with petty fanboism :D. What I have seen of Maxwell is getting me very interested for launch in Q4. Stop trying to cause arguments you loon.

Soldato
OP
I think Boom is just going through one of those excited phases where he'll sing all day and all night about nvidia :D

Exactly man, nothing wrong with getting excited for new stuff :D If we didn't get exited about things, we would all end up as pessimistic and bumhug and mankini :p how can you be an enthusiast if you're not enthusiastic..

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
^^ The Maxwell architecture is very impressive, that Nvidia 860M has 640 cores and putting out that type of performance with such a low TDP.

Looking forward to seeing the unveiling of the GTX 880 ;) and then AMD's response. Have a feeling a lot of people are going to want to upgrade..

Soldato
OP
More fuel to the rumor mill, a user on the EVGA forum asked about Titan Black Edition step up, this was the reply.

Hello NotoriousChucky,

The Titan Black and Titan cards may not make it on the Step Up list, since they are considered specialty cards are are on a limited quantity. Currently the highest model on the list is the GTX 780 Ti (03G-P4-2881-KR). You may want to keep an eye on the list during next 90 or so days to see if that list is updated or changes in anyway. You can see the list here: http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Something is coming I tells ya..

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2118924

Soldato
OP
almost purchased a 780, may just wait for the 880 having read this

If you can hang on a bit longer it's prob worth waiting until GDC in a couple of weeks, if anything is going to come soon it's highly likely to be at least spoken about then, maybe released in May/June.. With a 20nm refresh in Q4..

My guess is,

'Q2' 8XX 28nm (New architecture Maxwell).

'Q4' 9XX 20nm (Die Shrink / Maxwell Optimization).

'2015' 10XX 20nm (New architecture Volta).

'2016' 11XX 16nm (Die Shrink / Volta Optimization).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB Review

We have been singing the praises of the Maxwell architecture since Nvidia launched it in February this year. It is such an improvement on the previous generation that Nvidia really do deserve an enormous amount of praise.

pause for a moment and think of the potential for high end solutions down the line. The Maxwell architecture is unmatched in regards to performance per watt. In real world terms, the coolers on these graphics cards have to deal with less core heat, the fans can spin slower – which means less noise is emitted under any given situation.

When Nvidia move to the 20nm process later this year we should see even bigger gains filtering up through the product line, including high end graphics cards that are faster, but run cooler and demand less power at the socket. It really is a win-win for their partners and we are positive that Nvidia have a very strong 24 months ahead of them

Overclocked:

0tqplIU.png

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/asus-gtx-750-ti-oc-2gb-review/

Soldato
OP
^^ Very impressive :)

Maxwell is a beast, I would go as far to say this is the biggest jump in architecture we have had since the old Nvidia glory days of the 8800 GTX :D

Check out the power consumption on this 28nm card, all that performance and such low power use..

B74u0Bi.png

The high end 20nm Maxwell GPU's are going to lay waste to AMD :p

Soldato
OP
Its always fun to see you set youself up for a face full of eggs over and over again :D

I bought a Ton of eggs this time. ;)

You wasted your money bumhug, Maxwell 20nm will pwn AMD. It'll be so far ahead they will probably use the mid-range cards to compete with AMD's high end again..

Should use those eggs to throw at Roy Taylor..

Would be nice if we had an official estimated date for the high end Maxwell's i.e GTX 880/Ti etc... instead of just made up rumours from forums.

Would be nice, sadly wild speculation is all we have at this point..

Soldato
OP
Pirate Islands yarr mateys.

I don't think you'll get very far battling the AMD bois on per-watt, which company is known for making massive boilers and which has all the console wins this gen? ;)

I'm not sure if you can call the current consoles 'wins' tbh. I doubt AMD make much on low end CPU with mid end GPU/APU combo. Bread and butter money for AMD, Nvidia obviously weren't bothered, or else would have gone for it.

Be honest I would much rather have an Nvidia GPU in my PS4, if it was Maxwell based even better, performance VS power use is amazing.

I'll be happy with GTX 780Ti performance in a much lower power envelope in the 20nm cards. Although a single card with GTX 780Ti SLI type performance would be awesome. Don't care if it's green or red. It'll be probably be green though, no doubt won't be released until late 2015 though, I imagine they will release the mid-range stuff first to tackle AMD's high end 20nm and then drip feed us the real high end Maxwell stuff later on if/when AMD can compete.

Soldato
OP
My next build may consist of Maxwell SLI, Haswell-E, watercooled CaseLabs case... Never needed that second kidney.

Same here,

Haswell -E 5820K or 5930K
X99 Motherboard
Maxwell SLI
32GB DDR4
Windows 9 / Direct X 12

Going to be a lot of coin..

Might even upgrade my old trusty Antec ultimate 900 case, had this thing for about 6 years :p

Back
Top Bottom