• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Just send them back under DSR as this will be fine as it's due to noise and I'd advice you buy one of the custom cooled cards marketed towards low noise and as such recommend MSI 970 Gaming.

We will b-grade your old cards and someone can grab a bargain. Any issues just show the RMA adviser this post. :)

I've shown him the post but he's adamant that I'll have to pay a fee to return the cards :(

Associate
I fell hard for the Gigabyte backplate as well, and actually like the sleak looks as opposed to the bit more rugged MSI with its heatpipes sticking out.. Such decisions.. No idea what to do! Oh and btw, I don't live in the UK so can't buy from OCUK, just really like the forums :p

Soldato
Look what I got!

Gonna plug it in tonight. Gonna do the following:

1. Uninstall EVGA Prcision X
2. Uninstall current nVidia drivers
3. Take out GTX680 and put it back in it's box with it's power cable
4. Insert GTX970 and power cable
5. Install nVidia drivers from website
6. Install MSI Afterburner and set automatic fans

Launch BF4 and see an increase of 30fps :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
What is the general consensus on the best 970 to go for? I have a gigabyte on order however it's not due to arrive till next week and is holding up my build. I'm not really going to be overclocking it. Unsure of whether to wait till next week for the gigabyte to come into stock or replace it with something else...

Soldato
Apart from lacking a backplate, I much prefer the MSI looks. I'm just a sucker for heatpipes and think Gigabyte missed a trick in not displaying them like the MSI.

Oh and OCUK have just put the MSI on sale with TWO!!!

Mahoosive drop in price!!!

Lmao, I was like wtf! Then I saw the price :D

Soldato
What is the general consensus on the best 970 to go for? I have a gigabyte on order however it's not due to arrive till next week and is holding up my build. I'm not really going to be overclocking it. Unsure of whether to wait till next week for the gigabyte to come into stock or replace it with something else...

MSI seems to be the most popular due to how quite it is and it's overclockability (new word)

Soldato

Apprently it is Gigabyte G1>MSI>Rest from what I've read.
All should be the same though with cooling being in the order above. With hindsight I may have gone for the G1 I assumed the MSI cooler would be ultra quiet at 100% with some of the comments going on here.

Soldato
You don't it's just for benching. It's a moot point to be honest, it's just something minor that swayed me onto the MSI. Would have loved to have had the backplate on the G1, I'm not too bothered though as I might water cool it.

Soldato
Apprently it is Gigabyte G1>MSI>Rest from what I've read.
All should be the same though with cooling being in the order above. With hindsight I may have gone for the G1 I assumed the MSI cooler would be ultra quiet at 100% with some of the comments going on here.

Check this G1 out, over 1800mhz core, not stable but still impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxCn_7MZZE

OcUK Staff
Check this G1 out, over 1800mhz core, not stable but still impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cxCn_7MZZE

The Gigabyte G1 stuff is the most highest quality of any card we seen, the cooler is overkill, though could be designed better, but still performs exceptionally well. The power design is superb!

But for me, Flex technology, so epic that a single card can power six monitors which makes the G1 not just perfect for gamers or extreme clockers, it also doubles up as a professional card as well. :)

Associate
Could anyone with SLI 970s confirm if you can use Dynamic Super Resolution by going into the NVIDIA control panel and selecting "DSR factors" in the Manage 3D settings section please?

Heard a few reports of DSR not working for some SLI users and that would be a real shame if I wanted to get another 970.

Soldato
What kind of hash rates you getting on 970 and 980 guys?

I fired it up for a few minutes, got 530Kh/s on a Galax blower. This was with the February release of Cudaminer set to auto tune ofc, I reckon it would score higher with tweaks and a newer mining program but I have been out of the game for a while, only did it as a test.

Back
Top Bottom