• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I plugged my MSI 970 in an hour or so ago and I am blown away by how easy you can crank this thing to 1500MHz and still get ~60 degree temperatures :D Time to game on it for a few hours and see if it can cope long term.

Associate
Got the MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G today. It performs almost exactly as I expected, about 10-20% slower than overclocked GTX 670's in SLI. It is relatively quiet under load and completely silent at under 50c.

I did notice some coil whine during benchmarking, but it was not intrusive and I only heard it because my head was close to the card. I don't consider it a big enough issue for a RMA. My 670's did the same thing and never bothered me, because when I'm gaming the fans are spinning and this is enough to drown out any coil whine. Also with v-synch on the card doesn't work as hard so no coil whine then.

My initial overclock seems ok at 1530Mhz on the core and a slightly disappointing 7800Mhz on the Ram. Moving the voltage slider seems to do nothing. GPU-Z shows more volts but I am in serious doubt of this because it does not make any difference to my overclock.

The bright white dragon logo on the card looks quite good. Using Geforce Experience I can set the logo to flash/breath/off/solid etc. and adjust brightness.

Anyone else notice a faint coil whine?

Soldato
What do people think of the cheapest inno3d one? I'm trying to spend as little as I can . I'm the sorts guy that just plops the GFX card in my PC and leaves it for 3 years I don't care about looks or LED's

What is inno3d RMA like ?

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my MSI 970s... WOW! Firstly thanks to Gibbo for helping me out.

I've been running the bioshock infinite time demo for about an hour now. Max temps 65 and 64! Compared to 72 and 55 on the EVGA!! Also... and the reason I swapped... Afterburner showed the fans hit 62% at one point and it was so quiet I had to go round with a torch and check they were spinning cause I couldn't hear them over the CPU fan. Compared to the EVGA that sounds like my rusted old car exhaust once it exceeds 60% - and it does often!

Strangely, I thought the EVGA was clocked faster out the box? The MSI shows 1316 boost speed without touching anything.

Also:
Bioshock Infinite 5760x1080 (ultra) average fps:
EVGA Stock: 95.41 (didn't try and oc EVGA as it was already loud / hot / bigger factory oc)
MSI Stock: 99.89!
MSI 1400 Boost: 105.86
MSI 1500 Boost (why not eh?): 107.89

I'm so pleased... and now off to play! Yay!

Associate
I also got my MSI Gaming today. The card does sag noticeably, but it's not bad at all; certainly can't see it inside my dark case so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Otherwise it looks very sleek, I like the LED logo lighting up.
There might be some coilwhine, but it's very faint. I can only hear it when I put my ear right next to the card with the fans off.

The fans turning off completely at idle is amazing, especially for a silence freak like me.
I'd initially considered the Gigabyte card which I do believe looks better, but the fans are apparently set to ~1500 RPM minimum, which would be very intrusive for me.

I haven't got a whole lot of games around to test, but I did get artifacting in Fire Strike when core clock was above 1500MHz. I might tinker with it in games as well at some point to see if core will be higher for game stability.
Playing BF4 at constant 60 with vsync and Ultra graphics on 1440p was pretty crazy, had not expected that.

Ended up with a Fire Strike score of something like 11200; 13500 GPU and 12500 Physics.

I'll most likely try my first SLi setup later this year and get a 2nd card, they seem worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay so I have 2 of the Galax 970 reference cards which I got as I wanted to able to fit waterblocks on them. They are pretty noisy but it wasn't bothering me that much as they would be coming off anyway.

After ubersonic posted that the VRMs are put on poorly aligned and his mate had some pictures showing a 670 block won't fit because of it :mad:

So I shined the light from my phone in the SLI gap and I can see the slight sideways alignment of the VRM.

I noticed that EK have now removed the Galax card from their list of compatible cards as well...

So what should I do, send them back and try a different pair of ref cards? How much is that gonna cost me you reckon?

Man of Honour
With all the GTX 970s flying off the shelves has any of you thought about starting a 970 only benchmark thread with tables for the common benches as it would be interesting to see how the different brands compare.

Unfortunately this is something I can not do as I am not an owner.:)

Soldato
With all the GTX 970s flying off the shelves has any of you thought about starting a 970 only benchmark thread with tables for the common benches as it would be interesting to see how the different brands compare.

Unfortunately this is something I can not do as I am not an owner.:)

Gibbo should do a roundup like he did for the 290s :D

Back
Top Bottom