• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I'm expecting so, esp if we get some leaks about 3080 being quicker than the 2080Ti.

This is exactly why the 2080ti was released so early, to beat the 1080ti convincingly.

If the RTX3080 can beat the 2080ti, then I cannot see the 3080ti releasing until several months later.

I won't upgrade until the 3080ti though

Soldato
coming from a 970 the 2080ti was great but being a early adopter wasnt the best idea. should a held off but getiing the zotac was a real and best choice no problems . overclockers were great with my rma. new cards will be tempting off course but have to way up pros an cons..

Caporegime
I would say fake news based on the link, but it is Nvidia and would not put it past them :p
Nvidia will very likely see a major boost in performance and revenue from Ampere because it will be when ray tracing performance hits the big time and will fuel a new era of realism in games.

Permabanned
This is exactly why the 2080ti was released so early, to beat the 1080ti convincingly.

If the RTX3080 can beat the 2080ti, then I cannot see the 3080ti releasing until several months later.

At launch putting aside RTX and the Space Invaders issues the 2080TI vs 1080Ti was not far ahead in many games and equal in others and I think behind in one or two, it took time to get drivers etc sorted.

My fan acted up on my 1080Ti FE and I got a new (pre-owed but sealed) Titan Xp cheap so decided to skip the 2000 series and will have a look at the 3000 series but TBH I have a backlog of games to play that can all be done on current gens @ 1440p MAX settings.

Soldato
Nvidia will very likely see a major boost in performance and revenue from Ampere because it will be when ray tracing performance hits the big time and will fuel a new era of realism in games.

Or people will just use it to get more FPS in games like Fortnite as FP32 performance will also have increased. A huge percentage of pc gaming revenue is driven by twitch shooters and MMOs,and is probably why RTX hasn't had such the great reception amongst many gamers. I expect most gamers who bought RTX capable cards this generation have done more for getting performance boosts in non-RTX games - that has been the case of most people I know in the last year who bothered with one. These cards will only sell very,very well if the increase in RTX performance is also matched by an increase in performance in non-RTX games too.

The problem is that even if Nvidia doubles RTX performance,it is going to be the same trade off between image quality,ie,instead of just casting one ray per pixel as used now(maybe you can double the number of rays),or performance and then rely on denoising.

As with all of these things,I can only really see raytracing becoming mainstream if consoles can do it even in a crappier way,just as the PS4 is crapper than PC at VR,but the PS4 VR headset supposedly sold more than all the PC ones. Why I say that is because it means instead of raytracing being tacked onto games as another graphical option like extra AA,they will be developed with it in mind. If not consoles will be the major limiting factor here.

Last edited:
Associate
I cant give a stuff about ray tracing, I just want more performance for VR. Im happy with my 1080ti for anything on my 144hz triples. If it were that I would skip another generation or even never bother for years. I cant wait for the day when I can play euro truck. ATS ect in all its full maxed out glory on the next gen of headsets. Maybe the 3080ti wont be up to the job but it will be significantly more capable than the 1080ti. For now ill just settle for playing ping pong.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
3070 needs to match 2080ti or we’re being short changed again.
Yep. But some people are going on like as if the 2080Ti is some special card when the performance gap between it and the 2070S is not exactly that big. I am expecting similar rasterisation performance and even better RT performance than a 2080Ti in the next 3070. If not it will be a big fat fail, IMO.

By the way, for those who want to be pedantic, when I say 3070, I am referring to whatever card that is in the £400-£500 price bracket. Their naming schemes may change again and tiers may change. Example if the next 3070 turns out it’s costs £799 then to me that is not the card I am talking about, kind of obvious but some around here get pedantic about this stuff :p

Soldato

The 3070 needs to be practically on par with the 2080Ti, if the 3080 = a 2080Ti then this is going to be yet another disappointing generation. Which would be a big mistake with new consoles around the corner.

Soldato
I cant give a stuff about ray tracing, I just want more performance for VR. Im happy with my 1080ti for anything on my 144hz triples. If it were that I would skip another generation or even never bother for years. I cant wait for the day when I can play euro truck. ATS ect in all its full maxed out glory on the next gen of headsets. Maybe the 3080ti wont be up to the job but it will be significantly more capable than the 1080ti. For now ill just settle for playing ping pong.

For which games?

I find in VR my performance is really good on every game which isn't fully modded skyrim with an ENB and i only have a 2080.

I regretted last gen not just getting a 2080ti as I game at 4k and a valve index which might become a pimax 8kx if it reviews well.
so basically i should probably be looking at the 3080ti.

i hope nvidia just give us the 3080ti straight away as it did make last gen very straight forward in terms of where you spend your money from the get go for the generation.

i think they'll be torn as other users have alluded to. if the performance gains of the 3080 are subtantially better than the 2080ti, its hard to make sense of releasing the 3080ti alongside it. however, likewise im assuming the number of 2080tis sold is more than previous generations and thats simply down to the fact they released it from day 1. and they never really dropped the price of the 2080ti and it has reigned supreme as the best gpu up until this day really.

i hope personally they follow last gen's simplicity and release the 3080ti alongside the other cards as it makes life a lot easier for people to decide how their upgrade path is going to go for the next 2 years.

Soldato
First "leak" for Nvidia pops up.

GA103 (RTX3080)
20GB GDDR6, 320 bit bus
60 SM units and 3480 Cores
Official announcement in March

Hopefully there is a significant IPC and clock speed increase because this is just a small boost to cores over the 2080.

leak fails to mention tensor and RT cores, strange. Makes me think it could be fake

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/01/19...070-specifications-leaked-for-the-first-time/

Last edited:
Soldato
NVIDIA will be launching its next-generation Ampere GPU architecture and new GeForce RTX 3000 series graphics cards later this year, but it now appears as have some juicy new specs to devour from the latest rumors.
MyDrivers is reporting on two new GPUs in the Ampere family of GPUs: GA103 and GA104. Long-time nerds and enthusiasts will note that the GA103 is an interesting entry, as we would've expected GA102 and GA104, but GA103 is reportedly powering the upcoming GeForce RTX 3080 and has some beast specs with it.
GA103 will reportedly pack 3840 stream processors, 60 SMs, and 10/20GB of GDDR6 on a 320-bit memory bus. The 10/20GB VRAM option there is an interesting one, as we haven't had a card with 20GB of VRAM before. Moving onto the GA104, we have 3072 stream processors, 48 SMs, and 8/16GB GDDR6 on a 256-bit memory bus -- this will take form in the GeForce RTX 3070.
We should expect the consumer GA103 card to have 10GB of GDDR6, while the pro levels cards in the Quadro RTX 3000 series to pack 20GB. NVIDIA could surprise gamers, however, offering up 20GB of VRAM on a GeForce RTX 3080, but I very much doubt that.
What I do want to see, is GA102 -- which will power the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti and a new Ampere-powered TITAN RTX graphics card.

GA103 (GeForce RTX 3080)
10/20GB GDDR6
320-bit memory interface
60 SMs
3480 stream processors

GA104 (GeForce RTX 3070)
8/16GB GDDR6
256-bit memory interface
48 SMs
3072 stream processors

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7005...070-leaked-specs-up-20gb-gddr6-ram/index.html

The only reason this has even a shred of credibility is because at this point I expect nothing less from Nvidia than this sort of ****** memory config. Will even the 3080ti go past this mythical 11gb cap of these past 2 generations? Most people don't seem to care tho, so
shrug_1f937.png

Associate
Crikey, I'm still rocking a GTX980 in my rig. Maybe its finally time to 'upgrade' parts of my PC. I only game at 1920 x 1080 with a G Sync monitor. Any recommendations for a GFX card chaps?

Back
Top Bottom