• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
The whole market is overinflated, reminds me of the dot com bubble. I suspect there'll be some very unhappy investors in the next year or so.

The market is pricing something in, I dunno what though.

The last time Nvidia had a price of over $300 was in the bitcoin bubble, it burts and went down to $150 and now has finally clawed it's way back in 2 years. But without bitcoin, whats changed in 2 years that warrants such a large price increase.

Share price in theory should reflect current or future earnings, has Nvidia's earnings doubled in the last 2 years? If not, the price must reflect some future expectations of a large increase in earnings. If these future earnings expectations are unrealistic, then the share price can once again be considered a bubble

Permabanned

The last time Nvidia had a price of over $300 was in the bitcoin bubble, it burts and went down to $150 and now has finally clawed it's way back in 2 years. But without bitcoin, whats changed in 2 years that warrants such a large price increase.

Share price in theory should reflect current or future earnings, has Nvidia's earnings doubled in the last 2 years? If not, the price must reflect some future expectations of a large increase in earnings. If these future earnings expectations are unrealistic, then the share price can once again be considered a bubble

Perhaps people are gambling on their cloud gaming service.

Soldato

There's much more to it than that and you kind of said it yourself - future growth & earnings too. NV are big in growing areas.
Take a look at AMD and even TESLA. NV is cheaper than AMD considering earnings. TESLA only recently started making a profit yet its market cap is now way higher than that of VW. Are there bubbles around? Yep. Not sure NV is one as it actually trades respectably. Higher than Intel but lower than AMD when looking at the P\E ratio.
Think I said back when NV was dropping like a stone that it was a buy. Glad I was right :). Double yer money in 12 months. New free 2080 Ti from only a grand invested (just for sake of the potential it offered back then).
Not advising people to buy now though - the cheap price has now gone and it passed when everyone was talking doom and gloom about NV (the time to buy!). I rmember some saying they'd buy at $40. Well, that never happened. Crypto boom and bust and RTX gpu's were negative forces but it was obvious RT would pay dividends in the future and the price actually corrected too far downwards (due to fear).

The longest ever US bull market will end and it will of course correct pretty much everything, tech stocks included.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don’t want to keep opening this thread to read about share prices and how much money NVidia is making.

Any chance of starting a separate thread and sticking to Ampere rumours and news only?

Soldato
I'll be looking at the 3070 or 3080 for 1440p but it'll depend how much Nvidia up the performance, with competition from AMD and the new consoles coming you'd think 3070 would be at or close to 2080Ti perf.. Then again prices of current cards haven't budged that much since release. I'm sure 3080Ti will still be expensive for what it is, even though Nv said it would have a lower price this time.

Soldato
I don’t want to keep opening this thread to read about share prices and how much money NVidia is making.

Any chance of starting a separate thread and sticking to Ampere rumours and news only?

There is no news, that's why these other discussions start. If another thread was opened, the same thing would happen in that thread.

Soldato
The Cyberpunk card was never going to be Ampere. CD Projekt Red tweeted Nvidia about doing a custom CP card, and Nvidia replied with a tease that they were working on it.

I've no idea why people were conflating this and the Huang "won't be disappointed" boast.

The card was never going to be Ampere because the game was meant to be out before Ampere. The tweets are clearly set up marketing. If they knew the game was going to get the delay it was then I expect they would have waited to do an Ampere version instead.

People I think hoped to see Ampere and Nvidia with Cypberpunk because they all originally had the same reveal time/release time kind of thing happening. People jumped to that conclusion quickly. If Cyberpunk had been known to be delayed I would expect Nvidia to wait is what I am saying.

Associate
Samsung have announced that 7nm chip production has started, with the first delivery of chips expected by end of Q1. This could be when Nvidia get their chips, and thus a summer timeframe for the 3000 series would be about right.

Would it be right to expect Nvidia to EOL the 2000 series (at least high end) around the end of Q1, if not sooner? Given this is new tech on a new fabriciaton process, they won't EOL the 2000 series until the 7nm chips are manufactured and tested?

Soldato
nvidias offerings will beat navi anyway.

they are best off releasing their gpus, pricing high as there might be a shortage anyway, create a supply & demand issue. gamers panic, put in loads of pre-orders as always do.
then amd release their NAVI with their highest card edging the 1080ti in performance.. and then nvidia do a price drop (with supply & demand now sorted) and profit.

£1000 nvidia stock or £1000 3080ti.
im honestly thinking of buying 1k nvidia stock then in 6-12 months time, using my nvidia stock to buy a 3080ti (which i assume will be in profit by 10-30%.
anyone that wants nvidia stock, nvidia/amd/msft stock has dipped today. i'd follow the dip and try to get in before it goes back up.

Back
Top Bottom