• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVidia PCSS Vs AMD CHS GTA V

Caporegime
I thought I would experiment with the games settings and after always using NVidia's PCSS (Percentage Closer Soft Shadows), I thought I would try AMD's CHS (Contact Hardening Shadows) and I was quite surprised at how bad it was. As you can see from the video, it is a bit of a mess.

Video still encoding.

No way I could play with AMD's CHS and that would be a proper spoiler for me. I don't mind the odd glitch here or there but that is broken :(

Edit:

I am sure it is working perfect for you Shanks and must be broken for me when all the other options work fine except for AMD's implementation.

Last edited:
I much prefer the NVidia look and it it is softer on the edges and looks more realistic and AMD's version (regardless of the glitching) looks stenciled and far too hard.

Well that is my take on it but horses for courses.

I look forward to getting GTA V and giving it a whirl on my 970 (are very high settings possible at 1080P with a few compromises?) but personally (glitching aside) I like the look of AMD's CHS better, I find PCSS a bit too blurry in that video. Neither setting is ideal, however.

Yer, I played GTA V on my 970 and it was sweet :)

So does Contact Hardening Shadows - This is what its designed to do.
Realistic shadowing is an essential ingredient of Alien: Isolation’s creepy atmosphere. To make these shadows as realistic as possible, The Creative Assembly team tapped AMD’s “contact hardening shadow” technology. This technique dynamically hardens or soften a shadow’s edges depending on the distance of the shadow from the light source and object casting that shadow.

AMD is proud to welcome Grand Theft Auto V from Rockstar Games as the newest addition to the Gaming Evolved family. We’ve been working closely with our friends in Toronto, Canada and Leeds in the UK, and as part of that collaboration the game features AMD’s Contact Hardening Shadows (CHS). This technique dynamically hardens or softens a shadow’s edges depending on the distance of the shadow from the light source and object casting that shadow. This means softer shadows that diffuse more realistically. To enable CHS in the game, simply select AMD CHS from the ’Soft Shadows’ drop down menu.

Hmmmm I am sure I read it wasn't a gaming Evolved title. Ohhh well, I don't mind being wrong.

I will try that area Weldon and see.

Has anyone actually tried adjusting things like the:

shadow setting
long shadows
high res. shadows

?

I was going to stick my 7950 but someone said earlier "Just use PCSS" and that is pretty much spot on. I wouldn't bother bud and stick with what suits you on a personal level.

wasnt really payin attention to that, left the youtube code in but its no longer embedded

I got me a 2 day suspension for doing the same thing. I was so engrossed in the vid, I didn't even realise that there was a naughty word in it :(

Really nice looking game in some area.

gt.jpg

Pfffft, that looks rubbish and I don't want a 4K monitor again at all..... Honest :p

Back
Top Bottom