1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by tommybhoy, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Oblivion007

Gangster

Got to be a fail. The very name "RTX" with no RTX games available at this point (minus BF) makes it an instant fail in my eyes.

2. TheRealDeal

Sgarrista

:D:D:D:D:D:D

3. AMB73

Gangster

I personally feel that the RTX and DLSS tech is great, i purchased my 2080ti to be a part of this new generation and to experience first hand how or if it works.

I, on the other hand cannot disagree that the delivery and implementation of this into any software so far other than BF5 and 3D Mark has been a complete and utter disappointment, but hey, when it comes ill be ready....

4. Cosmic Schwung

Gangster

The sad takeaway here is if the old cards were still available the RTX series would probably be really struggling. To sell an update you either need it to be better value or have a new feature. The value proposition certainly isn't there so nvidia clearly banked on the ray tracing, and although real-time ray tracing is the most exciting development I've seen in ages, it's implementation has been almost non-existant.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. shankly1985

Capodecina

The question I have for people that bought RTX what return rate would you be happy with?

1. Game
    10. Games?

Ray tracing only or DLSS

For me for the price and it just works I expect least 10 games by the next RTX GPU

Having read DLSS might not come to online games either or if it does won't show massive gains in performance because how the AI needs to work it finds it hard to calculate on a random multiplayer game.
    A benchmark the AI can get a predictable calculation every time resulting in performance gains.

6. Ezyryder

Mobster

Lets say I am very happy with my 1080ti for £579 and 3 year warranty, with some luck it will last me until the warranty runs out.

7. Kaapstad

Man of Honour

I bought Turing because it is faster than anything Pascal so a success.

Having said that NVidia pricing is absolutely awful.

8. Liamz51

Gangster

I upgraded from an EVGA 1070 FTW to a Founder's Edition 2080. I have really enjoyed tinkering with ray tracing in BF5, it's often subtle, but from time to time it manages to look so good you wonder how you didn't notice the absence of real reflections before - but there really can be no denying that the roll out of RT in games has been a bit of a failure for Nvidia.

9. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

Can't see it being a fail, as its only just arrived on cards, like DLSS, the games using them are a coming, there aren't going to be thousands upon thousands using them overnight, takes time.

10. JediFragger

Capodecina

Give me DLSS, clean up the image somewhat and extra frames. Sorted.

RT is just faaaaaar too early.

11. D.P.

Caporegime

By the same token DX12 must be a failure,

Even the venerable Radeon 9700pro must have been a failure since there were not DX( programmable pixel shader games available after 5 months. That must have been pixel shaders were destined to failure. Oh, that is right, it took developers time to work the new technology.

12. Tom B

Hitman

But the 9700pro was also a huge performance jump over previous generations for a competitive price. Even without new technology it was a great card.

13. Dinerty

Wise Guy

Hopefully this year Nvidia can get developers to create games that enable the cards full functionality, I am absolutely baffled with cost of these cards and just hope this pricing won't become the norm.

14. Kelt

Sgarrista

Fail, just like AMD's latest iteration.

Overpriced, overly prone to breaking and over here.

15. |cJ|

Wise Guy

Happy I picked up a second hand 1080ti a few months back, RTX is low ram, ray tracing is a scam and once it is good this first gen of cards will be to underpowered to use it anyway, NVIDIA must file for bankruptcy soon they are a joke at this point.

16. varkanoid

Sgarrista

Arguably you could say DX12 is a still a failure as such because the uptake is still poor. More games use DX11 or less than DX12 even now. So devs didnt know RTX was coming ?

17. Brazo

Wise Guy

Absolutely unless you count the four DX12 only games as a success? DX12 is. A huge failure. It’s tacked on implementation in DX11 games doesn’t help it either!

18. ancientmariner

Hitman

Had a 2080 since December, upgraded from a 1080 as the upgrade cost me £70 so went for it. No regrets, card is silent, runs very cool and demolishes most things at 3440x1440. Not bothered about RTX at this stage but DLSS could prove to be very worthwhile if it gets the uptake from developers. I think the GPU prices over last cpl of years are disgusting and there is no way i would have bought one at full price.

19. D.P.

Caporegime

I actually agree that DX12 is a failure but that doesn't stop some AMD diehards proclaiming it to be the second coming of christ

20. D.P.

Caporegime

Turing has a very decent jump in performance considering it is on the same node.

The price to performance ratio does suck though, but that isn't really the discussion of this thread, which is about feature uptake