1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia RTX 5 months on-a win or fail?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by tommybhoy, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Boomstick777

Capodecina

I am liking my RTX 2080 very much, so is a win for this card at least.. It's fast / quiet and just works (To quote leather jacket man).

I think the RTX 2080 Ti is grossly overpriced and the pinnacle of a greedy company, def a massive fail until Nvidia stop being greedy **** **** ********

Also the Radeon 7 looks good.

Reminds me of the HD 7970 VS GTX 680 days. AMD had the larger frame buffer cards and both cards traded blows. With AMD getting much faster over time with better drivers. Maybe a similar thing could happen here. Either way it's nice to have new options. Either card is good choice.

2. BigBANGtheory

Hitman

Metro Exodus is out soon, that will answer the question imho

What is going to be a tough sell regardless is:
    - explaining to someone with an 2080Ti and 4K monitor why they have to run RTX at 1080p or 1440p
    - DLSS or not (which isn't the consumers problem) how fast is it once the smoke and mirrors have been pushed to one side?

3. RavenXXX2

Capodecina

You got ripped mate, 1080ti performance with a measly 8GB of vram for £700+, Nvidia seen you coming miles off lol.

4. |cJ|

Wise Guy

This is a true story.

5. String

Capodecina

Anyone that bought into RTX knew exactly what they were throwing their money at.

6. LoadsaMoney

Caporegime

DLSS and RTX improvements, are coming to BF V on Tuesday.

7. ICDP

Wise Guy

RTX as a feature is a total and utter failure at this point. 5 months and only one title with RTX and none the with the other thing I can't be arsed looking up.

The cards are good but overpriced and the selling point for them is a failure.

I got a B-Grade one for £578 and at that price is it just about acceptable, the 2080Ti price is a joke.

8. Squid Vicious

Hitman

Had my money ready to go on launch day but held off when I saw the prices - given where we are now I'm happy enough with my decision.

I wanted to see a worthwhile improvement in performance for a given price and that simply hasn't happened this generation.

9. Harlequin

Mobster

Watched the Exodus video with RTX, it was stuttering on the promo oO

10. humbug

Caporegime

Too much money, again Nvidia cranked the cost of gaming up.

Looks like i'll be hanging on to the 1070 for a while longer.

RT is not even a thing as far as i'm concerned.

11. Boomstick777

Capodecina

I dunno about that, my RX VEGA 64 died, I got RTX 2080 for £670, GTX 1080 Ti was more expensive at the time and I've had VEGA's before.

Didn't bother with 2080 Ti's pricing is ludicrous, literally over double the price of the 2080 for no where near the boost in performance.

The performance of RTX 2080 is amazing. Tbh I think the price I paid ain't that bad. It was cheaper than the new Radeon 7 and 1080 Ti..

These 3 cards, 1080 Ti, RTX 2080 and Radeon 7, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. All beasts.

12. humbug

Caporegime

I find it quite astonishing that you think £650 for a mid range GPU is good value, 4 years ago we were buying dual top end GPU's for £500.

3 years ago i paid £270 for a GTX 970, a mid range GPU, the equivalent of the 2070 today.

13. subbytna

Sgarrista

Nvidia were so far ahead though. Look at the gains AMD have had over the progress Nvidia has had the last 5 years? AMD massively upped their game. When the drivers mature the 7 will be a cracking card for 1440. Pair it with a Freesync 4k monitor and you're sorted.

"1080Ti performance" is fine for 95, or more, percent of the forums and Joe Public

14. lnoton

Mobster

RTX isn't a gaming platform though.

DirectX is, with a new set of APIs supporting ray tracing.
    It's pretty unreal there are no games...but at the same time ..it isn't a new platform...just a new feature. A big one granted.

15. CuriousTomCat

Hitman

That's a pun because Epic demoed the "unreal" engine with RTX.

16. ltron

Wise Guy

People certainly have short memories.

17. Vexr

Wise Guy

Pretty much this. The lack of any evidence so far that DLSS will be coming for 21:9 resolutions was disconcerting enough to put me off getting an RTX card, as arguably DLSS would be the most relevant feature for 3440x1440.

DLSS aside, I'm sure the future of graphics will involve ray tracing at phenomenally high settings. Unfortunately this generation of RTX cards seems unlikely to be able to deliver that and will start to be deemed as suitable for rasterization-only as time goes on, or maybe with ray tracing on very low / at a low res, compared with future generations.

18. =XDC=FluphyBunny

Mobster

And if anyone wonders why GPUs are so expensive I give you this guy.

Is very satisfied with paying 2k plus for ti’s

19. BigBANGtheory

Hitman

It doesn't deliver the performance though, its a poultry improvement for a huge price increase on an over-priced previous generation. If it was sub £500 you'd have a point.

20. HRL

Wise Guy

Completely agree about them being overpriced but in regards to performance you’re simply wrong. The only thing better at present is an RTX Titan, performance-wise.

I couldn’t give two hoots about RT TBH, certainly not at present anyway.