NVIDIA Shield TV Pro 2019 vs QLED/OLED Smart TV with Dolby Atmos

Associate
My LG TV is smart but non android based. It is 8 years old, but still working fine. I have a soundbar (JBL BAR 1300 - https://uk.jbl.com/soundbars/JBLBAR1300BLKUK.html) with Dolby Atmos capability. I am currently running all my android apps including IPTV apps, on an Android TV Box.

My question is how would you compare NVIDIA Shield TV Pro 2019 with a new Android based Smart TV with Dolby Atmos sound + Vision.

Any advantage in buying a NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (which is currently 220 euro) if I am going for a QLED/OLED Smart TV with Google TV or Android TV option, on both of which I can install android apps.

Any new version of NVIDIA Shield TV Pro going to come out soon?

I am not a game player but like movies and music. Any advice welcome.

Unless you are streaming full 4k UHD rips from a Plex server or similar then there's no point getting a Shield.

The O/S on the Shield may feel snappier than even a new TV. But not to the point of spending over €200.

The only thing that limits my current TV (2023 LG OLED) from streaming full 4k UHD rips is the LAN port on the TV is only 100mbs and you generally need more for a lot of 4k rips. That and my AVR doesn't support eARC, so my AVR can't receive lossless audio formats from the TV.

That wouldn't affect you as I'm guessing your soundbar only support lossy audio formats anyway.

My only gripe with the Nvidia Shield is that it doesn't support HLG HDR, that's if you care about it. I subscribe to TNT Sports on Discovery+ and when I play a TNT Sports Ultimate stream it doesn't output in HDR but it does if I use the Discovery+ app using my LG TV. The same goes for iPlayer too.

Last edited:
I have an LG CX OLED and I have a Nvidia Shield. And I much prefer using the Shield over the TV apps. It's a fantastic piece of kit. But if you are buying a brand new 2024 OLED TV, I am not sure it's worth getting a Shield at this stage.

Another point is if you have an Android-based Smart TV then that pretty much reduces the need for having a Nvidia Shield as Android TV is perfectly fine for streaming web content :)

Unless you are streaming full 4k UHD rips from a Plex server or similar then there's no point getting a Shield.

The O/S on the Shield may feel snappier than even a new TV. But not to the point of spending over €200.

The only thing that limits my current TV (2023 LG OLED) from streaming full 4k UHD rips is the LAN port on the TV is only 100mbs and you generally need more for a lot of 4k rips. That and my AVR doesn't support eARC, so my AVR can't receive lossless audio formats from the TV.

That wouldn't affect you as I'm guessing your soundbar only support lossy audio formats anyway.

I was streaming a large 4k rip last night and had lots of buffering. I hadn’t considered the the tv lan port was only 100mbs!

Not something I've tried but you could potentially use one of the USB 3 ports with a LAN adapter.

I think there's a thread on here somewhere.

Or just Google it.

That’s exactly what I’ve done! I tried the same movie last night and had no issues.

Mad that they only come with a 100mb port.

Back
Top Bottom