• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Permabanned
OP
How was it a scam? If G-Sync didn't happen, AMD wouldn't have done it. G-Sync was out a year before AMD decided "Oh, we can do this and best we play catch up now". They had the way to do it before NVidia also, so whilst people still bitch about G-Sync, if it wasn't for NVidia, we wouldn't have ANY form of VRR. VRR tech is a game changer for me and really upped my enjoyment.

I personally think this is a fantastic move by NVidia and a very good tactical one at that.... Buy an AMD GPU and use freesync only or buy an NVidia GPU and have VRR or G-Sync. You are not tied to a vendor over your monitor choice!

I thought of it as a scam as no G-Sync module was required, as AMD have proven. Sales of G-Sync would have been much lower if consumers were more aware of what they were purchasing. Nvidia, while not alone, play on consumer ignorance.

Permabanned
OP
When G-Sync was released, a module was required.
No, VRR worked in the case of many laptop panels due to the direct connection with the GPU. AMD also demonstrated it early on with some desktop panels. Nvidia just made you believe that a module was required as it was another revenue stream for them.

Permabanned
OP
I tend to believe experts in the field over a random guy on forum.

I never sell myself as an expert. I have been writing software though since the age of 12, proferssionaly since 16 and with my own company since the age of 21. I just turned 50, so have had varied experience in IT, but I'm certainly no expert.

Permabanned
OP
Wrong sorry, There is a hardware requirement on the GPU side for supporting Adaptive Sync, hardware that's not normally needed on a desktop GPU which is why AMD's first demonstration was using laptops. This is why Nvidia needed a module. AMD had been working on adaptive sync and had built the support for it into their second generation GCN GPUs. It's why Older GCN cards aren't fully compatible with Adaptive sync despite having display port 1.2. And the Laptop standard is why First Generation APU's from AMD have support.

I remember AMD also demonstrating VRR on a desktop panel, even the suggestion that many existing desktop panels could work with a firmware update.

I also remember reading that Nvidia GPUs lacked the required scaler tech to control VRR panels. I'm not sure if the 9 series does lack it, but have read that the 10 series and up will offer support. Why would they then hold back such support until now?

Permabanned
OP
The reason we use Freesync in conjunction with these monitors is that we expect Nvidia to offer the same support as AMD, no less of an experience. As I have said before, if AMD can make it work, why can't Nvidia? :)

Permabanned
OP
Provide proof where Jensen was wrong.

Jensen said:
1) Nvidia tested 400 monitors
2) only monitors passed Nvidia's own arbitrary certification with Nvidia's own definition.
working.
3) Freezing often fails even on AMD cards, with either lack of LFC, lack of plug n play, or artefacts such as flickering. There is plenty of proof of this, lots if YouTube videos verifying Nvidia's statement.

Any evidence Nvidia didnt test 400 monitors?

TBF, Gsync suffers the same issues. Latest driver addresses yet more Gsync problems. We just need to decipher Jensen's definition of working.

Back
Top Bottom