• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Volta with GDDR6 in early 2018?

Caporegime
Micron is apparently aiming to have GDDR6 in production by the end of the year. I'm thing GV104 2080/2070 in Q3 or Q4, with GV102 Titan Volta in Q1 or Q2 2018.

Man of Honour
This whole VRAM thing is funny - nVidia and AMD keep playing with HBM(2) - both apparently having tested cards with 2 stacks, etc. as well as 4 - but doesn't seem like they want to bring it to consumer cards any time soon.

Soldato
This whole VRAM thing is funny - nVidia and AMD keep playing with HBM(2) - both apparently having tested cards with 2 stacks, etc. as well as 4 - but doesn't seem like they want to bring it to consumer cards any time soon.
Vega will probably tell us a lot more. If Vega manages to do much better at something like 4k than a GTX1080(relative to a lower resolution), I'd say it gives pretty big incentive for top line cards to start utilizing it across both brands.

Despite what some PC enthusiasts would prefer, 120/144hz is not going to be 'the standard' going forward, but 4k soon will be. Which means prioritizing tech that improves high resolution performance is going to be the smarter play.

GDDR6 may be just fine for a 256-bit bus 2070/2080 to keep costs down, but for those really wanting to push everything at 4k, HBM might be the way to go.

Man of Honour
Despite what some PC enthusiasts would prefer, 120/144hz is not going to be 'the standard' going forward, but 4k soon will be. Which means prioritizing tech that improves high resolution performance is going to be the smarter play.

I'm not so sure on that - 4K is a bit marmite some love it some prefer 1440p not just because of refresh rates.

Soldato
I'm not so sure on that - 4K is a bit marmite some love it some prefer 1440p not just because of refresh rates.
This is not really an argument.

4k is happening. The rest of the media world doesn't care one bit about 1440p. 4k will become the new standard, just like 1080p was/is.

There's nothing 'marmite' about 4k, anyways. I dont even know what that means. Preferring 1440p to 4k is like preferring 720p to 1080p. It's objectively inferior.

Man of Honour

4k is happening. The rest of the media world doesn't care one bit about 1440p. 4k will become the new standard, just like 1080p was/is.

There's nothing 'marmite' about 4k, anyways. I dont even know what that means. Preferring 1440p to 4k is like preferring 720p to 1080p. It's objectively inferior.

4K has been around awhile - even with the 60Hz limitation it hasn't seen the uptake earlier steps in resolution did (and relatively speaking they had the same increased demand in hardware performance, etc. at the relative points). A not insignificant number of people have preferences that preclude 4K i.e. the upper physical size of a monitor they'd want to use at a PC and unlike portable devices and typical use of Apple systems, etc. the usage of Windows tends to make the extra resolution less useful for scaling the UI, etc. and making use of the extra pixels for font smoothing and so on.

4K will become more prevalent sure but it isn't going to overtake 1440p any time soon like 1440p overtook 1080p.

I forget how insular the community is here. Completely oblivious to actual market trends and realities.

4K uptake has mostly been media and more mainstream users especially in areas outside of typical Windows computing - even for PC gaming use it isn't going to replace 1440p anything like as quickly as earlier jumps in resolution.

While I don't pretend my own preferences are indicative of a wider market - my 4K panel has been relegated to one side used for occasionally viewing 4K videos, etc. and my desktop has a 2560x1440 panel for gaming and a ultra-wide for other use.

Soldato
4K will become more prevalent sure but it isn't going to overtake 1440p any time soon like 1440p overtook 1080p.
Haha. You think 1440p has 'overtaken' 1080p? This is what I mean by an insular community.

1080p is still the standard.

1440p will never be a 'standard'.

2160p will be the new standard.

4K uptake has mostly been media and more mainstream users especially in areas outside of typical Windows computing - even for PC gaming use it isn't going to replace 1440p anything like as quickly as earlier jumps in resolution.

While I don't pretend my own preferences are indicative of a wider market - my 4K panel has been relegated to one side used for occasionally viewing 4K videos, etc. and my desktop has a 2560x1440 panel for gaming and a ultra-wide for other use.
Sure, 4k for general PC use(outside gaming) is absolutely still lagging. But it WILL become the new standard. And I guarantee Windows will be updated to better support it in pretty short order.

4k is happening because that's what everything is going to move towards. The gaming medium itself is going to be 4k-focused within 2-3 years, particularly when next gen consoles come out. Movies are going to be mastered for 4k. Streaming services are going to go not to 1440p, but from 1080p to 4k.

This is inevitable, it's not arguable. People here on an enthusiast gaming board, especially one where many have probably sunk big bucks into a 1440p monitor probably aren't gonna understand so well, but it's what will happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
You mean like the 1080 Ti and Titan Xp which both use GDDR5X and run 4k very well.
They run it 'ok'. They're borderline if you want to do 60fps in nearly everything with good settings. Some games you're gonna have to make more notable compromises.

And games will get more demanding. These two cards you mention might still be 'ok' for a couple years, but for those who really want to push 4k *comfortably*, we definitely need more. Extra horsepower will obviously be the biggest thing, but if super high bandwidth HBM offers notable benefits at these high resolutions, I would imagine consumers, especially enthusiast consumers like those here, would want that. I find it absolutely bizarre that some of y'all are pushing against this.

Combined with GDDR6 for the x70/x80 cards, I think it would create a pretty great 'high resolution-capable' lineup.

Maybe GDDR6 will still be used, though. Of course it will still be 'enough', even GDDR5X will be 'enough', but who pays top dollar for 'enough', ya know? A bit of overkill ala the Kepler and Maxwell Titan's is not necessarily a bad thing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

+1

Makes whole lot more sense to me personally.

Man of Honour
Haha. You think 1440p has 'overtaken' 1080p?

1080p is still the standard.

1440p will never be a 'standard'.

2160p will be the new standard.

Sure, 4k for PC use(outside gaming) is absolutely still lagging. But it WILL become the new standard. And I guarantee Windows will be updated to better support it in pretty short order.

4k is happening because that's what everything is going to move towards. The gaming medium itself is going to be 4k-focused within 2-3 years, particularly when next gen consoles come out. Movies are going to be mastered for 4k. Streaming services are going to go not to 1440p, but from 1080p to 4k.

This is inevitable, it's not arguable. People here on an enthusiast gaming board, especially one where many have probably sunk big bucks into a 1440p monitor probably aren't gonna understand so well, but it's what will happen.

This is the thing - sure console and video is going to move from 1080p to 2160p but it doesn't translate to the desktop the same as older jumps in resolution - there is a big difference between a 50" 4K display the other side of your living room and sitting at a PC with the monitor 18" or so away.

1080p is holding on because of the increasing size of the userbase - if you negate that from the equation 1440p is trending upwards against 1080p while 4K is relatively treading water with a much smaller upwards adoption in terms of Windows desktop and PC gaming.

A lot of people still deal with Windows in a way where 1:1 directly utilising per pixels counts and that is much harder to do with increased DPI where not everyone wants 40+" displays on their desk and/or having to move back and forth over that much screen estate and we are some way from where Windows makes good use of the extra pixels to make stuff look good while scaled up.

Soldato
consoles aren't going to be 4k focused any time some, not for gaming at any rate and consoles run at reduces frame rates and levels of detail comparatively. PC gamers expect more than console gamers do, as well. But the hardware isnt there. Not even if you're spending thousands on GPUs, let alone anything like 'mainstream'. Baseline performance isnt going to jump to such a degree that 4k performance becomes cheap enough to be any standard any time in the near future.

It may be inevitable, but not in next couple of years.

Man of Honour
^^ Its actually not just about the hardware performance as a barrier to 4K uptake on general Windows and PC gaming platforms and neither is the refreshrate - a lot of people even after trying 4K go to 1440p ultrawide, etc.

I see this going like my old GDDR5 v HBM argument :D or my arguments against the speed at which people thought VR uptake would explode hah.

Soldato
I think 4k is not taking off so fast just because of the horsepower needed to run it. Back in my CRT days i had an Iiyama pro vision master that ran 2048x1536 resolution but could max games out on my hardware at the time. So when 1080p became the standard you could easily run it with decent hardware. These days you need something daft to run at 4k even though it's been around for a while. When the hardware is cheap enough to drive it i see it catching on pretty quick.

That's not to say my system's back then were the norm as i always had the fastest Gpu and Cpu when upgrading but now your talking way more in price.

Caporegime
consoles aren't going to be 4k focused any time some, not for gaming at any rate and consoles run at reduces frame rates and levels of detail comparatively. PC gamers expect more than console gamers do, as well. But the hardware isnt there. Not even if you're spending thousands on GPUs, let alone anything like 'mainstream'. Baseline performance isnt going to jump to such a degree that 4k performance becomes cheap enough to be any standard any time in the near future.

It may be inevitable, but not in next couple of years.

Ummm , Xbox Scorpio.

Educate yourself.

Man of Honour
I think 4k is not taking off so fast just because of the horsepower needed to run it. Back in my CRT days i had an Iiyama pro vision master that ran 2048x1536 resolution but could max games out on my hardware at the time. So when 1080p became the standard you could easily run it with decent hardware. These days you need something daft to run at 4k even though it's been around for a while. When the hardware is cheap enough to drive it i see it catching on pretty quick.

I don't doubt that it will become an industry standard but a fair number of people don't see it the same as previous jumps in resolution - I show people my displays when they are thinking of upgrading and a lot more go for 1440p or 1440p ultra-wide subsequently than 4K - look at some of the older threads in the monitor sub-section for 4K monitors and ask what those people are on now and quite a lot have gone from 4K to 1440p UW - while some of that is driven by performance or refresh rate is isn't the only story.

Soldato
This is the thing - sure console and video is going to move from 1080p to 2160p but it doesn't translate to the desktop the same as older jumps in resolution - there is a big difference between a 50" 4K display the other side of your living room and sitting at a PC with the monitor 18" or so away.
You're right, it's a MUCH bigger deal for people with monitors at a desk. 4k makes an even bigger difference.

It's already very difficult to find a new TV that isn't 4k, so that whole market is on its way and there's no turning back.

1440p may be 'trending upwards', but it's not even remotely close to 'overtaking' 1080p. And it NEVER WILL. It is a dead end. It is a stop gap for those who want something better than 1080p, but obviously the power wasn't there before to power 4k. This is changing and will change quickly over the next couple of generations of GPU's. 4k displays will become more numerous and 4k-capable GPU's will become more affordable.

You're also treating the scaling issue on Windows as something that will be ever-present. Should the userbase become sizeable enough, I guarantee Microsoft will address this. They are not a software supergiant for nothing.

consoles aren't going to be 4k focused any time some
I mean, PS4 Pro is already built specifically for 4k TV owners, and Scorpio will be out this year which is designed *specifically* for 4k native rendering.

So I have no idea what you're talking about. Next-gen consoles will undoubtedly be running 4k as a their 'target' resolution just like 1080p is the target today. Obviously there will likely be games dipping a bit under as is normal every generation, but 4k is going to be the target and the power will be there to do it.

You guys are living in a bubble. Soon enough, that bubble will pop and you're going to realize reality is very different to what you thought it was.

Back
Top Bottom