• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia's new partnership with MediaTek has just killed the module which made G-Sync monitors so damned expensive

Caporegime

Hence why Nvidia has teamed up with MediaTek to produce a scaler chip, with the full G-Sync feature set built into it, including the latest Pulsar technology—this is a system to reduce motion blur, keeping small details as clear as possible, even when whipping the camera about in a game.

With these new MediaTek G-Sync equipped monitors, you should get the complete G-Sync Ultimate features without the big cost of having to pay for the additional G-Sync module. How all of this pans out in the real world… well, we'll let you know when we get one in for review!

Great news this! Will hopefully mean we'll get back to more gsync ultimate monitors rather than this being limited to only the high end monitors. Having owned freesync premium monitors then switching to a gsync ultimate one and back to a adaptive/g sync compatible one, the experience I have to say coming from gsync ultimate to the adaptive /g sync compatible has been very underwhelming:

- the fps range below 60 is very sluggish and nowhere as smooth, there also feels like more latency compared to the gsync ultimate monitor when fps is below 60
- both being oled monitors means there is vrr flicker as is the case with every non gsync ultimate monitor, this is exceptionally noticeable when your fps is less than 70 and even above this to 90 fps, it is still somewhat noticeable, however, the gsync module handles this very well to the point it is not noticeable in my experience except outside of testing as evidenced by rtings - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3423dw

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be gaming below 60 fps anyway, ideally always want at least 80/90 but with a gsync ultimate monitor, if the fps is below 70 fps, it is so much more enjoyable and playable especially if you fall into the 40s and 50s range.

Last edited:

Great news this! Will hopefully mean we'll get back to more gsync ultimate monitors rather than this being limited to only the high end monitors. Having owned freesync premium monitors then switching to a gsync ultimate one and back to a adaptive/g sync compatible one, the experience I have to say coming from gsync ultimate to the adaptive /g sync compatible has been very underwhelming:

- the fps range below 60 is very sluggish and nowhere as smooth, there also feels like more latency compared to the gsync ultimate monitor when fps is below 60
- both being oled monitors means there is vrr flicker as is the case with every non gsync ultimate monitor, this is exceptionally noticeable when your fps is less than 70 and even above this to 90 fps, it is still somewhat noticeable, however, the gsync module handles this very well to the point it is not noticeable in my experience except outside of testing as evidenced by rtings - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3423dw

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be gaming below 60 fps anyway, ideally always want at least 80/90 but with a gsync ultimate monitor, if the fps is below 70 fps, it is so much more enjoyable and playable especially if you fall into the 40s and 50s range.

£500 on the table for your 32" Alienware :cry: mate.

I've been disappointed to not see what the G-Sync module can do more widely adopted - even with a display with fairly good VESA adaptive sync implementation side by side with my old G-Sync monitor the experience just isn't as good especially when the frame rate is around 60 or below - obviously into less than ideal territory but variable refresh does make it much more playable than without.

Hopefully allowing Mediatek to put Gsync into its scalar chips will mean cheaper and more widespread adoption, as pretty much 80% of TVs and monitors are using Mediatek chips

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom