• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia's next refresh...

bru

bru

Soldato
Yup I do think that prices will fall once the stock of the 10 series is mostly used up and seeing as the 2070 looks, well from the initial leaks anyway to be slightly quicker than a 1080, it is only the 1080 and 1080ti that need to dry up.
The gouged prices are just ridiculous and once stock levels out I can see prices much nearer the FE edition prices.

Soldato
Yup I do think that prices will fall once the stock of the 10 series is mostly used up and seeing as the 2070 looks, well from the initial leaks anyway to be slightly quicker than a 1080, it is only the 1080 and 1080ti that need to dry up.
The gouged prices are just ridiculous and once stock levels out I can see prices much nearer the FE edition prices.

I don't know how much truth there is in the reports of Nvidia gouging the AIBs though... I had read the reason some of their cards were so expensive was because Nvidia were selling them the PCBs at stupidly high prices, so by the time they'd covered the costs for their own cooling solutions, manufacturing etc. they had no choice but to increase the prices due to margins being so tight.

As I say, I've no idea how much truth there is in all this, but Nvidia ditching the blower style design and going with the 2-fan solution they did certainly sends a certain message and indicates their intent to offer a more competing solution to the AIB offerings. They wouldn't want AIB's undercutting them.

Point is, if this IS true, I don't see AIB cards dropping much closer to FE price unless Nvidia enable that by giving them a good deal on the PCBs. If Nvidia drop their FE prices though, then there should be an adjustment across the board.

Associate
I saw a lot of people predicting the 20xx series as just a stop-gap (which it is performance wise) and that 7nm or whatever next gen of cards will release next year. Do you guys really believe that?

Its October and the 2080ti won't be freely available probably until late October, at least here in the UK. We still haven't seen the 2070 or 2060. I feel like the 20xx series might not even be fully released until near the end of this year.

Do you guys still believe that a refresh won't happen for that long? I'm personally quite sceptical and starting to think that maybe we will be stuck with the overpriced 2080ti as the reigning king for longer than we'd like to think.
Yup, in less than 12 months I predict that 7mn cards will be out, from both AMD and NVIDIA, the 20XX GPU’s are a stop gab money maker to appease the people desperate for a new and shiny GPU, despite them being ludicrously overpriced with little to no performance increase over the 10XX cards

bru

bru

Soldato
Actually Looking at the prices on here, I am quite surprised, as they are not as high as I expected. Don't get me wrong they are not good prices by any stretch of the imagination, but to hear people go on about the gouging, I didn't expect to see the currant prices.

2080ti from £1099.99 for a blower card, preorder
2080ti from £1199.99 for a triple fan card, preorder

2080 from £709.99 for a non blower. instock

Yes NVidia have shifted the prices up somewhat from what we were used too, but if you can get your head round that ( I did took one look and said NOT paying that much) the cards are available at reasonable prices.

And then their is things like the strix @ £1499.99, for preorder. laughing out loud.

Soldato
They've also upped the numbering, as the 2080 Ti is the 2080, the 2080 is the 2070, and the 2070 is the 2060.
Disagree with this, personally. I do think NV should have just broken away from the number scheme though to stop this comparison :). Should have Turing £,Turing ££ and Turing £££. :p. No just kidding but I see the comparison between previous gens a bit pointless this time. RT is new, size of die is huge compared to previous gens and they're struggling to get the 80 Ti out the door to customers - it's a beast that the 1080 non-Ti was not

Soldato
Why are people using this? First people kept saying it will be 11xx series, when I said it will be 20xx they said can't you count. Now it should be clear that they will jump to 30xx next surely? :p

In retrospect the jump to 20xx was logical because the RTX cards are a totally different kettle of fish to what's come before; if we were just getting MOAR CUDA COREZ then going to 11xx was fine, but RTX tech is different and, to me at least, change the big major number to reset counting for a whole new generation of hardware. And by that reasoning, increment the minor number within the RTX generation, i.e. 21xx

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In retrospect the jump to 20xx was logical because the RTX cards are a totally different kettle of fish to what's come before; if we were just getting MOAR CUDA COREZ then going to 11xx was fine, but RTX tech is different and, to me at least, change the big major number to reset counting for a whole new generation of hardware. And by that reasoning, increment the minor number within the RTX generation, i.e. 21xx
I agree, hence why they changed GTX to RTX. Nothing to do with the numbers imo.

Permabanned
I think it'll depend on what AMD comes up with, If AMD come back with a competitive 7nm offering that's ahead of the 1080ti Nvidia might jump to another range or they might simply add a Turing Titan to the range so they still have the ultimate Halo card. It won't all depend on AMD's flagship, What's in the mid range and how that compares will be a big influence. What are we expecting from Nvidia's 2070? 1080 performance? and below that?
If we don't get any RTX products below the 2070 it makes me wonder if they'll rebadge some Pascal chips giving us 1070 or even 1070ti chips in a 2060 and maybe a 2060ti. It's all just guesswork but who's to say they won't,
The best place for possibilities is WCCFTech's fake news outlet. You can put money on them having all the bases covered.

Soldato
At this point though, realistically, how much more power do people need when it comes traditional rasterization? 2080Ti is going to rule at 1440p/UW for a long time. Heck it will probably do so at 4K for the foreseeable future... it's really only bad optimisation which is seeing it go under 60FPS in a few games. It's all about what RTX can deliver now, and that will be what any future cards build on. But they need the content. Nvidia can't launch another range of GPU's the same way they have Turing... i.e with ZERO content that its features can utilise! Jensen will literally be laughed off the stage if he tries that again.

Soldato
At this point though, realistically, how much more power do people need when it comes traditional rasterization? 2080Ti is going to rule at 1440p/UW for a long time. Heck it will probably do so at 4K for the foreseeable future... it's really only bad optimisation which is seeing it go under 60FPS in a few games. It's all about what RTX can deliver now, and that will be what any future cards build on. But they need the content. Nvidia can't launch another range of GPU's the same way they have Turing... i.e with ZERO content that its features can utilise! Jensen will literally be laughed off the stage if he tries that again.

At 4K. If you look at some examples, e.g. Watch Dogs 2, it is clear that more performance is still needed. Even GTA V could use it, and that's before we consider the modding you can do to it. Witcher 3 as well, to a lesser extent, Wildlands for sure and so on. But wait! These aren't new games pushing the boundaries, they've been out for years. So what does that mean for future games? It means it's still not enough. Plus, there's still the question of 4K 120hz, which is coming next year with HDMI 2.1 more widely. At the other end of the spectrum we're seeing 8K start to be pushed, which means we could be looking at decent mid-range 8K TVs for <£2k within 3 years. And I'll bet you we'll be closer to 8K displays being more widely available & affordable by that time than we'll have any meaningful selection of RT games.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I doubt he would be laughed off. If he can get away with "the more you buy, the more you save" which is very patronising, then he can get away with a lot more and he knows it unfortunately. We need AMD and Intel to bring him back down to earth.

Associate
At 4K. If you look at some examples, e.g. Watch Dogs 2, it is clear that more performance is still needed. Even GTA V could use it, and that's before we consider the modding you can do to it. Witcher 3 as well, to a lesser extent, Wildlands for sure and so on. But wait! These aren't new games pushing the boundaries, they've been out for years. So what does that mean for future games? It means it's still not enough. Plus, there's still the question of 4K 120hz, which is coming next year with HDMI 2.1 more widely. At the other end of the spectrum we're seeing 8K start to be pushed, which means we could be looking at decent mid-range 8K TVs for <£2k within 3 years. And I'll bet you we'll be closer to 8K displays being more widely available & affordable by that time than we'll have any meaningful selection of RT games.

8K won't be a thing for graphics for a very long time. It costs too much power. I prefer a good Whqd Upscaling to 4K, which will need 8x less graphics power than 8K. 8x the power means nowadays that you have to wait at least 10 years to get the same graphics on 8K as on wqhd. In this case i prefer having more fotorealistic graphics than some more pixels.

Soldato
8K won't be a thing for graphics for a very long time. It costs too much power. I prefer a good Whqd Upscaling to 4K, which will need 8x less graphics power than 8K. 8x the power means nowadays that you have to wait at least 10 years to get the same graphics on 8K as on wqhd. In this case i prefer having more fotorealistic graphics than some more pixels.

8K is already here for the edge enthusiasts. In 3 years you'll see it go from the 0.1% to the 3% (enthusiast percentile). Of course, it won't be for the average Joe, but it will take 4K's place. Remember, just 3-4 years ago 4K seemed like a pipe dream. If you look at 2080ti Nvlink results you can see that it can definitely achieve 8K. Clearly only a handful of people will pay for an 8K display & spend £2.5k on GPUs alone but they exist, and it can only get better from here on out. In fact, I'd say in about 2-3 years the costs for 8K will at the very least halve if not go to just 1/3rd of what they are today.

And if you're looking for photorealism then NOTHING beats 8K. You have to see it for yourself to believe. Go check out the Samsung Q900 when they bring it into showrooms, you'll see. ;)

Soldato
If Nvidia was logical then 21xx series would make sense.

This time round it wasn't 11xx because the 2000 series is a reboot. It's not GTX it's RTX.

If the next series is an iteration of the 2000 series not a reboot then a 21xx would make sense from a nomenclature stand point.

Of course marketing wise a 30xx might sell better.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
8K is already here for the edge enthusiasts. In 3 years you'll see it go from the 0.1% to the 3% (enthusiast percentile). Of course, it won't be for the average Joe, but it will take 4K's place. Remember, just 3-4 years ago 4K seemed like a pipe dream. If you look at 2080ti Nvlink results you can see that it can definitely achieve 8K. Clearly only a handful of people will pay for an 8K display & spend £2.5k on GPUs alone but they exist, and it can only get better from here on out. In fact, I'd say in about 2-3 years the costs for 8K will at the very least halve if not go to just 1/3rd of what they are today.

And if you're looking for photorealism then NOTHING beats 8K. You have to see it for yourself to believe. Go check out the Samsung Q900 when they bring it into showrooms, you'll see. ;)
I was one of those who jumped on 4K around 4 years ago and could not go back after. This time I will stay away from 8K for a long time due to graphics card prices going bonkers and inevitably progress being slowed down as it gets harder and harder to shrink transistors.

If Nvidia was logical then 21xx series would make sense.

This time round it wasn't 11xx because the 2000 series is a reboot. It's not GTX it's RTX.

If the next series is an iteration of the 2000 series not a reboot then a 21xx would make sense from a nomenclature stand point.

Of course marketing wise a 30xx might sell better.

Bingo... It will be 30xx.

Back
Top Bottom