• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

nvlddmkm event crash whilst watching video on a 4080 Super

Associate
Recent got a B Grade Asus RTX 4080 Super due to a great offer from @Robbie_G (thanks @Robbie_G)

But having a really weird problem with it.

I get driver crashes (not BSOD, but machine unresponsive for 15-20 seconds) and get this message in Event Viewer.

Code:
The description for Event ID 153 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\000000df
Resetting TDR occurred on GPUID:500

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

when watching video. It's not every time, but definitely not a one-off.

I don't get this gaming or under load, just watching Amazon Prime Video on Edge, which shouldn't break a sweat.

I've run DDU to remove my previous driver (AMD 6900 XT) and nothing else seems to be having a problem.

I have tried with both RTX Super Resolution enabled and disabled. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

GPU utilisation between 1 and 6%.

Also seems worse on Edge than Firefox or Prime Video for Windows.

I've obviously Googled this as well, but it mostly returns:
- bad drivers (freshly installed drivers),
- bad RAM (never had problems with previous card),
or - bad card (it is B Grade but didn't seem used and honestly, it's just odd that it's a problem with video and not gaming)

3x monitor setup
4K 144hz
1440p 60hz
1080p 60hz

Other HW accelerated apps - probably browser, Discord. It's also not all video, like, YouTube so far is fine. Just seems to be mostly Prime Video. I'm wondering if it's some nVidia based decoding or nVidia DRM.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out more is... is this likely to be some bad nVidia driver or otherwise software interaction that might resolve itself with a later driver fix/browser update.

Or, do I have a hardware fault where it's a good idea to try and do a return given the reduced warranty window of b grade stock?

What is the exact model of your 4080 super? Have you used GPU-Z to check how recent the firmware/bios is?
e88.png

If the card has problems with switching power states with hardware acceleration or in multi monitor/multi refresh, it is often something that you can fix by fiddling with it, but that fix would likely have to be applied permanently and I guess you could call it a (V)BIOS bug.

If there's no fix that works and it keeps chucking out driver errors, then my guess is that is why the card was returned, but it was not tested in the circumstances that causes it.

I would suggest you try it with a fresh install and absolutely nothing extra installed though, just to rule out that you aren't having dirty driver problems.
I'm really trying to avoid doing that. A fresh install is a pain.

seems modern enough but what is your actual model? you said asus in your OP but having gone through the rtx 4080 super models on their sit enone seem to have any bios updates.

Do you have an old small ssd lying around you could do a clean install on? that's what I do if i trouble shooting worth the £10-20 for an ssd just in the time it saves if you dont have to do a clean install.
Sorry, it's this one: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...-pci-express-graphics-card-gra-asu-02002.html

Back
Top Bottom