Obj-C Book?

Associate
Wondering if anyone could recommend a good obj-c/cocoa book which teaches the latest standard (don't know if it has changed in ios7...)? Not too worried about one that includes the GUI aspects to ios programming, just more interested in the nuts and bolts of the obj-c language.

I'm a proficient programmer in other languages, but oop has eluded me throughout my scientific programming days and I'm trying to rectify that.

TIA

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Programming in Objective-C (Developer's Library) by Stephen G. Kochan

I think 5th edition is the latest, updated for iOS6 - but considering you're just after nuts and bolts, then I think you're fine with that as a starting point (I have 4th edition, and it includes the big change in iOS5 (ARC) - so am fine with that).

Associate
OP
Programming in Objective-C (Developer's Library) by Stephen G. Kochan

I think 5th edition is the latest, updated for iOS6 - but considering you're just after nuts and bolts, then I think you're fine with that as a starting point (I have 4th edition, and it includes the big change in iOS5 (ARC) - so am fine with that).

Ah thanks, that was the one I was looking at getting. Quick question, whats ARC?

Associate
Ah thanks, that was the one I was looking at getting. Quick question, whats ARC?

Automatic Reference Counting. It's a memory management feature where the compiler automatically does release/retain's for you, to help control object deallocation.

Kochan's book is a really good choice, I'd start there. Stanford also have a video lecture series on iTunes U for free, which is pretty good.

Soldato
I'm halfway through Programming in Obj-C 5th and it's a good book. The Apple docs are also useful and can be downloaded in PDF:
The Objective-C Programming Language
Cocoa Fundamentals Guide
Xcode Guide

And the rest of the Developers Library etc

Back
Top Bottom