Oblivion on PS3 superior to 360

Caporegime
The PS3 version of Oblivion isn't a simple port of the game either, although players who have picked up the 360 version will be very familiar with the control scheme. For one thing, the PS3 version has been optimized to take advantage of the Cell processor and hardware that the system offers. As a result, the game runs a lot faster than the 360 build. Entering dungeons or buildings results in a load of 3-5 seconds, compared to the 7-10 seconds or longer for the 360 version of the game. Similarly, the amount of framerate drops or hitches that cropped up in the wilderness as you accessed a new area on the 360 have been substantially reduced on the PS3 version. There is a plan to completely eradicate these issues as the game nears release, as well as fixing a number of bugs that were present in the other builds. Kiss the item duplication glitch goodbye.

Visual textures are much sharper in the PS3 version of the game.
The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat. We'll have more on Oblivion soon, but for now, check out these new screens.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/762/762108p1.html

Finally some good news for the ps3, tbh it's probably more to do with how badly the original version was programmed. Though I thought that oblivion was awful anyway. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Title's a bit misleading... I say watch this weeks 1up show for news on Oblivion on both consoles.
I don't find it too amazing though, fair enough it looks good but how long has Oblivion been out now? It would be a bit of a disgrace if they didn't have it looking better than the 360 version.

Permabanned
Nickg said:
but when a ps3 game comes out looking worse than an xbox360 game its flame time... right?

The reason the PS3 version is better is because it has had a lot more development time.

'Flame time' tends to be more with games that have been in development for the same amount of time for both platforms, but look better on the 360.

Soldato
Well they'd HAVE to make it compatible with the CELL technology anyway - when you consider it used 2 cores on the 360, and core-for-core the 360 is more powerful, the game would not run well at all if it didn't utilise more than 2 of the CELL's smaller chips. So I'm not surprised they're getting a performance boost, seeing as in total, CELL is superior.

Bit confused as to the texture sharpness though - surely that would be down to physical memory size, so the PS3 shouldn't have an advantage? I can't see how shaders would improve the image quality of a texture...

-RaZ

Caporegime
Chrisss said:
The reason the PS3 version is better is because it has had a lot more development time.

'Flame time' tends to be more with games that have been in development for the same amount of time for both platforms, but look better on the 360.

But how can you quantify that? can you show that infact developer X game 66man hours to the PS3 version and only 55 to the xbox360 version?

you could quantify it the other way however as the dev kits for PS3 werent around for the same duration as the XBox360 kits which meant that inherantly the ps3 titles would have had less development time potential...

Soldato
According to the 1upyours podcast (I think it was either that or the VGS podcast), they had to put the data on disc 2 or 3 times due to the terrible transfer rates of Blu-Ray, otherwise it would have been a lot slower. I'd hardly call that 'taking advantage of the cell processor', sounds more like cheating to me ;)

Wouldn't surprise me either if Oblivion required a HDD install as well.

(Any PS3 fanboys who want to take issue with that, i'm only repeating what they said, I know nothing more on the subject so look it up.)

Soldato
The visual presentation of Oblivion has also been significantly enhanced. While it was a beautiful title on the 360, far off environmental details often displayed low resolution textures. This has been fixed with new shaders dedicated to rendering the foreground cleanly with sharper details, so rocky landscapes now have craggy appearances instead of smooth, non-distinct surfaces. While there is still a fair amount of pop-in that occurs (which can't be helped due to the size of the world), the draw distance is farther than the 360 version. As a result, screens from the PS3 version should approach those from high end PCs running Oblivion, which is an impressive feat. We'll have more on Oblivion soon, but for now, check out these new screens.

According to the latest 1UP show 360 players will get the same visual enhancements. http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462

They said that as part of developing it for the PS3 one of the developers came up with new shader technology that was easy to transfer to both versions. The version they played (360) has the very fix you've just mentioned.

I can't wait to see it in action.

Associate
If you have seen the most recent or one of the recent 1up.com shows then you will know that the 360 is getting a graphical / performance update via live to bring it up to speed with the ps3 version to be released.

Edit: whoops, beaten to it, should have read the replies.

Caporegime
smcshaw said:
According to the latest 1UP show 360 players will get the same visual enhancements. http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462

They said that as part of developing it for the PS3 one of the developers came up with new shader technology that was easy to transfer to both versions. The version they played (360) has the very fix you've just mentioned.

I can't wait to see it in action.

I hope they hook up PC users with the update too! :)

Soldato
Minstadave said:
I hope they hook up PC users with the update too! :)

They didn't mention it specifically but it sounded like the shader tech was one of the few bits of code that was 'universal' so it sounds like they'll dish it out to all.

Which is nice.

oblivion runs almost perfectly in the wilderness on 1400x900 maxed out (no aa or af) on my rig (see sig). I went on oblivion on a friends 360 and i though it sucked!! it loaded so slow, ran so badly, the gfx wer waaaaaaaaaaaay worse and it was only running at 640x480. i think it was just a bad port to the 360 imo, which is a shame cos its such apowerful console and such a great game.

Also, remember that the ps3 version will be released almost a year after the 360 one, so it should look better!! if they re-released the 360 version im sure it could easily match the ps3

Permabanned
Nickg said:
you could quantify it the other way however as the dev kits for PS3 werent around for the same duration as the XBox360 kits which meant that inherantly the ps3 titles would have had less development time potential...

You have sort of contradicted yourself there, seeing as development time 'potential' doesn't actually equal development time.

And I see to remember someone on here saying that PS3 dev kits have been out nearly as long as 360 dev kits.

Associate
It should be better its had ages to get better this game is old news

Sony shouldnt be praised for improving a game thats on a new system and has been out for a long time thats to be expected right?

I am sure they could make the game better on the 360 if they tried again but whats the point it runs fine on the 360 and everyones happy with it

Now for me to be impressed with the PS3 they need to produce some exclusives that the 360 couldnt emulate so far this hasnt happened thats why my money will be spent on 360 games this year until sony convince me otherwise

Caporegime
Chrisss said:
You have sort of contradicted yourself there, seeing as development time 'potential' doesn't actually equal development time.

And I see to remember someone on here saying that PS3 dev kits have been out nearly as long as 360 dev kits.

No. i am giving a balanced argument - something which seems to be quite rare in these parts. as i say, you cannot really quantify your arguments, and i am saying that this was more likely the case due to the real life constraints inclicted upon them.

unfortunately this kind of thinking hasnt been too prevelant in the threads where new PS3 games have recieved a trashing for maybe not being as polished as the XBOX360 version, when it is likely that constraints on the developer were the cause, not the actual power of the consoles in question!

Permabanned
You're preaching about balanced arguments etc and then you go and base a point on developing time potential.

I can't prove that the developers have spent the last 9 months or whatever making the PS3 version better than the PC/360 version no more than you can prove that the 360 developers harnessed the extra time(if any) that they had with the 360 dev kits.

Back
Top Bottom