OBS does not work with Elgato HD60 S+

Soldato
I have a nice shiny new Elgato HD60 S+. But I can't seem to get it to work with OBS.

The setup is that I have my spare PC - now an Intel 11400 with a Maxwell Titan - set up as the video source and am running OBS on my main PC. The Elgato is connected to my PC by USB. It works fine in Elgato's 4K app, and if I go into the properties of the stream inside OBS it shows the capture! Just one frame, of course. But for the main recording it's just a black screen. I've tried the usual things like rebooting, unplugging, running as administrator, and compatibility mode.

Oh, and my Acer Nitro 4K monitor really doesn't like the Elgato: much of the time it cannot detect a signal. I now have it plugged into my Asus UW.

Soldato
I have the older HD60 S and it works fine with OBS.

Make sure in Windows Settings -> Privacy -> Camera, "Allow apps to access your camera" is enabled. Also make sure the device is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

Soldato
OP
I have the older HD60 S and it works fine with OBS.

Make sure in Windows Settings -> Privacy -> Camera, "Allow apps to access your camera" is enabled. Also make sure the device is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

Thanks but both are checked. Other cameras work fine and the Elgato works fine in its own software.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried a different USB cable? What if you tried the card on the other PC just to make sure it's working?

Thanks for your patience. The thing works just fine outside OBS. I can get videos from Elgato's own app. It works just fine in the Windows Camera app too. It's just OBS that's the issue. OBS will work with my other cameras. There's likely some setting within OBS that I'm missing.

Soldato
OP
That's interesting. I tried changing it to one of the Logitech cameras and that showed nothing! I then added the Elgato and the Elgato is now showing but the Logitech is not.

Soldato
OP
Well I got it all working. Quite the palaver.

1. Add Elgato as video source
2. Go into the properties and change the source to one of the webcams.
3. Add Elgato as a video source.
4. Add second webcam as a video source.
5. Delete first webcam from stage 2.
6. Re-add first webcam as a video source.

(I have one webcam for my face and the other for the work surface.)

Save!

I hope this helps someone in the future.

Thanks for your help, guys.

Back
Top Bottom