Trying to OC an i5 on a z170 viii impact board
Downloaded the bios, says not a valid bios
renamed it to M8I.cap still the same
Tried to download from 2 different sources still no go
running the latest 3801 now
Any ideas?
Cheers

Associate
Iirc you need to have a k chip in the board to update the bios then put the 6400 in. Been a couple of years since I benched it. And yes, bclock oc which I think was something like 102.75mhz for max.

Associate
OP
Soldato
Just a thought.

Can you use the Flashback button on the motherboard to go back to an earlier official bios, then try the guide again?

Not sure about needing a K chip as no one is mentioning it in the comments, not saying Doug is wrong though.

Associate
OP
From what I gathered on googlesearch, bios which is greater than 3xxx is non flashback with non K chips
Will leave it be until ram arrives, off tomorrow so will have a proper dig with hangover gone :D

Soldato
From what I gathered on googlesearch, bios which is greater than 3xxx is non flashback with non K chips
Will leave it be until ram arrives, off tomorrow so will have a proper dig with hangover gone :D

Just had a look at that, but can't understand why Asus would do that. It would make sense if you was trying to revert to a early bios that did not support your CPU, but what they have done seems stupid.

Anyway, good luck.

Associate
OP
Had sweaty palms earlier as I though I had good looking brick on my hands.
Flashed via flashback, no signs of life. Re-flashed with latest bios, then went back to flash again as it was working
CMOS reset and tweaking the bios as we speak, seems to be functional, yet to see the drawbacks of having this bios

Associate
OP
I am pretty sure volts weren't sufficient, 4.2 was rock solid. Another thing with custom bios is ram cant run at 3000mhz, not that makes any difference, suggested is 2600ish, failed to boot on 3000
Still, pretty impressive how this little chip can be pushed so far compared to what it is as stock
Reverted to latest bios for now as working whole week and for what its used for even stock is good enough :)

Associate
I was running a 6400 on an asus pro gaming board managed a healthy 4.8 GHZ but was pushing 1.42 volts. memory would not boot with any thing above 3000 but I did get it stable at 2963 or around that was great for gaming only upgraded because my son needed his rig upgrading and I got a new cpu and board for a steal off the MM

Back
Top Bottom