OC'ing i5 8600k - why are my temps so high?

Associate
Hey guys,

So I'm a first time OC'er and have a pretty decent rig which I use purely for gaming, I have been following some basic guides online to increase my i5-8600K from it's factory 3.60Ghz. My specs are as follows:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo
MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 7
GPU: Palit GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock 8GB
CPU: Intel i5-8600K
Cooler: Noctua NF-A14
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650 W Gold 80
Ram G.SKILL 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Trident Z RGB

So my current changes which I made to the BIOS are as follows:

1. Load "Profile1" on X.M.P
2. Changed my CPU Clock Ratio to 45
3. Disabled VT-d & Internal Graphics

*left Intel Speed Shift Technology and CPU Enhanced Halt plus C3, C6/C7, C8 & C10 State Support on Auto*
4. "Uncore Ratio" left to Auto (think it's 40 by default)
5. Left "Vcore" as Auto
6. Left "Vcore Loadline Calibration" to Auto

I then downloaded CPU-Z, Coretemp and Prime95. This is where my concerns begin with my temperature, and it seems high (even at idle) and then worsens to a very quick 80C+ within 2 minutes of running a "SmallFFTs" stability test on Prime95.

Is there something glaringly obvious I am missing? Or am I being too ambitious trying to OC to 4.5Ghz with my air-cooling? Any advice on where I should begin to solve this would be appreciated.

Is there something glaringly obvious I am missing? Or am I being too ambitious trying to OC to 4.5Ghz with my air-cooling? Any advice on where I should begin to solve this would be appreciated.

Yes, test with realbench , prime will just unrealistically load your cpu and :-

5. Left "Vcore" as Auto
6. Left "Vcore Loadline Calibration" to Auto

And never ever ever ever run auto cpu volts

To get me started, where would be a good starting value for Vcore to OC @ 4.5Ghz with above rig?

Also, am I being under ambitious? Would I notice much improvement in my gaming with an extra 0.2 - 0.4Ghz?

I'd set vcore to 1.4v and then keep increasing the CPU speed until you get crashes or starts failing tests.
The dial the CPU speed back a notch..

Once happy you can either leave it if temps are ok, or try to dial the vcore down a bit to lower the temperature.

Obviously keep an eye on the temperature..
Cinebech is quicker to run so I'd maybe use that initially as you'll be rebooting a lot and adjusting the CPU speed..
I'd also use HWmonitor as that will display the max temperature reached..

Load line calibration is to combat votalge drops under load (instability) you can leave that on auto for now and use it to fine tune later of needed..
That's also where HWmonitor is useful as even though you've set the CPU to a fixed voltage you'll see it still fluctuates a bit when the CPU is under load .. If it fluctuates too much you can use LLC to minimise that fluctuation.

I'd set vcore to 1.4v and then keep increasing the CPU speed until you get crashes or starts failing tests.
The dial the CPU speed back a notch..

Once happy you can either leave it if temps are ok, or try to dial the vcore down a bit to lower the temperature.

Obviously keep an eye on the temperature..
Cinebech is quicker to run so I'd maybe use that initially as you'll be rebooting a lot and adjusting the CPU speed..
I'd also use HWmonitor as that will display the max temperature reached..

Load line calibration is to combat votalge drops under load (instability) you can leave that on auto for now and use it to fine tune later of needed..
That's also where HWmonitor is useful as even though you've set the CPU to a fixed voltage you'll see it still fluctuates a bit when the CPU is under load .. If it fluctuates too much you can use LLC to minimise that fluctuation.

That seems incredibly high.

Wouldn't 1.4V have my idle temperatures sky high and toast my rig, reducing it's life-span considerably?

I was under the impression anything over 1.28V isn't desirable? Plus, I'm only looking to get to a modest 4.5Ghz.

Not incredibly high, no as long as temps are 90c max for testing purposes.

No point tip-toeing through the tulips with tiny overclocks... May as well see what you can get away with for testing purposes and then afterward you can make a decision to lower the voltage a bit which might also mean you'll have to lower the CPU speed accordingly ...

Some say it's a bit high for day to day usage some say not as long as temperature is sensible..
I run my cpu at 1.375v for about 2 years now.. It's fine.

My previous cpu ran at 1.4v for about 7 years..

Mid 60's Centigrade max under stress?
That's cold unless your going for a 100% quiet system to cut down on fan noise but each to thier own I guess...

my 8600k when i got it would turbo upto 4.3ghz and stay there but temps would be high 60's, which was ok, as soon as i went above 4.6ghz on all cores it would quickily hit upper 80's under water, i looked into delidding but at first was scared to do it but when cpu temps reached low 90's back in the heatwave i took the plunge and delidded, suprisingly it was fairly easy and follwing guides for liquid metal application i put everything back together and was shocked at the temps.
at 4.6ghz on all 6 cores i was sitting in the hight 40's during gaming and benchmarks, when i saw this i begain to increase my overclock and was very happy when i got 5.1ghz at 1.32v at this stage under full load the cpu was in the mid 60's which was great, i ended up maxing out at 5.2ghz but voltages where stupid at that topping out at 1.46v which is high but temps were in the low 70's.

if your willing to delid the chip there are some serious gains to be had especally if you have a good chip

Back
Top Bottom