• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ocuk 7900gs 256mb help?

Soldato
Ok, but just don't buy a Q-tec. Terrible PSUs, loud, inneficient, only supply a fraction of what they are supposed to, they run hot and they have very little protection when they inevitably do blow up.

You'll most likely get asomething better from a couple of well know shops which obviously I can't name. If you order now from OcUK you will probably get it quite soon, not the end of the world if you have to wait a few days.

Associate
OP
btw when pc starts up it says that it's running the card at lower preformance etc cause of the lack of power supply!

if that is ok-ish for now then i'll order psu from ocuk now and wait till it gets here!!

Soldato
Raikiri said:
Ok, first rule of PSUs.

Do not buy Q-tec.

Second rule.

Do not buy Q-tec.

(You can't link there btw, competitor etc.) And at £45 for that pile of crap I would never buy anything from them.

HAHAHAHAHA LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :D :D

you call that a competitor? HAHAHAHA 45 quid for a qtec psu and the 550w one at that LOOOOOOOOOL they don;t even class as a competitor with prices and goods like that. LOOOOOOOOL

Soldato
Cyber-Mav said:
HAHAHAHAHA LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :D :D

you call that a competitor? HAHAHAHA 45 quid for a qtec psu and the 550w one at that LOOOOOOOOOL they don;t even class as a competitor with prices and goods like that. LOOOOOOOOL

Well, that was a nice, constructive and well articulated post ;)

I did mention that the prices are so high I would never buy anything from them, and theres no point him getting banned over something so trivial.

Soldato
for the op:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-009-HP
thats the psu im using, it a hiper type M 580w. its not a bad psu at all and i replaced my enermax 550w unit with this one and no problems so far. i got 4 hiper psus myself in different systems and have had over 14 in total for client machines and all were fine except for 1 whcih was a doa. but if you saw the condition of the boax it came in you would easily be able to say that its not gonna work.

if you do go with the hiper psu, don;t get the modular Type R unit since it has issues with failure due to excessive resistance at the connection terminals and older batches had the fan running in the wrong direction.

Associate
I have this card, do you want me to take some pictures of how its connected? :p

* edit, ok this probly wont help but it gave me somthing to do :D *

^^ This is the connect you should have coming out of it, daisey chan it to to a free connector you may have close buy ^^

^^ Erm this shoes it going into the PSU ^^

Try and get a new CPU, it it blows up chances are its going to blow all your components up with it, its to great lool, it says 550w but its running at about hmm 75w :D

Last edited:
Associate
If 350 will do then why are you talking about 500 watts,
There are a lot of cheap units out there so be careful where you buy from.
OCuk have a grate selection but there are others I’m using a X-power 500 watt it has all the connections you would need I got 2 80gig hard drives, 2 DVD burners, 2 OCUK 7900sg, there are 2 floppy connecters, 24 pin and plenty left over for more. it was I think £29 it was a half price sales job also my processor fan makes more noise than the PSU.
It is worth paying for a good quality unit so a 500 watt unit for about £50 should do you well

Soldato
ozzyDe said:
If 350 will do then why are you talking about 500 watts,

It is worth paying for a good quality unit so a 500 watt unit for about £50 should do you well

Erm, bit contradicting :p

The Ultra 500w PSUs if one of the first versions (with rounded cables, not flat) are actually quite poor quality and were quite well known for going boom. I suggested the Akasa as they are proven to be good quality and it will be fine for future upgrades to dual core / dx10 etc.

Associate
Mate, it looks like you misunderstood me, if you read the post again you will see that I suggested a good quality 500 watt unit, I did not say anything about ultra500 psu in fact I warned about cheap psu’s
And 350 watts psu add a couple of other devices and it will sound like its a truck so I was just saying its worth getting a new psu and as it must be affordable so a good quality 500 watt unit will keep him going with future upgrades
If you read the post again you will see that my end sentence was “ It is worth paying for a good quality unit so a 500 watt unit for about £50 should do you well”.
So you see at know point was I “Erm, bit contradicting” I was just giving some advice, but I do apologies for making you feel intimidated by my comments.

Associate
will my 480w be powerful enough for this card? (Tagan). this PSU has a blue 6 pin connector (3x2), which has PCI Express on it. kinda explains it to me ;). my PC is a bit noisy, has 2 big fans (14",12") and 4 smaller ones, but it doesn't bother me. i like the noise, lets me know it's working :)

Soldato
ozzyDe said:
Mate, it looks like you misunderstood me, if you read the post again you will see that I suggested a good quality 500 watt unit, I did not say anything about ultra500 psu in fact I warned about cheap psu’s
And 350 watts psu add a couple of other devices and it will sound like its a truck so I was just saying its worth getting a new psu and as it must be affordable so a good quality 500 watt unit will keep him going with future upgrades
If you read the post again you will see that my end sentence was “ It is worth paying for a good quality unit so a 500 watt unit for about £50 should do you well”.
So you see at know point was I “Erm, bit contradicting” I was just giving some advice, but I do apologies for making you feel intimidated by my comments.

Sorry, but the way you type makes you very hard to understand.

It was a simple misunderstanding, I thought you meant X-connect. From what I can find on the x-power PSU (http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/mainpages/product_detail.asp?pid=63 this one?) they are even worse than the X-connect.

And, like I said. You questioned me suggesting a 500w PSU and then go on to do the exact same yourself, makes no sense.

@OP - The Tagan will be fine :)

Associate
well it seems that now you feel silly for not being able to understand what I had said, there does not seem to be anyone else who could not understand but you,
You must have a confrontational personality, so after seeing your mistake you then actively go searching the web to see if you can pick fault with the X-power I use, to that I say get a life, by the way I was not asking you a question I was being rhetorical.
Again I apologise for not using simpler words it might have helped to prevent you from miss reading my reply. One last point I did not suggest that an X-power should be bought
I was simply saying there are bargains to be had, if x-power are crap my loss but its been faultless.

thank you and goodnight :p

Associate
OP
my card is running a treat now!!!

Armed Assault= most settings on high!!!! :)

thanks ppl for recommending this great card!!!

Great advice all!!

Merry xmas all!!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom