OCUK Asetek coolers

Associate
I'm considering an upgrade bundle from OCUK, probably a genome 2 or similar. I'll be upgrading from a 4470k currently using a Corsair Hydro H80i closed loop cooler in an Antec P180 case.

The bundles all include an 'Asetek 670LT 240mm High Performance CPU Cooler - 115X' or the upgraded version. I can't seem to find these for sale by themselves on OCUK to see the details, although there are plenty of similar 240 and 120mm closed loop coolers available.

So my question is around mounting one of these things in my old case... currently my 120mm rad is mounted at the back with a fan pushing though it, and I also have a 120mm fan pushing out the top, plus two extra 120mm fans cooling disks and graphics card at front and middle. There is no spare space for a 240mm rad at the back (PCI cards are below the current rad) but it looks like i could easily fit a 240mm rad in the top of the case, facing upwards. However, there is only one output grill there - at the back of the case facing upwards. So if i do fit a rad there, will there be enough airflow assuming both 120mm fans of a 240mm cooler push air upwards and (hopefully) out of the grill? Or is some of the hot air just going to recirculate back into the case? I could probably fit a 80 fan pulling air out of the back, but probably not if the 240 rad/fan assembly is too big. I would also have to do some DIY fitting as there are obviously no mounting holes apart from the 120mm grill.

What do people think? Has anyone fitted a 240mm rad/fan assembly into an Antec P180 or similar and if so how does it work? Or is anyone using a 120mm cooler and getting the same sort of overclock from a similar CPU/MB bundle?

Or is it time to just buy a new case - in which case i might as well just buy a new pre-built tower sans graphics card and throw my 1070 into it. I bought that case because it should last forever, well 12 years is forever in computer terms but i could maybe get another build out of it yet.... Details here if anyone deosnt remember what a P180 looks like :) https://www.hexus.net/tech/reviews/chassis/6012-antec-p180-still-great-chassis/?page=3

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £910.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

That's a pretty hefty price for the privilege of paying for a CPU that was found to not be a great overclocker when binned, and for a few buttons being pressed in the BIOS for you.

When it comes to liquid coolers, it's always a good idea to look at warranty as well. These things do fail, develop pump whine etc.

I would just buy the components individually and go with a Corsair 5-year warranty AIO (below model or better), and the price difference can also get you a new case.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £831.02 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

If you can manage to mount a motherboard, CPU, RAM and cooler into your existing case, then that's pretty much a full build you've carried out by yourself, so no need to get a pre-built.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. You are right about the bundle price, I should have checked it and yes I can overclock myself but I kind of assume you get the BIOS button clicking free with a bundle. I've been self building for the last 20 years, last 3 main PC builds have been OCUK MB/Processor kit upgrades. I will need a PCIe m.2 disk too with that lot since I'm currently stuck on SATA3, and I'm still torn between a 9700 and a 9900 anyway.

The question was will that 240mm cooler fit into my existing case, and given the saving I could just buy a new case - well actually I could just buy a new case with everything in it already and save myself the joys of building it, I'm getting too old for this stuff :). If I do that makes it all much easier as i can leave the 4770k in the old case with existing power etc and recycle it - whoever gets it probably wont want a massive P180 case though :) I was planning on throwing the old MB/PRoc/RAM into a smaller case for family recycling after the rebuild.

But has anyone fitted a 240mm Rad into a case designed for a 120mm fan only and with what kind of results? Will a 120mm rad be enough for a decent overclock on a 9700 or 9900 or does it really need a 240mm?

Back
Top Bottom