Poll: OcUK DC Meet #2

Which option would you prefer?

• Reading Beer Festival Saturday

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Reading, 3rd May, but not the beer festival

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Reading, 15th March

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Some other date/place (specify in thread)

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
OK then, unless anyone objects, let's call that one a wrap and start planning for 15th March. It would appear I have ended up as organiser by default, which I guess I don't mind as I suspect I'm the most local. You'd best be prepared for the consequences though as it's very rare I visit Reading and even rarer I go into a pub there. :p

I'll pop into Reading sometime over the next few weeks and find a venue of some kind. Or, better yet, if anyone knows of good places then by all means suggest them and I'll try and find those too. I'm somewhat busy house-clearing over the next month so can probably only dedicate one day to research.

Please note - as per last time it is likely that someone else will need to take over for those who wish to stay out very late (likely this time due to mentions of hotels etc.), as I'll probably catch the last or last-but-one train back home.

For the benefit of any latecomes, please note this will be strictly 18+ only. No fake IDs, no letters from the parents, no offers to look after yourself, no exceptions. Sorry if that upsets but there are good reasons for this.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was going to say, Stan will want Ales/Whisky. The pub in the station has a few Ales (how many from the left/right will it be this time?) but I have no doubt at all there are better places.

Associate
Okies I'm up for this, never been to Reading before so it'll be a voyage of discovery for me :p

If we're CONFIRMED this is going ahead I'll book myself into a hotel and get the train tickets too. Unless anyone's going past Nottingham to get there that is??

Matt

Associate
I think to be honest the Three Guineas (the one by the station :p) is a good place to meet. since its not hard to find if people are coming by train.

There is The Hobgoblin which is just down from sainsbury on the high street and would certainly satisfy your ale craving :) Not much room in there though.

Man of Honour
Yeah, that sounds like a good plan to me. Much better plan than last time. Not sure about the Hobgoblin though - bearing in mind it's Saturday I expect it'll get busy, so finding somewhere with a little more room might not be a bad idea. Of course, there's no harm in stopping by the Hobgoblin to sate Ale cravings. :)

Soldato
I was also about to recommend The Hobgoblin which is easy to get to but you will get stared at by the locals. It doesn't play music so you can talk and hear yourselves.
Then again you'll get stared at if you've not got your own mug nor do you list brewing as your main hobby! I like that pub though - a great finger in the eye of commercial pubs.

Other than that there's not many real pubs with real drinks (from small breweries)..

The Rising Sun - rock pub..

There's an O'Neils plus many others - I'll dig out our normal 12 pubs of christmas list for a starter.

You too can marvel at the rising toilet.. plus many other interesting things that Reading has to offer!

Last edited:
Soldato
I think to be honest the Three Guineas (the one by the station :p) is a good place to meet. since its not hard to find if people are coming by train.

There is The Hobgoblin which is just down from sainsbury on the high street and would certainly satisfy your ale craving :) Not much room in there though.

I went past the Three Guineas about a month ago and it was closed up with steel fencing and boards on the windows. :(
I've no idea if it's reopening or not. I hope so. It was a big part of London Irish games to me.

Soldato
I went past the Three Guineas about a month ago and it was closed up with steel fencing and boards on the windows. :(
I've no idea if it's reopening or not. I hope so. It was a big part of London Irish games to me.

Hobgoblin is easy to get to form the station.

Come out of the main exit, cross at the traffic lights then walk up street past the roundabout on your left with the station behind you.
Then you'll come to a crossing with the pitcher & piano bar on the corner - go straight over, with the station behind you. You'll enter the pedestrian area.
At the next street (the high street which is a big wide pedestrianised street) turn left.
As you walk down the high street you'll come to a road where the cars can travel. On the left is the Hobgoblin, on the right is the Oracle shopping centre entrance and a few coffee shops with outside seating.

Easy... They're still doing work to the Forum pub. Not sure about the 3Gs.

Man of Honour
Cool. I know where that is then - been past there countless times but didn't know the name of the place. :)

We'll see how the 3Gs does over the next month or so as it's still the better meeting place (IMO).

Associate
Well I can confirm that the 3Gs is still open. I passed it on the way to see Jimmy Carr at the Hexagon on Wednesday (great show :)) and it was definately open, so its possible it might have just been refurbished.

Back
Top Bottom