**OcUK Extreme Haswell bundle - A review!**

Soldato
After much looking about for my new Haswell build, I came to a conclusion, to get the best performance I need either a naked chip (risky, no warranty!!) or a binned chip which ultimately led me to this:

OcUK Extreme Intel Core i7 4770K @ 4.6GHz+ Extreme Overclocked Bundle

With the release of 8 Packs ultra high end systems came many questions about the chance to lay your hands on the best binned chips available, if you were one of these people then read on :)

The bundle & ordering

I opted for the bundle to come with the fantastic Gigabyte Z87X-OC motherboard with my choice of cooler being the EK Supremacy waterblock, total cost (including a TWO deal) came to something like £705.

No option to change the memory? I phoned CS about this to see if I could change out to some 2600mhz stuff, the only memory they will allow you to change to is another 1866 or lower kit - the overclock cannot be guaranteed otherwise. I suppose this is a smart move, as if they start throwing high perf kits at these bundle, they may find one with a weaker then usual IMC that can't cope! I will address the memory situation later next week (if prices haven't gone through the roof).

Option I would like to see - more say in the waterblock you want, I don't mean other brands by that, but it would have been nice to be given a choice between Acetal or Plexi tops! Or indeed nickel or copper surface.

Arrival & Installation

My order only took 4 working days to process and get out of the door, ordered Sunday morning and was dispatched the following Thursday, in my hand Friday! So quicker then the estimated 7 day build time, obviously this will change during busier periods.

20130906_195037.jpg

Everything arrived well packed, as usual :D

Invoice, this should ease the minds of some who were after binned chips!!!

20130906_195056.jpg

All the goodies readily installed from the shop, all you have to do is fit the cooler of your choice. Excuse photo quality, restricted to a phone that loves to flash (if you hadn't noticed!) for just now.

20130906_195309.jpg

20130906_195350.jpg

20130906_201312.jpg

Side note - EK really need to step up a little, the threads on the backplate were all kinds of messed up, fortunately I had an M4 tap to sort it out, others may find the posts will strip if they're forced!!

Testing

CPU is being cooled by an SR-1 360 with 3 Akasa Vipers, driven by a D5 pump W/ EK-XRes. A very much thrown together loop mostly from parts of my last build, delayed Enthoo has seen me keep the shed in place just now.

20130906_211710.jpg

CPUZ with the OcUK profile loaded!!

cpuz.jpg

These were the temps from around 15mins of AIDA64 stress testing:

temps.jpg

Final Thoughts!

If you want the very best Haswell chip without playing 'the lottery' this is just the ticket, superb bundle. I had a CS thread open throughout the process and was updated almost daily by Evoaddict on what was happening and when it was likely to ship.

Happy to take requests on any other testing, I will be going for a higher OC either tomorrow or when my PSC kit arrives on Tuesday and will update as such then :)

Associate
Nice review, pity we can't get a better set of options for Ram upgrades.
Now we just need the Enthoo to arrive so everything can be a installed

Associate
OcUK look good to their word that looks like a pretty decent chip at this stage.

The temps @4.8GHz are going to be the No.1 factor, their chip plus your cooling and ScottieB's warning on temp spikes from Haswell.

Soldato
OP
Will be having a play with the clocks tomorrow, first 4.8 then 5.0 for some benches, I'll probably leave it at 4.6 for 24/7 use. Then on to memory testing, I will try with the Kingston dimms provided but I can't see them being up to much.

Just about to order some 2666mhz TG Extreme C11, so should have them around the same time as the ripjawsX C6 kit that is en route :)

Soldato
OP
TG for raw mhz and RJX for stupidly low cas :)

4.7 seems fine so far with no additional voltage increase. Onto 4.8 & beyond!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you break the pricing down, you are paying in the region of £390 for the chip + OC service, though does this make it worth it:

4.8Ghz, gave it a very minor voltage bump of 0.010v for good measure, 10 mins AIDA64 stability testing at 100% load all threads...

4point8temps.jpg

Unless I hit a voltage wall this should be doing 5ghz with relative ease :)

Caporegime
£390.00 isnt bad at all tbh as yor guaranteed the oc. Ive spent a lot more on a few different cpu's in the last year, (x2 ivy bridge, current 4770k). Managed to boot into windows ok at 1.2625v at 4.5ghz. Not tested for stability yet. Though the previous owner had it running at 4.6ghz on 1.2500v. Board was a maximus VI extreme.

Have you considered delidding and going with a naked mount?

Soldato
OP
Nice.:cool:

Been thinking along those lines also for Haswell, apart from the overclock you know everything should work straight out the box.:)

Yep that's always another bonus, especially as I hate troubleshooting without spares available :D

£390.00 isnt bad at all tbh as yor guaranteed the oc. Ive spent a lot more on a few different cpu's in the last year, (x2 ivy bridge, current 4770k). Managed to boot into windows ok at 1.2625v at 4.5ghz. Not tested for stability yet. Though the previous owner had it running at 4.6ghz on 1.2500v. Board was a maximus VI extreme.

Have you considered delidding and going with a naked mount?

Naked was my original idea, though looking at those temps it may be a wasted effort (especially if I damage the chip!!). Provided I don't hit any absolutely massive temp spikes the lid can stay on :)

Soldato
OP
Looking good so far mate :)
5Ghz and that lovely 2666mhz ram and you're getting some fantastic Physics scores on 3D11 :D

just need a GPU that can compete next!! For now I'll settle for trying to smash my way to the top of the SuperPI table :D

True, you look like youve got a lot of headroom in regards to temps. Id be quite wary of delidding too tbh as im scared id do some damage.

Exactly my concern too, I'm very clumsy with small objects, its a cert that I'd damage/loose something.

Soldato
Nice review.

Can I ask why you have a lower bus speed? And does that help in regards to voltages and temps?
Always looking to expand my knowledge, which as you noticed, is a little limited, so any advice or insight is always welcome.

Soldato
I'd have been quite tempted by this bundle if I'd seen it when I was getting almost exactly this setup.

That said, I'm not sure I'd really need the extra 300MHz to what I have now (admittedly it may be 500MHz or more, but I'm guessing the extra OC headroom isn't guaranteed) for the things I'm likely to use it for (gaming with a single GPU at 1080p and converting some DVDs to mp4s). So I was probably just as well saving £130-ish. That's well on the way to enough for a second 7950, which may be more benefit.

It still would've been tempting if I'd spotted it though (if it was around when I was buying).

Soldato
OP
Nice review.

Can I ask why you have a lower bus speed? And does that help in regards to voltages and temps?
Always looking to expand my knowledge, which as you noticed, is a little limited, so any advice or insight is always welcome.

Tbh I'm not sure what is going on with the base clock, its set to 100.00 in the bios so its probably a little fluctuation as can happen with a base clock, iirc a Z68 setup I had would occasionally bounce between 98.00 & 101.00.

Associate
Exactly my concern too, I'm very clumsy with small objects, its a cert that I'd damage/loose something.

It makes no sense to de-lid that CPU until you hit the thermal barrier which won't happen until (or if) you up the volts.

What you should do is push the CPU frequency up until you start seeing problems, then back off 100MHz and have a think about what to do next, 1.35v shouldn't give you any grey hairs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll most certainly be leaving the lid on now, the gains I'd get from going naked would be negligible at best, at my highest clock I'm still a good 40c away from the TJmax and a good 25-30c away from my comfort zone.

Well all I've managed in a short period of time this morning is:

4.8 = 1.32v, ~57c
5.0 = 1.325v, ~60c
5.1 = 1.33v (BSOD after windows splash)

Haven't changed uncore or anything yet (set at 42) or adjusted any other voltage settings such as LLC.
I'll leave pushing the core voltage any higher until I see what kind of extra strain a better memory kit places on the CPU

I will reseat once I rebuild (hopefully next month! Pull your finger out phanteks!!) as one core seems to be spiking a good 5+c when under load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom