• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4080 16GB review thread

Caporegime
Founders Edition

Asus

Colorful

Gainward

MSI

Palit

Zotac

Group Test

Last edited:
Video reviews

Hardware Unboxed

NVIDIA’s Lost It: RTX 4080 16GB GPU Review & Benchmarks

Paul's Hardware

Digital Foundry

Hardware Canucks

LTT

JayzTwoCents

Tech YES City

Techtesters

Last edited:
Scratching my head wondering who this card is aimed at! People with that kinda money to burn on a GPU would surely just go for the 4090.
I also thought the 4070 was out at the same time, but it aint :(

It is the RTX4070! Nvidia basically inserted the AD103 into the desktop lineup which is about the same size as the GA104 from the last generation.

So it is technically an RTX3070 replacement sold at an RTX3090/RTX3090TI level price!

They are having a laugh. Wait until they relaunch this as and RTX4070 Super for "only" £750 and it will be some value for money champion. Probably just in time for Atomic Heart and then make sure Ampere is gimped in the game, just like Kepler was gimped compared to Maxwell.

They literally took the RTX3070 replacement and will make sure you will pay significantly more for it.

What's this about Kepler being gimped compared to Maxwell? Got links to show what was gimped?

Didn't you forget the tessellation based effects ran very poorly on Kepler? The AMD GCN dGPUs could manually reduce tessellation in the driver software. Kepler couldn't until people complained so much,CDPR introduced a tessellation slider into the game to placade Kepler users.

Last edited:
Crysis 2 and witcher 3, yup valid points there, wasn't that largely because it was tied into the "gameworks" blackbox of nvidia with the "hairworks" and whatever the other one was though? That and as you said, there was no option in game to adjust the effect/tessellation, with the new nvidia strength i.e. RT, every game has the ability to scale the RT settings to what works best for said hardware i.e. it's not just simply an on or off switch like we had with "gameworks" and "physx" effects.

Maybe nvidia could do something similar with future titles, time will tell....

Problem we will have is a bit like when talking about ampere vs rdna 2 RT games, you'll get that one side who say "nvidia sponsored games overdo RT to make rdna 2 look bad" but reality is, they aren't "overdoing" or making RT more "complex" than it needs to be, it's just simply RT is incredibly demanding and the likes of cp 2077, DL 2, metro ee have RT dialled back substantially in the grand scheme of things.

I can't comment on if the improvements mentioned by nvidia for the 40xx, cyberpunk overdrive RT mode are possible on ampere and turing but even if it wasn't possible to gain the same improvements that the 40xx will see.... I bet you people will say "zOMG nvidia have gimped ampere RT" anyway :cry: ;)

But with the effects in those games,it was quite clear tessellation was being overused and Nvidia wasn't interest in optimising the effects for Kepler. It was the same with PhysX effects,and it is totally in the interest of Nvidia not to make Ampere generation run the effects well and optimise for Ada Lovelace as they want to make you buy a new dGPU. But the big issue here is Nvidia is still overpricing the RTX3000 series,so you are still paying above RRP for last generation performance.

Yeah Nvidia hoodwinked everyone by changing the die naming convention.

Due to reasons watching videos is a bit difficult right now. Could someone please summarise where this cards performance level is at.

About 20% faster than an RTX3090/RTX3090TI according to TPU IIRC.

Ho

Hopefully people will start to also realise the card you bought 3 years ago is still good enough to play games. Its been like that for years you only really needed to upgrade to play 1 or 2 AAA titles even then you could just dial down the settings. Its what GPU settings are for.
This time round its only to play 4k at decent frame rates and the 4k owners when you consider the whole picture are a tiny percentage still but if they can spend £800 on a 144mhz 4k Monitor they can afford £1500+ prices.
Wait until something like Atomic Heart is out and people then "have" to upgrade at any price. PCMR is just too full of weak willed people.

Back
Top Bottom