• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5600XT review thread

Soldato
Normally they would have reduced the cores and kept the clocks a little lower and allowed overclocking more.

I didn't guess they were going to upgrade the cards performance, that's for sure, after the 2060 price drop, I really thought they would have reduced price as well.

Soldato
Look at the results of the Red Devil 5600 XT
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/powercolor-radeon-rx-5600-xt-red-devil/27.html

Overall, when averaged over our testing suite at 1080p resolution, we see the PowerColor RX 5600 XT Devil beat the NVIDIA RTX 2060, with a slim 2% leadan important win. The card also slightly beats AMD's aging Radeon RX Vega 64, which is just as important a victory. The NVIDIA GeForce 16-series is far behind, as the GTX 1660 Ti is 17% slower, and the GTX 1660 Super is 19% slower.
This chip was never designed to compete against the 1660 IMHO. And this particular sku, with the updated bios, beats a 2060! But wait there is more nuggets of information:

Temperatures are a bit higher than competing cards, but still perfectly fine. Noise levels are outstanding. With only 28 dBA, the card is whisper quiet even when fully loaded. However, other cards are emitting just as little noise this round. For the RX 5700 XT, the Red Devil was the clear winner; here, the noise differences are tiny. In a surprise reversal, AMD's graphics cards are now quieter than their competing NVIDIA counterparts, who would have expected that.
So the only reason why temps are slightly higher is to make the card quieter.

But here is the meat of this post:
The secret sauce behind these impressive thermals is that AMD undervolted their Navi 10 GPU. Normally the GPU is designed to run at 1.15 V to 1.20 V. On the RX 5600 XT it ticks at 0.9 V before BIOS update and 1.0 V after the update. This brings with it tremendous power savings at the cost of maximum operating frequency. But limited frequency is actually something AMD wants.
These 5600xt on the RD don't appear to be just binned 5700 chips but revised/respun chips. They were able to reduce the core voltage of 1.15 - 1.20 volts down to 1 freaking volt! That's huge find! Before the updated bios it was only .9V. And we have a 5600 XT RD that beats a 2060 handily.

Now he goes on to say that the 5600 xt could tie/beat a 5700 with a heavy overclock (remember that's just an assumption). However, if you look at the results it's clear you wouldn't need the added .20V or 200mV in order to achieve that hypothetical scenario and that's at 6gb vs 8gb. Which indicates to me that these are some sort of revised/respun gpus being used in these 5600 XT RD.

Cliff Note:
AMD's 1.0 volt 5600 XT RD sku beats a 2060.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can a 5700 be undervolted to 1.0v ? Going on Vega memory they were often overvolted at stock.

A respin would be interesting though.
At 1750 MHz boost and 1750 MHz memory 24/7 stable on every 5700 card? Not that I've seen. I've seen UV around 1600-1700Mhz though. However, they still would have a 2GB memory advantage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I really thought they would have reduced price as well.

I said before and now Gibbo said too that once 550/560/570 dry up in stock the 5600's can only head to £200 which is the sweet spot, it just aint gonna be on release month thats for sure. Hoping some big navi news will pave the way for where the higher tier is going to battle.

Soldato
I said before and now Gibbo said too that once 550/560/570 dry up in stock the 5600's can only head to £200 which is the sweet spot, it just aint gonna be on release month thats for sure. Hoping some big navi news will pave the way for where the higher tier is going to battle.

Impatience gets the better of me I admit.

Soldato
Impatience gets the better of me I admit.

I would love to sink into a couple of 5600's, as they are nice. Thing is with memory not being 8Gb, its a sidegrade at best from a Vega and also mGPU is in bad shape or crossfire would have been a nice dabble. £270 too steep IMO, these need to be about £210 tops to milk the segment.

Soldato
I would love to sink into a couple of 5600's, as they are nice. Thing is with memory not being 8Gb, its a sidegrade at best from a Vega and also mGPU is in bad shape or crossfire would have been a nice dabble. £270 too steep IMO, these need to be about £210 tops to milk the segment.

I read that AMD has officially dropped crossfire now.

Soldato
In fact its the wording that people dont understand. My take is they may not be advertising it, but its there to be used if people develop it in their games:

AMD has dropped the CrossFire brand, and will no longer use it to refer to their multi-GPU products. The functionality that it provided still remains, and AMD has made a statement explaining why they are no longer using the name and what will happen with DirectX 12 going forwards.

Soldato
In fact its the wording that people dont understand. My take is they may not be advertising it, but its there to be used if people develop it in their games:

People understand what's going on perfectly. Crossfire has been killed for new products (VII and newer). That explicit DX12 mGPU works for some games doesn't change that, just like when you are able to use AMD + NV gpu together in AotS and it works fine doesn't mean crossfire isn't dead. Essentially what AMD did is tell people to hope devs do the work of supporting mGPU natively, i.e. AMD does 0 work on it anymore. In DX11 & past eras you'd get mGPU support through drivers from the vendor (i.e. AMD/NV), that's what Crossfire/SLI were. Today, it still works for Nvidia (SLI = Nvlink), and they are in fact even developing further (with CB SLI) but Nvidia is also happy to kill SLI support for most of its GPUs as well (eg anything with a chip lower than a TU104 - 2060 KO excluded).

So, to re-iterate: Crossfire is dead. Using 2x AMD GPUs that DON'T support Crossfire is still possible, in explicit DX12 mGPU supporting games ala SotTR etc. In games where you could use crossfire before, eg Vega 64 Crossfire running Crysis 3, you can no longer do so with something like 2x 5700 XT, because there's no crossfire support for those cards.

Soldato
Using 2x AMD GPUs that DON'T support Crossfire is still possible

Precisely what was raised in the thread.

Saying it 'does not support' is not akin to 'mGPU still works if the product wants it to'. What I am agreeing with you is the term 'crossfire' is now dropped. What is interesting will be after the statements of 5000 range 'not supporting', if they do in fact run on titles like the earlier tube guys video highlights, as that is a 5600xt and it is running a benchmark using 2 cards together.

Soldato
Precisely what was raised in the thread.

Saying it 'does not support' is not akin to 'mGPU still works if the product wants it to'. What I am agreeing with you is the term 'crossfire' is now dropped. What is interesting will be after the statements of 5000 range 'not supporting', if they do in fact run on titles like the earlier tube guys video highlights, as that is a 5600xt and it is running a benchmark using 2 cards together.

You're not understanding. Crossfire isn't just a marketing word, it's also the underlying driver support for mGPU irrespective of what devs choose to do besides that. That's what's dropped & most important. That's why 2 Vega 64s can run properly in something like Crysis 3 but 2 5700 XTs can't!

Back
Top Bottom