• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5600XT review thread

Soldato
They (manuf.) have just got better at autoclocking and termed 'boost'. Nothing has changed, instead of manually probing for the stable 'boost' it now does it all, overclocking isnt really a thing anymore.

You know what I'm talking about. The 5700 and 5700 xt are not hard locked. You can overclock till you burn the darn things out. The 5600 XT is locked to a max limit so you can't get faster than the 5700.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
You know what I'm talking about. The 5700 and 5700 xt are not hard locked. You can overclock till you burn the darn things out. The 5600 XT is locked to a max limit so you can't get faster than the 5700.

Yeah that makes sense. I was on about cards in general these days and even the ryzen cpu's where out of the box they dont have much room left to squeeze out.

Soldato
Yeah that makes sense. I was on about cards in general these days and even the ryzen cpu's where out of the box they dont have much room left to squeeze out.

Yeah, that is a shame. Intel did rule in that regard, and still seem to... if people have a heat sync the size of titanic and a sub-power station either side of their house ;) :D

Nvidia is normally worse for lockdowns though. The 2060 KO has no power limit that can be increased at all, and nothing can be modded. I am hoping the 5600 xt there will be a way found.

Associate
Quick question for the 5600XT buyers, Having a minor buyers remorse ....., got Sapphire Pulse 5600XT to go in a 3600/16gb ram machine for the daughter, I thought I had matched it to the monitor fairly well, but as usual question everything, the moniots the Samsung 29WK600 its 2560x1080 75hz Freesync, fair match up or should I consider swapping to the 8gb 5700/5700XT's ? Cheers again !

Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade soon but the VRAM worries me a bit.

How does 6GB cut it at 1440p these days, does it leave much headroom? Do many games need more?

I can't help feeling that 6GB will be the new 3GB and I'll be left wishing I had just a bit more again.

Soldato
I'm looking to upgrade soon but the VRAM worries me a bit.

How does 6GB cut it at 1440p these days, does it leave much headroom? Do many games need more?

I can't help feeling that 6GB will be the new 3GB and I'll be left wishing I had just a bit more again.
Why would you consider a 5600xt for 1440p gaming? This is a 1080p card that can do 1440p if you lower enough IQ settings.
That's why it's only 6GB card. Like Th0nt said if you want 8GB just get the 5700.

Soldato
Why would you consider a 5600xt for 1440p gaming? This is a 1080p card that can do 1440p if you lower enough IQ settings.
That's why it's only 6GB card. Like Th0nt said if you want 8GB just get the 5700.

80fps+ in BFV, Ultra detail preset, is good enough for me and that's probably the most demanding game I play.

Soldato
80fps+ in BFV, Ultra detail preset, is good enough for me and that's probably the most demanding game I play.
BFV is well known game that is optimized for Radeon cards. However, that goes without saying. If you want to solidify 1440p gaming you would need to consider a 5700. I wouldn't recommend a 5600xt for just 1440p without informing that IQ setting would still need to be lowered.

Associate
Quick question for the 5600XT buyers, Having a minor buyers remorse ....., got Sapphire Pulse 5600XT to go in a 3600/16gb ram machine for the daughter, I thought I had matched it to the monitor fairly well, but as usual question everything, the moniots the Samsung 29WK600 its 2560x1080 75hz Freesync, fair match up or should I consider swapping to the 8gb 5700/5700XT's ? Cheers again !

At 75Hz the 5600 XT will do well but for longevity a 5700/XT will definitely add some extra future proofing. If toning down some settings isn't an issue it's fine.

Soldato
BFV is well known game that is optimized for Radeon cards. However, that goes without saying. If you want to solidify 1440p gaming you would need to consider a 5700. I wouldn't recommend a 5600xt for just 1440p without informing that IQ setting would still need to be lowered.

I take your point that overall it is a borderline 1440p card but looking at a few benchmark results over various games, it does surprisingly well - especially with the increased memory performance brought by the new BIOS update. It looks like a fairly solid "foot in the door" 1440p card, with just enough performance to reach standard monitor refresh rates.

I'm just wondering how full that 6GB of VRAM gets at 1440p.

Soldato
I take your point that overall it is a borderline 1440p card but looking at a few benchmark results over various games, it does surprisingly well - especially with the increased memory performance brought by the new BIOS update. It looks like a fairly solid "foot in the door" 1440p card, with just enough performance to reach standard monitor refresh rates.

I'm just wondering how full that 6GB of VRAM gets at 1440p.
That's going to depend on the game. There are 2 Achilles Heels
-open world games
-Unreal Engine games (although I've seen Radeon improvements in this engine as of recent)
And the outlier is going to be Cyberpunk as well. It's not clear how much RTG will be involved in this game. But the point is that it really does depend on the game.
Be that as it may, sure, as long as you stay within games optimized well for Radeon 1440p is very doable with little to no IQ tweaking.

Soldato
-open world games
-Unreal Engine games (although I've seen Radeon improvements in this engine as of recent)
And the outlier is going to be Cyberpunk as well. It's not clear how much RTG will be involved in this game. But the point is that it really does depend on the game.
Be that as it may, sure, as long as you stay within games optimized well for Radeon 1440p is very doable with little to no IQ tweaking.

I'm clueless when it comes to 1440p. Do you have any examples of specific VRAM usage figures for various games? I literally have no idea.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
-open world games

ECH is spot on. From my absorbing of the content made so far, the RAM will get maxxed out at some point - from certain games. Its speed helps negate that in most cases. So your at the fork in the road, future proof that slightly and pay the extra £30 for the 5700. Or.. you can abuse the 5600 for what its worth and then sell it on a year or so later and just get a better card there is nothing to lose either way.

Soldato
I'm clueless when it comes to 1440p. Do you have any examples of specific VRAM usage figures for various games? I literally have no idea.
I've found that vram usage vs what's actually needed is a very microscopic topic to cover. Sure a game could use 8 gb but what does it need before the game hitches, stutters, etc?
What I found more apt to the subject is what game(s) are fully optimized for Radeon. That's the key. Like I said before such examples are sandbox games. GTA V, Watch Dogs, Division 1/2, Shadow of Mordor, Witcher, etc have been overall problematic. Then there are the older Unreal Engine games.

Back
Top Bottom