*** OcUK VR Sim Racing Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Tried to find you earlier, around about 19.45-8 ish to no avail. I'm up for the series in the new year anyway, though i might have to miss Silverstone. I get selective on what AMS2 DLC i buy, buying the same ole tracks like monza and silverstone over again goes beyond all willing.

Some technical issues to start with but we managed it in the end

Soldato
OP
Had my first go at AMS2 last night. Used the car mentioned in the OP and drove on the Brand's Hatch track. Oh, yes, using an xbox controller.

Played for almost an hour, I had to stop as I was getting queasy in my stomach. Hopefully that will wear off as I get my racing VR legs under me.

What was the session like? Pretty rubbish to be honest :) In the whole hour I only managed to complete one lap(1.56) In fact you might as well just call me the lawnmower man, as I spent most of the time driving up and down the grass on the side of the track. :p

In my defence, I was using an old Xbox 360 controller that I hadn't used in years and the triggers were a bit spotty, especially the left trigger. Going to try it with my Xbox series X controller next time.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to say thanks to Mr.Cookie and SimonRigga for helping(mocking) me yesterday. Their encouraging laughter really brought comfort to me as they lapped me again and again and again. :cry:

so long as you had fun that's all that matters

Soldato
OP
I don't know if I've mentioned this, and I don't want to be a shill, but I've pretty much got ams2 and AC/ACC collecting dust - pretty much only playing iracing the last 2 months. I really hoped I wouldn't like it and it would run terrible and feel terrible - but it's great. ****. Which sucks, because everything cost money. I bought the 7 or 8 usual suspect tracks, the lmp porsche, gt4 porsche, gt3 ferrari, super formula and f3 cars, and I am enjoying it so much. I still haven't raced against a human lol. IDK just haven't felt the need to do so, it's not like I have the A.I maxed out

No, my fav is iracing by a long way but a lot of people can't afford it, and it would take a lot of money to complete the season in #1

Soldato
OP
Have a go in the formula vee and let me know what you all think. We need something open top and not too fast to try and make the racing quite close

The car being a bit tricky might make for some interesting races lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good news, openxr toolkit does work with AMS2. You just need to download and replace one .dll file.

You can enable CAS sharpening, foveated rendering (gave me 10% performance boost), set world scale to 107% and fov to 94% to make everything look correct size, and more importantly you can set some post processing like sun filters, contrast, brightness, saturation. I found some settings on a race forum, it changes the picture from a computer game to almost real life :eek:

I'm running crystal resolution with MSAA at 60% load.

Still tinkering.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
what, 2880x2880? You know Crystal runs 4320x5100 per eye @ 100% , right?
I managed 10 cars, everything on low and MSAA on low and FFR on 85%

Yep well over 4000 res, although maybe not exactly same as crystal

Still fine tuning it, everything on low but still looks amazing

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sure. Using a Quest 3 via Link cable.
  • Bitrate set to 400 via Oculus Debug Tool/Tray tool.
  • Set to 90hz/100% (think I should increase the render resolution, will try next).
In game (from what I can remember)
  • Anistoprophic filtering x 16
  • MSAA low
  • Textures high
  • Car textures high
  • Environmental medium
  • most other options low/medium.

What is the resolution reporting as in steamvr?

Looking at your GPU in sig (unless you have since upgraded), you won't be able to run at those settings. I'd recommended first taking MSAA off, turning everything to low, set the headset to run at 72hz and then focus on the resolution. Once you get that right, see how much headroom you have for anything else.

Don't worry too much about low/medium/high. I run everything at low and it still looks amazing. Resolution and dialing out the grain/shimmer is number 1.

The quest 3 is also having to encode, so IMHO 72hz is better anyway as you'll get less latency and far more gpu headroom.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the signature reminder, updated as i now have an rtx 3090.

I've sorted the issue, increased rendering resolution to 1.5 in Oculus settings and now it looks much better.

Still holding 90fps with 25-30% headroom available, though will also try 72.

Making progress on the lap times too

That's good, also I just found out that the openxr toolkit works with AMS2. You can get an extra 10% performance boost using that.

Back
Top Bottom