Full Race Results

Greboth - 25
glenimp617 - 18 +1 Fastest Lap
RevBillyG - 15
DangerousDan - 12
mrcookie73 - 10
$hi - 8
R1gg4 - 6

Huge thanks to all those who participated in tonights event!

Soldato
Just got a Meta Quest 3, needed a distraction from life and it's served it's purpose well over the last 72 hours.

Finally tried it in iRacing last night. All I can say is WOW. I started with a test drive in the F4 at Brands Hatch. The sense of depth you get with VR is insane. Being able to focus on the road ahead and then switch my focus to the halo was so simple, but amazing.

Then I started driving, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was. I'm pretty good at this car/track combo compared to others, but the ability to look into a corner, especially tighter ones, was so beneficial.

I then did a TCR race online at Laguna Seca. Hands down the best gaming experience I've ever had. I was able to not concede positions so easily as I had more confidence when two wide, especially through corners. The corkscrew suddenly became so much easier to go through. I had some seriously close racing and I felt like I was there in the car at Laguna Seca. Just mind-blowing.

Anyway, I know you all know how this feels already, but I had to share.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got a Meta Quest 3, needed a distraction from life and it's served it's purpose well over the last 72 hours.

Finally tried it in iRacing last night. All I can say is WOW. I started with a test drive in the F4 at Brands Hatch. The sense of depth you get with VR is insane. Being able to focus on the road ahead and then switch my focus to the halo was so simple, but amazing.

Then I started driving, and I couldn't believe how much easier it was. I'm pretty good at this car/track combo compared to others, but the ability to look into a corner, especially tighter ones, was so beneficial.

I then did a TCR race online at Laguna Seca. Hands down the best gaming experience I've ever had. I was able to not concede positions so easily as I had more confidence when two wide, especially through corners. The corkscrew suddenly became so much easier to go through. I had some seriously close racing and I felt like I was there in the car at Laguna Seca. Just mind-blowing.

Anyway, I know you all know how this feels already, but I had to share.

That's awesome you've enjoyed it so much, it really is fantastic.

I've had the awful experience recently of having to revert back to a single flat screen (albeit 24" 1080p) because my HP reverb g2 has a faulty cable and I can't play in VR until I source a replacement.

It's taken out all of the enjoyment I was getting from racing, not to mention it's so much harder to race. I keep moving my head to look into the corner, see who is alongside, and I've got the same view! Dreadful.

Soldato
Is it not easy to find a replacement?

One downside to me discovering a love of VR, is realising that my 7800XT isn't really enough for it. I'm getting 90fps in most places, but the quality isn't what I would want. It also drops to 45fps at times during races, which is playable to a point, but not as enjoyable.

Nvidia seems to be the way to go. I'm about to come into some money so I'm going to upgrade, probably to a 4070 TI Super. Hoping that being able to use SPS will improve my performance and allow me to up the visual quality a bit.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it not easy to find a replacement?

One downside to me discovering a love of VR, is realising that my 7800XT isn't really enough for it. I'm getting 90fps in most places, but the quality isn't what I would want. It also drops to 45fps at times during races, which is playable to a point, but not as enjoyable.

Nvidia seems to be the way to go. I'm about to come into some money so I'm going to upgrade, probably to a 4070 TI Super. Hoping that being able to use SPS will improve my performance and allow me to up the visual quality a bit.

A new cable can be sourced for circa £120~, however the Reverb G2 has some potential longevity isssues, and i'm not sure how long the new cable would last either. So I'm abit torn on what to do.

I switched from a 6700XT to a 4070 purely for the VR uplift in iRacing, and being able to use some specfic Nvidia features such as foveated viewing in OpenXR.

Soldato
After racing more on the 7800XT I am more convinced that it's just not good enough for VR. It's playable, but it doesn't look as good as I know it can, and the performance is very hit and miss.

Thankfully this just arrived:

Last edited:
Soldato
Just iRacing, which doesn't have support for AMD's equivalent of Nvidia's SPS functionality. SPS, as I understand it, means the GPU is only rendering a single image for display in VR goggles, rather than an image for each lens.

I believe the 4070 Ti Super is a more powerful card than the 7800XT, so I'm fully expecting to be able to up the quality and achieve a fairly solid 90fps. I hope I'm not wrong. I can't test it out until later unfortunately.

Last edited:
Soldato
I got my new GPU up and running and it's so much better. I've been able to up my graphics settings and still have a better and more solid frame rate. Still need to do some tweaking but I'm very happy so far.

********* NOTICE ********
**** Change of Date ****
***** Silverstone *****

-------------- 26.06.2024 --------------

The date for the Silverstone race has been moved forward a day to Wednesday 26th June

Sorry if it's obvious and I missed it, but is this something anyone can join? Or is it a series that has the same people each week? Is it iRacing?

What car do you race?

Last edited:
Associate
I got my new GPU up and running and it's so much better. I've been able to up my graphics settings and still have a better and more solid frame rate. Still need to do some tweaking but I'm very happy so far.

Sorry if it's obvious and I missed it, but is this something anyone can join? Or is it a series that has the same people each week? Is it iRacing?

What car do you race?
AMS2. Look at page one :)

Always a pleasure to see new victims ;)

Soldato
I don't have AMS2 unfortunately. Pretty all in in iRacing at the moment.

I spent some more time tweaking things yesterday for my VR setup in iRacing. I've switched to OpenXR and rather than immediately dismissing it, I've actually played with the settings and now very happy with it. The image is very sharp, and I like the ability to add post processing to fix some of the washed out colours.

I did a GT3 race at the Nordschleife last night, 28th on the grid of 30, so had loads going on in front of me, and I had a pretty solid 90fps throughout, with only a couple of noticeable dips. It was bloody brilliant.

Last edited:
Associate
I don't have AMS2 unfortunately. Pretty all in in iRacing at the moment.

I spent some more time tweaking things yesterday for my VR setup in iRacing. I've switched to OpenXR and rather than immediately dismissing it, I've actually played with the settings and now very happy with it. The image is very sharp, and I like the ability to add post processing to fix some of the washed out colours.

I did a GT3 race at the Nordschleife last night, 28th on the grid of 30, so had loads going on in front of me, and I had a pretty solid 90fps throughout, with only a couple of noticeable dips. It was bloody brilliant.
It's dead cheap on CDkeys. No excuse :p
As for the DLC, wait until it's on sale.

Back
Top Bottom