*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
I don't think I can post here about that as OC UK sell headsets.

Ah no probs, thank you. Forgot they sold them tbh.

Saw one for £250 (a couple of caveats but not significant) but out of stock now, which seems to be more of an issue now.

Yeah unfortunately seems to be OOS in most places, especially for the 64GB which I'm after. A lot of scalpers out there too with hugely inflated prices.

Soldato
Has anyone successfully got VR working in FS2020 with the Quest 2? When I start VR I see the graphics moving with the headset on the monitor but in the headset I just see an orange void. I've tried both Link and Wireless.

Soldato
Just bagged one but a little confused. Are there essentially two versions of Beat Saber? Is the PC/VR Link/Steam version the better option?

There are actually three versions of Beat Saber
Oculus PC
Steam VR
Oculus Quest Native

Beat Saber isn't cross-buy (you don't get the other platform free on Oculus when you buy it), but the music packs are. I.e. buy a music pack for quest and you get the rift pack for free if you own the rift version, and vice-versa.

For gameplay, PC is better for modding, but native is better for wireless play. You can mod the Quest version for custom songs using sidequest, but there's more risk because Oculus isn't keen on mods for native Quest games.

Soldato
Just bagged one but a little confused. Are there essentially two versions of Beat Saber? Is the PC/VR Link/Steam version the better option?

This is a tough one.

The PC version looks better, and easier to mod.

But... there will be less latency in the native version. And do you really want to faff around with a Link cable or Virtual Desktop every time you want to play this sort of game?

Soldato
This is a tough one.

The PC version looks better, and easier to mod.

But... there will be less latency in the native version. And do you really want to faff around with a Link cable or Virtual Desktop every time you want to play this sort of game?

Yeah, its a tricky one. I ended up going for the native version as I figured it was a game where any latency would be bad, but I do wish I could have gone the steam route for modding.

Its a shame there is no demo on steam else I would have checked it out and seen how it felt. Though I guess you could always buy the steam version and refund if it doesn't work well for you, I didn't think of that until now.

Soldato
Right, I'm back here to sound off to you lot as my partner doesn't know what the hell I am on about.

I am STILL trying to get my Quest 2 to connect with a USB 3 connection. No luck yet, but lots of troubleshooting.

If anyone can point me in a new direction, that would be amazing as I about to give in a chuck 90 notes at the official cable, which I’m still not convinced would work for me either!

So, so far, I have tried with three different USB 3 cables from Amazon. I have tried them in a laptop with a USB 3 port, Oculus detects them as USB 2. I have tried them with two USB 3 expansion cards on my computer with all different combinations of drivers and even USB BIOS settings. All to no avail.

I have today received my first ever USB 3 flash drive in the post, in an attempt to test the transfer speeds and try to identify if the USB 3 ports are working correctly. On the laptop with the dedicated USB 3 port, I get a full, as advertised on the box, 130 MB/s read speed from the flash drive. However, I get a disappointing 78-87 MB/s read speed on my USB 3 expansion card in my PC, and both the laptop and my PC get a 30 MB/s read speed on their USB 2 ports.

So, this suggests that the Laptop should be fine. It has a USB 3 port, it reads at USB 3 speeds, so what is the weak link, the cable? So, none of the three cables work? Despite many a review on Amazon saying it works perfectly with their Quest/Rift? But it would seem to suggest the cable is a weak link.

And as for my PC, the read speeds don’t fill me with much confidence even if I am able to get it to register as USB 3. So, buying the official cable still doesn’t feel like it will work for me.

So now I’m waiting delivery of a third USB 3 expansion card, one which is recommended by Oculus. I’ll see if I can get any more performance out of that.

My thoughts right now are that the cables look all to be crap and the expansion card is poor. But maybe the official cable will work with the Laptop. But I’d need a USB-A to USB-C converter as it doesn’t have a C port (bringing another factor into the mix). And if that didn’t work, I’d have no easy way of ruling out the converter as the failure point. For my PC, I’m just hoping the latest card will get me the expected transfer speeds and I’ll go from there. If not, them I’m all out of ideas.

Soldato
Oh lar de dar :p What did you use for the test?

The oculus software reported it as such. If you mean what gear, gigabyte x370 k7 motherboard has a usb c connection on it. But at least it means I can tell you the cable definitely works, and perhaps another from the same company could be worth checking (if you haven't already).

Soldato
The oculus software reported it as such. If you mean what gear, gigabyte x370 k7 motherboard has a usb c connection on it. But at least it means I can tell you the cable definitely works, and perhaps another from the same company could be worth checking (if you haven't already).

Thanks for the pointer. I'll check them out. I'm getting 370 mbps regardless of configuration at the moment.

Soldato
Right, I'm back here to sound off to you lot as my partner doesn't know what the hell I am on about.

I am STILL trying to get my Quest 2 to connect with a USB 3 connection. No luck yet, but lots of troubleshooting.

If anyone can point me in a new direction, that would be amazing as I about to give in a chuck 90 notes at the official cable, which I’m still not convinced would work for me either!

So, so far, I have tried with three different USB 3 cables from Amazon. I have tried them in a laptop with a USB 3 port, Oculus detects them as USB 2. I have tried them with two USB 3 expansion cards on my computer with all different combinations of drivers and even USB BIOS settings. All to no avail.

I have today received my first ever USB 3 flash drive in the post, in an attempt to test the transfer speeds and try to identify if the USB 3 ports are working correctly. On the laptop with the dedicated USB 3 port, I get a full, as advertised on the box, 130 MB/s read speed from the flash drive. However, I get a disappointing 78-87 MB/s read speed on my USB 3 expansion card in my PC, and both the laptop and my PC get a 30 MB/s read speed on their USB 2 ports.

So, this suggests that the Laptop should be fine. It has a USB 3 port, it reads at USB 3 speeds, so what is the weak link, the cable? So, none of the three cables work? Despite many a review on Amazon saying it works perfectly with their Quest/Rift? But it would seem to suggest the cable is a weak link.

And as for my PC, the read speeds don’t fill me with much confidence even if I am able to get it to register as USB 3. So, buying the official cable still doesn’t feel like it will work for me.

So now I’m waiting delivery of a third USB 3 expansion card, one which is recommended by Oculus. I’ll see if I can get any more performance out of that.

My thoughts right now are that the cables look all to be crap and the expansion card is poor. But maybe the official cable will work with the Laptop. But I’d need a USB-A to USB-C converter as it doesn’t have a C port (bringing another factor into the mix). And if that didn’t work, I’d have no easy way of ruling out the converter as the failure point. For my PC, I’m just hoping the latest card will get me the expected transfer speeds and I’ll go from there. If not, them I’m all out of ideas.
Probably a stupid suggestion, but are all the drivers up to date? Maybe worth completely removing the USB drivers and re-installing?

Back
Top Bottom