Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables no longer available

Soldato
It seems that the Oculus Rift CV1 replacement cables are no longer available.

This means that (as has happened to me) if your CV1 cable gets worn out or breaks you won't be able to purchase a replacement, rendering your otherwise fully working Rift useless! The cable is proprietary and I've not seen any third party replacements.

I've been in touch with Oculus support about this, and as my Rift is just out of warranty they refused to replace it, and instead to buy a new cable, but just as soon as I went to buy one I found that the cable is no longer available.

It seems there are a fair few people like me on Reddit who want to buy replacement cables but can't.

I've been able to get my cable working, but it's very dodgy and can cut out if you move it or tread on it. It's only a matter of time before it fails completely :(

Soldato
OP
The only company I know that's produced a cable with a copy of the Rift CV1 proprietary connector are TPCast for their wireless adapter.

Soldato
OP
Had an outrageous response from Oculus, which boils down to 'buy a Rift S'!

"Since your product is out of warranty, we won’t be able to provide a replacement cable. As Oculus Rift is no longer a product in market, we invite you to check out the current available Oculus products we have at oculus.com.

We understand your concern and truly appreciate your continued support to Oculus over the last few years. We hope that you will find interest in our new line of Oculus products so you can continue to enjoy VR."

I have a Rift, a Go, and a Quest. I've invested heavily in the Oculus ecosystem, and bought loads of games off the Oculus store, for all three devices. Seems like customer loyalty counts for nothing.

To say I'm disappointed is to put it mildly. I was thinking about getting a Rift S at some point, but I'm seriously reconsidering now.

Soldato
OP
This doesn't affect me but a consideration for some people is that their IPD means a Rift S isn't suitable. So if they have to junk their Rift as the cable is bad and no replacements are available they'll have to go to a non-Oculus headset, with all the hassle and expense - especially as they'll have to go through hoops to get their Oculus library working on other brands.

Soldato
OP
More and more people on Reddit are posting that they'e affected by this. I'm hoping the various VR youtube content creators will start making videos to increase awareness and put pressure on Oculus.

Soldato
OP
I've been searching all week for a replacement cable on Ebay. A second hand one came up for £60 but was gone before I could buy it. Since then, nothing.

Soldato
OP
I'm happy to report that Oculus had a change of heart and are sending me a free cable!

So I'm dead chuffed :D, though I feel sorry for those who can't get one. :(

Soldato
OP
I created an account just to ask this. How exactly did you convince them to send you a new one? I just got a ticket closed with Oculus because my warranty expired and they refuse to send me a new one.

I'm not sure why they relented. I sent a polite, but strongly worded email saying how disappointed I was and that I owned a Go, a Rift and a Quest and bought dozens of games from their store, and that this would make it less likely I would buy any further Oculus products. I also said that it's ludicrous that a £400 headset just out of warranty could be rendered useless by lack of a spare part that's designed to be easily replaceable.

They said that as my Rift was just out of warranty they had managed to find a cable for me, which was totally unexpected, but extremely welcome. It's a shame that they can't do this for everyone.

Soldato
OP
You were really lucky to get the cable out of Warranty. Well done. Especially after reading that the cable problem might not be all the fault of Oculus because the third party company that makes the cables has actually gone out of business! I guess that's why they were so reluctant to help you.

I've been very lucky! The cable turned up today. I'm looking forward to playing stand-up PC VR again. The Quest is great, and I can play in much bigger areas, but I'm missing some of the games like From Other Suns and In-Death which really need to be played standing, and streaming from Quest isn't as good as wired.

Back
Top Bottom