Oculus Rift Dev ownership - My thoughts

Soldato
Impressive. I ordered last week and you have given me hope :)

Did the order progress update properly or did it just appear?

I got an email on Friday to say it was progressing, then it just showed up.

I put the order number sans the leading 0 into the UPS tracker this morning and my postcode also and it said it was out for delivery.

Soldato
It's a great product but very much a developer preview. There are certainly rough edges that hopefully the consumer release will fix.

* The resolution is terrible, it's fine for background stuff but you need to crank the aliasing up. UI elements and text suffer particularly.

* Some ghosting / smearing. Stuff blurs when you move your head, once you settle on a view it's fine.

* It's a bit hot to wear, much like a large set of over ear cans. The lenses definitely fogged up.

My eyesight isn't as good as I thought it was, and i'll need to swap the lenses out as was getting eyestrain with the default ones. Didn't suffer any motion sickness so far which is a good thing. Switching to the next lenses realy helped.

I've tried Titans of Space which was brilliant and the Roller Coaster which was good but not great.

I now have 5 months worth of Unity3d Pro to play around with, so will start building some stuff to test scaling limits & depth perception. One thing I really noticed in Titans of Space was you can see your own body - and if your actual body is in a different position there's a wierd disconnect.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine arrived today :D yay When our reception called me telling me a package had been delivered to me I went skipping along like a little school girl. Considering I only ordered it about 2 weeks ago I'm impressed (or extremely lucky) lol

Can't wait to get home and give it a whirl.

Associate
As sorely tempted as I am to get one, am going to be strong and wait until the consumer version comes out.

Would love to see this in action......

Was wanting for some FSX action, but feel that would not work as most of my flying is on planes that will require interaction with CDU / FMC's so really do need to see hands.....Star Citizen Sqaudran 42 will be a completely different prospect with HOTAS though :D:D:D

Soldato
I tried holding out. But then I started reading rumors that consumer unit was not going to be out till Q3/Q4 next year. I have no idea if they are correct or not. But I just thought **** it I need this now !!!!!! My inner geek could not handle that I could potentially have to wait till next xmas to have a play with it.

Soldato
I trist the rollercoaster demo at i49, and was also amazed.

The thing that I like the most was how responsive looking around was.. I presumed there would be "input lag" when you turn your head from side to side and look behind you but there wasnt really any.

I dont suffer from Vertigo, and also got the shivers at the top of the rollercoaster looking over the edge and my legs nearly went and I nearly fell over going around it!

I do wonder how good it would be sat down though..

Associate
Good Afternoon.

My name is Tom and I work for North One Tv, we produce and program on channel 5 named The Gadget Show. You may of seen it. We are looking to do a piece of the Oculus Rift and are looking for somebody to lend us theirs?

Anybody willing who wants to spend a day on set, please let me know via Pm.

Thank you!

Tom

Soldato
Good Afternoon.

My name is Tom and I work for North One Tv, we produce and program on channel 5 named The Gadget Show. You may of seen it. We are looking to do a piece of the Oculus Rift and are looking for somebody to lend us theirs?

Thank you!

Tom

Just order one :) Or try this guy.

And if you do a piece on the Oculus, give iRacing, War Thunder, and Hawken a go.

Mine's on its way, I've got a few projects for it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good Afternoon.

Thank you!

Tom

They turned my order into a delivery in 1 week. Send them an email, I'm sure you'd get a review unit in a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom