Oculus Rift overheating?

Associate
Asus P8p67 i5 2500k, 16gb memory, GTX 970

I bought a Rift & it works but after about 5 minutes of gameplay it starts struggling to track the touch sensors & the headset gets hot & then just turns off, it wont work again unless I restart the computer, but when I try to restart it will just forever sit on the "shutting down" screen.

I know my pc is borderline for running VR but it seems mostly like the headset is getting too hot, the computer isn't freezing or misbehaving, gpu seems to cope.

The motherboard only has 2 USB 3.0 ports, I have the headset & one sensor plugged into those, the other is in a regular usb. Also the headphones on the rift never worked, sometimes hear a click noise!?!

Faulty headset?

Soldato
I've got the exact same setup as you bar having an i7 instead of 5. It gets hot/warm but doesn't overheat like yours, however I've had tracking issues a couple of times with it, like once or twice in the last year.

Can't remember how I sorted it sorry, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hardware fault, it was related to the sensor tracking being way off for some bizarre reason.

I was using it on two sensors before getting an extension card but that made no difference really, it was just because I wanted to have my stick and throttles at the same time and ran out of usb slots :(

Associate
OP
After reading a little im maybe thinking its not over heating its dropping out because of the USB situation? I assumed it was over heating cause it just seems to shut off, screen goes black, orange light is on & then it wont come back on again unless I reboot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom