OCZ ModStream 520w PSU or Hiper Type-R Modular PSU?

Associate
I can't decide between which one of these PSU's to buy. I've read loads of reviews on both of them but I need help deciding.

My specs are:

ABIT AN8-SLI nForce4 Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3000 Venice
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO2
GEIL 512MB x2 PC3200 Dual Memory
Seagate 180 GB HDD
Pioneer 110D DVD Writer

Plus an OCZ ModStream 520w PSU
or
a Hiper Type-R Modular PSU.

Which of these would suit my system better? Any pros/cons that anyone would care to note? I was recommended a few PSU's in a previous post but they are out of my price range, but I have narrowed it down to these two.

Associate
I bought one, and unfortunately it blew when I pressed the power button for the first time,taking with it the motherboard and the CPU. I'm sure it is a very good PSU. Also I found a little annoyance. I have a fan on top of my case blowing air out. This fan got in the way of a couple of power connectors on the PSU, specifically the S-ATA and the PCI-e. So I'm getting a refund and getting a Sparkle 500W Bluestorm instead.

Reviews say the OCZ is really good, and I'd still buy it over the Hiper :p

Associate
I recently built myself a new system in a Silverstone Temjin TJ08 case.

I already had a quiet psu - thermaltake butterfly - However due to the micro style case i decided to upgrade my psu to the Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU .

I was very impressed with this hipper psu. Its noise output is even lower than the thermaltake one it replaced.

In fact it is so quiet that i had to inspect the unit to make sure that the fans were actually turning. fantastic power supply, the best one that i have bought in more than 10 years of self building and certainly not the most expensive one either.

The modular style is also great for micro cases or windowed atx set up`s as you dont have loads of unused cables to deal with/hide.The PSU comes with loads of braided cables for you to choose from including 2 for pci-e graphics cards.

I havent owned the ocz one so cannt give you a comparison .However i can not fault the hipper, its super quiet , and the modular system is brilliant.The build quality puts the thermaltake to shame.

Personally i wouldnt recomend the r800gto. Im not saying that its no good, just that i upgraded from my r800gto recently to an r1800 and the performance is more than double.

I can now run DDO with every setting maxed and 6x anti alaising enabled on the r1800 .On the r800gto i had to have most settings at medium or low with a lot of stuff like surface refelctions and shadows disabled just to get playable frames per second.On the r800 with everything set to maximium in some game ares i was getting 1 to 3 FPS.In the same areas using the 1800 im getting 80 to 120 fps.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Soldato
Go for the ModStream
icon14.gif
;)

Associate
Nazca said:
I bought one, and unfortunately it blew when I pressed the power button for the first time,taking with it the motherboard and the CPU. I'm sure it is a very good PSU. Also I found a little annoyance. I have a fan on top of my case blowing air out. This fan got in the way of a couple of power connectors on the PSU, specifically the S-ATA and the PCI-e. So I'm getting a refund and getting a Sparkle 500W Bluestorm instead.

Not a Lian Li PC7 by any chance?

If you want to put a full size 80mm fan in the top of a PC7 then the OCZ won't fit PCIe or SATA connectors. I believe it'll work with a slimline 80mm fan.

I have a OCZ Modstream PSU and the build quality is astonishing. The only thing I can fault are the molex plugs, very tough to insert or remove, but very sturdy once they're attatched.

Rail voltages never outside 2.5% of specified according to BIOS, never checked with a multimeter, although THG last year agreed.

Very quiet, built like a brick house (titanium plated, according to the manual) very professionally styled.

Associate
OP
Nazca said:

I almost bought a BlueStorm 500 from ******s yesterday (glad I didn't as OC are selling them £25 cheaper) but having done a bit of research it's worth spending a bit extra for an OCZ ModStream or a Hiper Modular 520w.
Still undecided tho :p

Associate
OP
Stupido said:
I recently built myself a new system in a Silverstone Temjin TJ08 case.

I already had a quiet psu - thermaltake butterfly - However due to the micro style case i decided to upgrade my psu to the Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU .

I was very impressed with this hipper psu. Its noise output is even lower than the thermaltake one it replaced.

In fact it is so quiet that i had to inspect the unit to make sure that the fans were actually turning. fantastic power supply, the best one that i have bought in more than 10 years of self building and certainly not the most expensive one either.

The modular style is also great for micro cases or windowed atx set up`s as you dont have loads of unused cables to deal with/hide.The PSU comes with loads of braided cables for you to choose from including 2 for pci-e graphics cards.

I havent owned the ocz one so cannt give you a comparison .However i can not fault the hipper, its super quiet , and the modular system is brilliant.The build quality puts the thermaltake to shame.

Personally i wouldnt recomend the r800gto. Im not saying that its no good, just that i upgraded from my r800gto recently to an r1800 and the performance is more than double.

I can now run DDO with every setting maxed and 6x anti alaising enabled on the r1800 .On the r800gto i had to have most settings at medium or low with a lot of stuff like surface refelctions and shadows disabled just to get playable frames per second.On the r800 with everything set to maximium in some game ares i was getting 1 to 3 FPS.In the same areas using the 1800 im getting 80 to 120 fps.

hope this helps

Thanks for the input.
I have GTO2 graphics card overclocked at X850 speeds and I'm more than happy with it. I can run most games on high/max settings (HL2, NFS Most Wanted, Prey) with 2x/4x anti alaising, running between 30 - 60 fps (with NFS being even faster), which is fast enough for the type of games I play. Personally, I don't like playing games at ridiculously fast speeds, I prefer to play them at the speeds they are meant to be played at.
That was running on a Raidmax 500w PSU, which is now dead. I had it repaired (or so it was meant to be) but it is still dead. It probaly wasn't powerful enough, which is why I need a better one.

Associate
OP
mosfet said:
I have a OCZ Modstream PSU and the build quality is astonishing. The only thing I can fault are the molex plugs, very tough to insert or remove, but very sturdy once they're attatched.

Rail voltages never outside 2.5% of specified according to BIOS, never checked with a multimeter, although THG last year agreed.

Very quiet, built like a brick house (titanium plated, according to the manual) very professionally styled.

Thanks, I think I will probably go for this one.

Back
Top Bottom