Odd POST problem after graphics card upgrade

Associate
I just upgraded my graphics card from an Nvidia 560ti to a AMD Sapphire 4GB 480 and managed to get it to boot to Windows 10 no problem. However during POST corrupted graphics are displayed on screen.

I initially suspected a graphics card fault, but it seems to work fine otherwise so this would be odd I feel.

I've tried reseating the card, replugging the GPU power, swapping from DVI to HDMI monitor connection, reseting CMOS, removing my sound card and non boot drives but to no avail.

I tried tweaking any BIOS option which might sound related and nothing worked except when I disable the 'Full Screen Logo Show' option, the display corruption is gone. This removes a logo on POST which I'm not really bothered about, but I'm concerned it's a hardware fault still as I haven't been able to prove otherwise.

I don't have a spare computer to try the graphics card in unfortunately and I don't want to RMA the card for such an odd problem (unless I can prove it's at fault) as my hunch is it isn't the graphics card in isolation at all.

My motherboard is relatively old (Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3) and I suspect some sort of hardware incompatibility. I already updated the BIOS to the latest stable version (version F10) before the card arrived as a precautionary step as so many people seemed to have problems with old motherboards and BIOS versions for this graphics card and the computer not booting.

So any ideas or possible explanations why the graphics would corrupt in this very specific way?

My full specs are:

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
i5 2500k
2x4GB RAM
Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ 4096MB (from 1GB MSI GTX560Ti)
Corsair HX650 PSU
Crucial M4 SSD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom