Off to Vegas in a month, any shootin tips ?

Associate
I'm heading to vegas in a month and although the aim will be a heavy alcohol fuelled gambling adventure etc etc I also intend to use it as an opertunity to explore and little and get some good shots.

I am planning on taking my 500D + 18-270 tamron for general walkout use, maybe my f1.8 50mm prime as well to get a few nice night shots of the strip. I also intend to invest in a hoya circular polarisor for the canyon as well. For clubs etc I will leave the SLR behind and take my Panasonic LX3 in my pocket

any good tips for locations, shots even different lenses and filters ... I figured while I'm there I may as well make the most of it ...

Associate
OP
Doubtful, we did one and ended up on the right side of the helicopter, we saw nothing but the outskirts of Vegas.

Wouldn't mind but we agreed to go on a later flight because they had messed up, we didn't get the free photo they promised and we didn't see the strip because of the MAHOOOSIVE English woman on the left side.

Loads of places to shoot in Vegas, most obvious are the Fountains :)

oh .. had planned to do a helo ride out to the canyon, apparently in sets down for 30 min or so then comes back down the strip @ sunset ... What company did you use for yours ... I'll be sure to avoid it, thanks for the heads up

Head upto the top of the Stratosphere, for some good shots, especially at night. You can also get a helicopter ride around Vegas which should provide an oppertunity to take some cracking shots :)

I'm staying in the Stratosphere :D I'll definately use your advice there

Associate
OP
I've been to Vegas a few times, and each time have done a helicopter trip of some kind. I've always used Heli USA and haven't had any problems, that said I've always been in the front with the Pilot. I never really noticed but can picture what AHarvey is talking about due to the route it takes. One year I did the cowboy ranch tour which was a Heli flight over the Canyon and then to a Cowboy ranch for lunch (and horse riding if you wanted) which had some nice photo ops, that trip also included a night flight over vegas.

There are some boat trips that you can do, white water rafting for fun or a slower rafting trip from the Hoover Da (takes most of the day) which would allow more photo ops, you'll have to wrap the camera up in places though as it can still get very wet.

Also agree with a1ex2001, the Stratosphere isn't the best hotel to stay in, it kinda feels like the wrong side of the strip, it's where the strip ends and the more residential aka rougher part starts. I'd recommend Caesars Palace which is nicely in the middle, I've stayed there a few times now and enjoyed it... talking of which have a meal at the "Cheesecake Factory" in there, lovely!! if you're stuck with the Stratosphere no problems just enjoy it and note for next time and I assure you there will be a next time ;)

If you've gone as a package deal, when you check in ask about room upgrades, if it's quiet the hotel will offer better rooms for a supplement.. at the right time you could get a really nice suite for a few extra $'s.

ohh and a Gorilla Pod is a good idea, vegas is meant to be viewed at night :)

Anyway, have a great time there, you'll love it.

thanks you ... it's actually a 15 man stag so unfortunatley I'm kinda locked into the stratosphere, personally I'd rather have gone with ceasars like you said or the bellagio.

Great shouts tho ... cos of the nature of the holiday I'm not sure how much photography I'll get done but canyon and vegas night shots are a definate.

I'll post shot links when I get back for some constructive critique :D

Ross

Back
Top Bottom