*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Switch from 2 pages of scrumpled newspaper around the bottom rim of my chimney and 2 gel-like firelighter sachets in with the briquettes, to just putting one of those wood-wicker things. Very happy with results. May get the BBQ going tomorrow

edit: annnd just looked at the forecast :(

Soldato
Right folks - help me out

Fired up the new BBQ (weber 57cm) - Used the bbq chimney with Weber Briquette, light well, 15/20 mins - chinmey was very hot, white ash covering the briquettes. Tipped them into the Char-Basket (probably about 15 lumps each side) - lid on, but heat just kept dropping away. Started around 200 degrees C - but dropped to around 170/80. Briquettes didn't seem to continue to heat/stay hot.

Saw comments that it should be around 250C/500F under the lid before cooking stuff.

Man of Honour
depends what you are cooking, low and slow is more like 105c/225f.

also how did you have the vents open, if they where all shut then the brickets will go out due to lack of oxygen.

Soldato
Just burgers and chicken legs tonight - nothing fancy for 1st time!

Thanks gents - I "think" all the vents were open. To be fair, when I took the lid off and left it off, the heat increased so I'll need to check the vents as once the breeze was blowing over them they heated up again.

Cheers - will try again - ages since I had a proper bbq.

Caporegime
Just burgers and chicken legs tonight - nothing fancy for 1st time!

Thanks gents - I "think" all the vents were open. To be fair, when I took the lid off and left it off, the heat increased so I'll need to check the vents as once the breeze was blowing over them they heated up again.

Cheers - will try again - ages since I had a proper bbq.
How the hell are you bbq'ing today? I've never seen rain like it!

Soldato
Anyone have any experience with dual gas/charcoal bbq's?

I would like the convenience from gas of being able to cook regularly outside with little planning. I think gas is also more suited to a smaller amount of food as well. However I would also like to be able to do some proper barbecuing!

Man of Honour
Did cote de beouf last night in a water bath and then on a chimney starter for a sear. I've not used that technique before for the sear but it worked great. Had it with a wild cepes sauce (father in law is a veteran mushroom forager), corn and bone marrow.

It did mean I had gas bbq, sous vide and chimney all going for a relatively simple meal but it was v nice!

Soldato
Does anyone know if the Kamado Joes are discounted during autumn/winter? Looking to pick up a Kamado Joe Classic II (2017) before Christmas hopefully, so I'm not in a rush to buy if they're likely to be discounted before then.

Soldato
Chaps. We don’t have many bbqs but are having one this weekend

Been reading that lumpwood charcoal is the way to go (have used briquettes before)

Where do I buy a decent sized bag of charcoal?

Can I use charcoal in a chimney starter as well? Or do I need to buy paraffin starter things.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally, I for years always used lumpwood and steered well clear of briquettes as I had nothing but trouble any time I came across them, dirty to light, very smelly and generally a pain.

Then I experienced Heat Beads and now rarely use anything else. Combined with a chimney starter they are very easy to light and burn extremely cleanly, with nought but an ozoney smell to them while lighting, and burn for a good length of time.

If you really want to go for lumpwood, a friend of mine gets his from Bookers and, unlike supermarket charcoal which is generally tiny lumps often finds he needs to break pieces down to more manageable sizes as the lumps can be huge!!

Absolutely fine to use a starter chimney with lumpwood.

Soldato
Hi All

I thought I'd share a handful of photos of the smoking I managed to get done during a week off work which was largely spent doing DIY, who says men can't multi-task!!
smile.png

The first weekend I found a reasonable looking pork shoulder in my local Morrisons and also decided to try a boneless rib of beef joint that I had managed to get in the reduced section (down from £18 to £2.50 :)) a few weeks ago and had stuck in the freezer.

I made up a couple of slightly different rubs (based on ones I'd been taught by Wade) and got them rubbed and wrapped over night.

I stuck both in my Callow smoker and pretty much left them to it bar a bit of spraying with cider every hour or so then wrapping them after three hours.

The pork just before wrapping (Sadly I didn't get any at the end of the cooking of after the pulling...oops):
phhd1pm.jpg

The finished beef before carving:
yGUqPuZ.jpg

The carved beef:
0K3jZEC.jpg

I was really pleased with how both joints came out. The pork could possibly have done with being a little more moist but it wasn't a particularly fatty joint and didn't give me much in the way of juices after wrapping. Also, I hadn't put in a drip tray to catch any juices and had let them fall into the foiled water pan which was a mistake in hindsight.

On the Tuesday I decided to do some cold smoking as I've only done it a couple of times, so I got myself some blocks of cheddar and feta and a load of garlic bulbs and smoked both over fruitwood pellets for about 3 hours for the cheese and about 5 for the garlic.

Cheese smoking:
NmXb2gV.jpg

Garlic Hiding below:
tTE5zdX.jpg

The finished items having had a time in the fridge to dry off before vacuum-packing:
s3WGpUB.jpg

Both of these have now been mellowing in my fridge for a week, ready for testing soon. From what I've read the garlic might actually need rather longer in the smoker to get a good flavour penetration but we shall see.

During the week my brother asked if I might produce something to make up part of a birthday bbq for my nephew's second birthday. I was more than happy to do so, despite being rather busy. I picked up a couple of pork joints and what turned out to be a pretty ropey piece of brisket. I didn't have much time to get photos as I was busy finishing off the scratch-building of a bed for my son but I did manage a couple as was carving the beef as I was quite chuffed with what I had achieved. Being a funny shaped piece of beef I decided to carve in two directions to show my brother the different in going with and across the grain of the meat. With this smoke I had remembered to put in a drip tray and managed to end up with a nice amount of juices to go over the pulled pork which dramatically improved it from my attempt earlier in the week.

With the grain:
Qd6KqKb.jpg

Across the gain:
wWxBPOl.jpg

I was quite chuffed with the smoke ring I got on this piece of beef! The best part though was when the bbq happened and I got comments from almost everyone abut how amazing the beef and pulled pork where which Included it being described and "phenomenal" and a "bbq game-changer"! It was lovely to be able to spread the low-and-slow word and talk people through what I had done and hopefully inspire some of them to give it a try themselves!

Nothing like as good as food produced by others on here but as a beginner I'm quite pleased with how I'm coming on and I'm definitely gaining confidence with every smoke!

Associate
Howdy,

So I'm looking to sort out a BBQ for my other half as he's interested in trying out smoking some pork & beef. So far my to buy list is looking as follows. If you have recommendations, alternatives or spot anything I'm missing let me know!

• Weber Smokey Mountain - torn between the 47 & 57cm
  • Meat Thermometer, Morpilot APP Remote Digital Thermometer with 6 Probe
  • Weber grill starter kit
  • BBQ tool kit
  • Pork shredder claws
  • Empty spice jars for home made rubs
  • A couple of spray bottles for spritzing
  • Meat syringe
  • Pink/Peach Butcher Paper
  • Heat resistant gloves
  • Grill brush
I need to try and source somewhere in Belgium for charcoal and wood chunks (currently thinking oak, apple, cherry & possibly hickory).

Man of Honour
Howdy,

So I'm looking to sort out a BBQ for my other half as he's interested in trying out smoking some pork & beef. So far my to buy list is looking as follows. If you have recommendations, alternatives or spot anything I'm missing let me know!

• Weber Smokey Mountain - torn between the 47 & 57cm
  • Meat Thermometer, Morpilot APP Remote Digital Thermometer with 6 Probe
  • Weber grill starter kit
  • BBQ tool kit
  • Pork shredder claws
  • Empty spice jars for home made rubs
  • A couple of spray bottles for spritzing
  • Meat syringe
  • Pink/Peach Butcher Paper
  • Heat resistant gloves
  • Grill brush
I need to try and source somewhere in Belgium for charcoal and wood chunks (currently thinking oak, apple, cherry & possibly hickory).

Long time no speak :)

Consider the ProQ Frontier/Excel instead of the Weber. Both the Weber and ProQ options are excellent so go for whatever happens to be a good deal. The 47cm will be fine unless you're regularly cooking for more than 15 people at once.

I've not used the Morpilot or heard it discussed in BBQ groups. Could be fine though. Alternatively the new Meator could be worth looking at, or one of the standard BBQ wireless probes.

Pork shredder claws look awesome but are a bit pointless really. As it's a present they will add to the whole effect though.

I'm guessing the Weber grill starter kit is/includes a chimney starter?

A couple of decent baking trays to put under the meat wouldn't be a bad thing if you want to go all out. You could also add a cold smoke generator to it if you like.

Associate
Long time no speak :)

Consider the ProQ Frontier/Excel instead of the Weber. Both the Weber and ProQ options are excellent so go for whatever happens to be a good deal. The 47cm will be fine unless you're regularly cooking for more than 15 people at once.

I've not used the Morpilot or heard it discussed in BBQ groups. Could be fine though. Alternatively the new Meator could be worth looking at, or one of the standard BBQ wireless probes.

Pork shredder claws look awesome but are a bit pointless really. As it's a present they will add to the whole effect though.

I'm guessing the Weber grill starter kit is/includes a chimney starter?

A couple of decent baking trays to put under the meat wouldn't be a bad thing if you want to go all out. You could also add a cold smoke generator to it if you like.

I've been in hiding .. or at least moving country again :p.

The weber starter kit is a chimney starter with a few briquettes. I'll check out the ProQ and see what's available here, & I completely forgot about trays!

Man of Honour
I've been in hiding .. or at least moving country again :p.

The weber starter kit is a chimney starter with a few briquettes. I'll check out the ProQ and see what's available here, & I completely forgot about trays!

Which country now? :p

One thing that completely slipped my mind is wood chunks or chips. Wood dust is great for cold smoking but for hot smoking you'll ideally want some decent chunks. This guy is great for supplying wood. Myself and others have all had good experiences with him.

Associate
Which country now? :p

One thing that completely slipped my mind is wood chunks or chips. Wood dust is great for cold smoking but for hot smoking you'll ideally want some decent chunks. This guy is great for supplying wood. Myself and others have all had good experiences with him.

Belgium .. at least for now :p.

I was just thinking about chips or chunks, so that's good to know! :D

Back
Top Bottom