1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*****Official 2017 BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by Psymonkee, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Psymonkee

Capodecina

I think I got it through Amazon (MacsBBQ's sells on there as a storefront) and it set me back £280 iirc! (I added a cover at £20 to as the shed was too full at the time!)

Can't really comment on the other one though.

2. GSVBagpuss

Wise Guy

Just ordered my Christmas turkey and will be smoking it again this year. It’s definitely the way to go - you can use a thermometer to nail the right doneness, it clears the oven to be hot for roast potatoes and you get to make a fire on Christmas morning! What’s not to like?

3. valve90210

Mobster

A friend of mine has been doing his Christmas turkey in a smoker every year for the last 15-20 years and swears by it.He did one at a weekend of meat moking I went to in the summer and I have to say it was delicious!!

4. Itchytrigg

Wise Guy

I've not done it now for a couple years but I use to have a rolled turkey breast joint I would stuff then wrap in bacon then smoke with hickory. It was amazing, so good in fact just describing it has made up my mind to do it again this year.

5. valve90210

Mobster

And I think it may have made my mind up too!! It sounds delicious and I have a lovely big bag of hickory pellets knocking about!! :)

6. valve90210

Mobster

When I'm cooking pulled pork or lamb for a gathering I tend to smoke it in advance then vacuum pack and freeze it so on the day I want it I just need to make sure it's thawed out and then reheat it in a pan of hot water, makes life much simpler and works very well.

Having just got myself a sous vide, I was thinking just now that I could use this to regulate the temperature of the water to be just below that which I cooked the meat to so it wouldn't cook the meat any further and would allow me to let the meat come to temperature slowly and stay there until I am ready to serve it, that would work beautifully wouldn't it?

7. Street

Soldato

I had some tasty short ribs yesterday. They took about 10 hours to smoke but the cold weather was really slowing things down at the end.

[​IMG]

8. thewanted

Mobster

Damn, that's a really long time for short ribs. Mine are generally done in about 6.5 hours at 275F. What temp did you cook them at?

I smoked some beef cheeks yesterday. Not sure about their gelatinous texture, although they tasted quite good.

9. Street

Soldato

Yeh, tell me about it. The BBQ was at 110C but by 7pm it was freezing out and the ribs were really struggling to increase in temperature. They took over an hour to go up from 83 to 88C! I should have got them on earlier in the day but I didn't think they'd take too long. They were beautifully tender though. :D

10. valve90210

Mobster

They look lovely!

I must give them a try at some point!!

I smoked three pork shoulders at the weekend, two for my neighbour for a birthday bash and one for me while the smoker was going, got to love some nice pulled pork on a cold damp day

11. ganesh

Wise Guy

Outside temperature has very little effect on a bbq, even if it’s well into the minus range, you will just burn a bit more fuel.