Official 24h2 just gone live

As a gamer I see very little benfit in this update, and I feel for those who were using WMR (such as HP Reverb).
Streamlining File Explorer scares me... stuff like the changes they've made to OneDrive, such as suddenly covering the whole of "Documents" folder are frustrating as hell for me to the point I've turned it off completely now.

For work, it'll just happen, and I'll have to get used to it.

*old man shouts at clouds*

Microsoft appears to have hidden Recall in 24h2 conveniently, but you can check to see if it's enabled or disabled by using this command in terminal.

Code:
DISM /Online /Get-FeatureInfo /FeatureName=Recall

Just checked and mine has been enabled by default. It appears the default option can vary, not even location specific either, so who knows why. But to disable it use the following command

Code:
DISM /Online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:"Recall"

You can then double check to make sure it's been disabled by using the first command.

In addition, for those who are using Microwin to install a fresh 24h2 ISO, file explorer UI will be Win10. To fix it back to the new Win11 UI use the following command to enable Recall, as it appears for some reason it's a dependency within File explorer. Once you've enabled it, reboot and the UI will change to Win11. Then you can disable it again using the command line above, reboot and the UI will not change back, it will retain the Win11 UI.

Code:
DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:"Recall"

Last edited:
Just used Microwin to do a fresh 24h2 install and it appears they've updated Microwin now to not only fix file explorer UI, but to also disable Recall without having to manually do it.

I'm not in a rush really, especially not to force the update....

It could be relevant as to why it hasn't been pushed to me, having Fortnite installed could be a reason.

I'm not in a rush really, especially not to force the update....

It could be relevant as to why it hasn't been pushed to me, having Fortnite installed could be a reason.
I was looking through my used space the other day and noticed I still had Division 2 installed. This uses Easy Anti-Cheat which going from previous reports causes BSOD with this and has been blocked to be offered\installed on these systems.

With recall being added to in explorer I am glad that It's still installed and blocked\stopped the 24H2 update.

I was looking through my used space the other day and noticed I still had Division 2 installed. This uses Easy Anti-Cheat which going from previous reports causes BSOD with this and has been blocked to be offered\installed on these systems.

With recall being added to in explorer I am glad that It's still installed and blocked\stopped the 24H2 update.

Without uninstalling a game, how can you disable easy anti cheat? check for updates and then see it's available (but not install)

Yup, we both dodged a bullet there

Without uninstalling a game, how can you disable easy anti cheat? check for updates and then see it's available (but not install)
I think you would need to uninstall Easy Anti Cheat but as its blocked\not compatible with 24H2 the system may still be flagged.

To be honest I would just wait if you want the 24H2 update as its not worth the BSOD issues and there is no eta for a fix

Yup, we both dodged a bullet there
Very true, I do not want recall on my system

The only issue I had (or at least that I've noticed) has been fixed in the monthly preview update.

KB5044384

When I was alt-tabbing mid game in some games, it was taking longer than normal to switch to desktop applications and going black for 1-2 seconds. Now it's instant again. :)

I reverted almost immediately after updating to 24H2 as I was getting some really funky behaviour in Chrome. Will continue to delay it for a while.

Back
Top Bottom