• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Any chance someone could post up their Afterburner fan control curve screenshot?

My 7990 was hitting 93 degrees in Heaven bench on setting of

Core - 1000
volts - 1165
Memory 1500

Ideally I'm after quietness and not an overclock. Suggestions would be great :)

Reduced the voltage?

To be honest I could never stop those temperatures...main reason for selling it.

@amd Matt - have you any decent profile settings I can nab?

Also might be interested in flashing the BIOS even though I've not done it before. It it worth it? I've a XFX 7990.

Ideally I want a good fan profile that will keep the card cooler than it currently is.

Whats the range of temps I can expect the card to work to before it goes throttling?

@AMD Matt - have you any decent profile settings I can nab?

Also might be interested in flashing the BIOS even though I've not done it before. It it worth it? I've a XFX 7990.

Ideally I want a good fan profile that will keep the card cooler than it currently is.

Whats the range of temps I can expect the card to work to before it goes throttling?

I'd recommend using my bios dude and undervolting for sure. Depends how good your 7990 as to how far you can undervolt. I bought a 7990 off ebay recently as i wanted one to show the grandchildren. Luckily for me it turned out to be a golden sample 7990, it's fully stable at 1100mv in Afterburner. My previous 7990 only just about did 1150mv. :cool:

When i game on the 7990 i can leave it on auto fans and temps usually sit around 83c on the highest core and around 78c on the cooler core. That's with vsync off. Tested in a spacious Phanteks Enthoo Primo and playing GTA V for 30 minutes.

In my opinion, auto fan on the 7990 is very quiet unless it exceeds 86c+.

Love my 7990!

b8iXiEq.jpg

Last edited:
Ok is there a fallback "safety net" I can do with a BIOS before flashing it with a new one? How do I know what BIOS the card has at the minute?

GPU-Z will tell you the bios you have at the moment. If you follow the instructions in the OP closely, you can't go wrong. If you flash the wrong bios, you can still recover it. I did this once. Essentially you have a master and a slave bios, so as long as you flash the right one it's easy money.

Just remember, it's at your own risk. :)

Haven't been on the forum for a while and wondering how the 7990 is holding up these days? I still have 2 x 7990 plus 3 x 280x, 2 x 7950, and a popped 7970 and a broken 290x (a resistor was damaged by my own hand) from my old mining spree.

Still loving my 7990, want to move on but cant justify the price of the better cards. Ps my 7990 never exceeds 75c my rig is well tuned to keeping the old thing cool. The CM storm headset is the only way to game,its like a jet turbine in here!

Anyone game at 1440p with 7990?
Hows the performance? Can you still do 'high' with low AA in most games?

I game at 1440 with the likes of gta v,elite,project cars,assetto corsa and all run at the highest settings, I do switch off all Anti Aliasing as don't think it's really needed and everything runs very well.

I game at 1440 with the likes of gta v,elite,project cars,assetto corsa and all run at the highest settings, I do switch off all Anti Aliasing as don't think it's really needed and everything runs very well.

Great to hear that!
Actually same here most of the time I only use FXAA rather than MSAA as I am not that fussy, I prefer higher settings on shadow etc.

Do you play Witcher3? If so what setting do you use?

I use the 4k monitor in sig and have no problems with mini dp from the 7990 to full DP in the monitor and using the stock cable that came with the monitor. I do know that my monitor is seen as one panel SST and not MST which sees it as two panels. Maybe check what the monitor you are thinking about is in that respect.

I bought the philips and the 7990 copes very well, project cars with pretty much everything on very high, apart from AA which is off, runs brilliantly. Very happy :)

I bought the philips and the 7990 copes very well, project cars with pretty much everything on very high, apart from AA which is off, runs brilliantly. Very happy :)

This card is truly amazing, I just bought the BenQ 1440P 144hz freesync monitor for witcher 3, I have to turn the setting to a mix of medium + high, the only reason behind it is the fps drops to 30-40 when I use the fire magic, other than that (when I am exploring the map) it can maintain over 60fps in most places.

I know, I have seen other posts where people have had all sorts of issues with this card but up until now the only problems have been driver related, hopefully can get it sorted soon as still under warranty

Back
Top Bottom