• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official Intel Haswell Thread***

Soldato
Asus boards look lovely, especially fancy going micro ATX - but no old school PCI slots anymore? Perhaps my faithful Creative X-Fi has finally reached end of life... I'll miss ya buddy :(

I only just got rid of mine a couple months ago too!

Soldato
The Giga have PCI slots. ASUS nope!!!

Only just noticed that there's no PCI slot on the Z87 Sabertooth or the Z87 Pro/Deluxe/WS, there is one on the Z87 Plus though which is a bit odd as judging by the heatsink's that's the low end board, but I guess they figure nobody really needs a PCI slot anymore even in a workstation.

Can't say id miss a PCI slot too much, although it was a deciding factor in buying the P9X79-LE as I needed one to connect my ancient sound card so I could use the gameport to connect an MS Sidewinder (best game pad ever) lol.

Associate
I would love to get the Gigabyte G1, it looks awesome but I do not think I can bring myself to pay £300 for the board (assuming a similar price to Z77 G1).

I am more likely to get the Z87 X OC if it isn't too crazily priced and assuming it performs well.

I wish Intel would lift the NDA already.

Soldato
In what scenario?
The 4770K of that frequency would beat the 3960X in everything apart from applications that take advantage of the extra cores.
However, it may be a different situation with IvyBridge-E, we don't know yet.

General PC programs, video encoding, and gaming?

Yeah that's the thing, do I wait for Ivy - E and throw in an expensive upgrade to my 3960X or do I sell my current rig build a 4770K / Z87 combo and pocket the change?

Hmm :confused:

Soldato
OP
General PC programs, video encoding, and gaming?

Yeah that's the thing, do I wait for Ivy - E and throw in an expensive upgrade to my 3960X or do I sell my current rig build a 4770K / Z87 combo and pocket the change?

Hmm :confused:

Depends what chip you go for surely? If you wait for Ivy-E you've only got to sell the 3960X and get an Ivy-E chip or throw in a hundred or two and get the higher Ivy-E chip.

If you're encoding and speed is important to you then the extra cores are a no-brainer, that's 4 more threads than Haswell, or 8 more if they do release an 8 core version (at a cost though ;)).

Soldato
Depends what chip you go for surely? If you wait for Ivy-E you've only got to sell the 3960X and get an Ivy-E chip or throw in a hundred or two and get the higher Ivy-E chip.

If you're encoding and speed is important to you then the extra cores are a no-brainer, that's 4 more threads than Haswell, or 8 more if they do release an 8 core version (at a cost though ;)).

Yeah your right about the video encoding, getting the upgrade itch I think, (With all this new tech coming) I'll scratch it with a pair if GTX 770's or 780's soon and then be content until Ivybridge -E :p

OcUK Staff
I will either get the gold one or the rog. Depending how much better the rog is at overclocking I may go for rog as long as it is below £170.

The ROG boards are developed by a totally different team to any other of the boards ASUS manu. They always clock better and the bios is always more mature as they are designed and tweaked by the best clockers around.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The ROG boards are developed by a totally different team to any other of the boards ASUS manu. They always clock better and the bios is always more mature as they are designed and tweaked by the best clockers around.

ROG it is then. Will match me new Corsair K70 black and red keyboard I baught from OcUK :D

Associate
The ROG boards look nice, not so keen on the gold/black Asus boards.

My Q6600 system served me well for 5+ years, had a 3770k for about 4 months and already have the upgrade itch :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom