**** Official LG G4 Discussion Thread ****

Associate
Gah, I hate that the S6 is the best performing phone this year, because it doesn't have microSD, something I personally can't do without. Hopefully this one is cheaper than an S6. I also heard somewhere (I think it was a first look YT video) that the battery life is great, almost 3 days straight of just playing music apparently. Since the S6 has disappointed me, I'll likely go with a non-leather (too pretentious for my taste) version of this G4 when my S4 contract runs out in a few weeks. The launch of this phone is cutting it awful close, I may have a few days/weeks without service if we have to wait any longer than the end of May :s

Soldato
OP
I have to say I'm still a undecided about the way it looks, that LG logo on the front really takes away from the design for me.

Huh, I just took my G2 out of my pocket to see whether or not that had an LG logo on the front, and it does. I've had it for almost 2 years and never noticed it. And I'll probably never notice it again after 5 minutes from now.

Different tastes I know, but still

Soldato
I'll likely go with a non-leather (too pretentious for my taste) version of this G4 when my S4 contract runs out in a few weeks. The launch of this phone is cutting it awful close, I may have a few days/weeks without service if we have to wait any longer than the end of May :s

You know you can just change your contract to a SIM only rolling monthly plan once it has ended?

Soldato
Pocket Link have some photographs that were taken by the G4, but of course it's still promotional material so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt. Still rather impressive and liking this phone quite a bit now. Currently on Note 3 so don't have a problem with the size but I'll probably go for non leather or just stick a case on it as I have a tendency to drop my phones!

Soldato
I saw some camera comparisons the other day, and things were pretty close between all contenders, a bit early to say but I'm not sure G4 will 'blow away' anything. The software looks impressive though, as good if not better than Samsung's 'pro' mode + RAW support.

Associate
To be honest I would still go for the Note 4 if I was in the market for a 5.5"+ phone.

LG G4 doesn't look bad though, but nothing stands out so far, unless the camera turns out to be amazing.

Associate
Huh, I just took my G2 out of my pocket to see whether or not that had an LG logo on the front, and it does. I've had it for almost 2 years and never noticed it. And I'll probably never notice it again after 5 minutes from now.

Different tastes I know, but still

Fair enough, maybe I'm just too used to my plain Nexus 4, I'm sure I'd forget about it as well in that case.

How have you found the G2 if you don't mind me asking? Anything that's stood out with it over time? Are LG update times or custom roms worth mentioning? I haven't kept up with what's been going on with other phones during the last few years but LG did impress me with the N4, if there's nothing to report I'll happily trust them again

Soldato
OP
Fair enough, maybe I'm just too used to my plain Nexus 4, I'm sure I'd forget about it as well in that case.

How have you found the G2 if you don't mind me asking? Anything that's stood out with it over time? Are LG update times or custom roms worth mentioning? I haven't kept up with what's been going on with other phones during the last few years but LG did impress me with the N4, if there's nothing to report I'll happily trust them again

I've loved it for probably every reason except which it is reknowned for - battery life. Majority of people claim to get over 4.5 hours screen on time, I am lucky to get to 3 (currently on 25% with 1.5 hours SOT exactly :mad: ). This is my second handset too, after getting a warranty replacement 4 or 5 months ago and it's been the same in both. I don't know if I got dud batteries in both or what. Oh and it's not Google Play Services dominating or anything like that.

Anyway, in every other way it's been great, I love the design, size, thin bezels, screen is amazing (still), it still performs great though I've done the odd factory reset when I've noticed it start to slow a bit, which I've become accustomed to and I think is common for all smartphones tbh. I also love the rear buttons and tap to wake, very intuitive and drives me nutty the reviewers that try it for 2 hours and complain they keep pressing the camera lens or something like that - morons.

My favourite phone ever, though not exactly intense competition in my previous smartphones. - Nexus 4 and HTC Desire S

As far as updates, I think it got KK pretty swiftly, but still no Lollipop so not fantastic tbh. I haven't tried any custom ROMs as I've felt no need at all. A lot of people complain about the skin on stock, but with Nova and custom icons I'm more than happy. There is a good dev community though, CloudyROM is very popular I think.

I'm due for upgrade in October, unless the new Nexus is a return to form then I'll likely be choosing between the LG G4 and the Note 5.

Associate
Cheers for the reply, much appreciated. Getting the feeling that if this can just be an improved version of the G2 then everything will be good. Not too long to wait and I'm sure we'll get some reviews coming in

Man of Honour
I've loved it for probably every reason except which it is reknowned for - battery life. Majority of people claim to get over 4.5 hours screen on time, I am lucky to get to 3 (currently on 25% with 1.5 hours SOT exactly :mad: ). This is my second handset too, after getting a warranty replacement 4 or 5 months ago and it's been the same in both. I don't know if I got dud batteries in both or what. Oh and it's not Google Play Services dominating or anything like that.

Anyway, in every other way it's been great, I love the design, size, thin bezels, screen is amazing (still), it still performs great though I've done the odd factory reset when I've noticed it start to slow a bit, which I've become accustomed to and I think is common for all smartphones tbh. I also love the rear buttons and tap to wake, very intuitive and drives me nutty the reviewers that try it for 2 hours and complain they keep pressing the camera lens or something like that - morons.

My favourite phone ever, though not exactly intense competition in my previous smartphones. - Nexus 4 and HTC Desire S

As far as updates, I think it got KK pretty swiftly, but still no Lollipop so not fantastic tbh. I haven't tried any custom ROMs as I've felt no need at all. A lot of people complain about the skin on stock, but with Nova and custom icons I'm more than happy. There is a good dev community though, CloudyROM is very popular I think.

I'm due for upgrade in October, unless the new Nexus is a return to form then I'll likely be choosing between the LG G4 and the Note 5.

Bought the 32GB G2 for my wife recently, and can agree with most of the above, though she's getting 6hrs of OST whilst playing games :eek: would get more if it was general stuff like web browsing etc.. really impressed with it, and I'd still rate it as a top smart phone :cool::)

Associate
To be honest I would still go for the Note 4 if I was in the market for a 5.5"+ phone.

LG G4 doesn't look bad though, but nothing stands out so far, unless the camera turns out to be amazing.

Out of curiosity, why would you still go for the note 4?
It's the other phone I'm interested in.

Intrigued on the price of the LG g4,also interested in the price of a wireless charging back or case.

Soldato
From what I can tell the G4 is a return to form after the car crash that was the G3.
Definitely worth a look as a viable alternative to the S6

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The camera app looks impressive, in the hands on I saw no stutter or lag either in the overall UI, the G3 is riddle with lag and stuttering and I hate that about it.

The red leather back looks awesome.

I wonder what the battery life is going to be like on it.

IMO the G4 does appear to be a more workhorse handset than the S6. It might not have the glass and metal build of the S6 though, but it makes up for it with a streamlined OEM interface and better feature packed camera with full manual controls as opposed to semi manual. It also looks better than the S6.

Last edited:
Associate
Out of curiosity, why would you still go for the note 4?
It's the other phone I'm interested in.

Intrigued on the price of the LG g4,also interested in the price of a wireless charging back or case.

Similar performance where it counts for me which is graphics, it's tried and tested hardware with a lot of information available and better design imo.

Would definitely try and get the Exynos version if possible, personally I've had enough of overheating Snapdragon SoC's, although Snapdragon 808 should be the exception to that.

Back
Top Bottom