**Official MikroTik Hardware **

Soldato
I'm waiting for reviews on Hap AX2/AX3
I think you might be waiting a good while. The ETA on the AX chipset devices is late 2022/early 2023 and as far as I’m aware Mikrotik don’t send out pre-production demo units to reviewers.

[Edit]Apparently UK PSU devices will be available from yiur favourite Mikrotik reseller on 11/11/22. So that’s quite quick really.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I'm willing to give one a look-see to find out what they are all about. I'm getting tired of Daily snapshots just to find a good build every time I buy an older device. Mine (AX2) is due to arrive March 2023, I was a bit slow on the uptake plus I have no great desire for it to arrive tomorrow so to speak.
No need for the extra stuff features-wise so hopefully I'll get a positive experience out of the box for a change from the get go over the next 12 months in prep for bigger speed, If I like what I see I might get the AX3 and start moving over to 10GB or faster internal etc. I was initially looking for a better AP with WiFi6/WPA3 and a bit more oomph.

Associate
I have an RB5009UG+S+IN router. It's really nice hardware and relatively cheap. The downside is the software (RouterOS specifically). Though powerful, it's very user-unfriendly, exposing raw features with no abstraction on top. I had to learn more about networking than I ever wanted to in order to get it set up how I wanted.

Reactions: R3X
Associate
Got all excited about the AX3... Then I saw it only has one 2.5gbe port. Boo.

What were you expecting from a £100 router, 5x 10Gbe ports, WIFI 6E and an 10G SFP+ cage? :)

I am more than happy with my RB5009, running 7.6rc1, but I am having a few quirks with containers at the moment. I will probably redo the config this weekend.

Soldato
I have an RB5009UG+S+IN router. It's really nice hardware and relatively cheap. The downside is the software (RouterOS specifically). Though powerful, it's very user-unfriendly, exposing raw features with no abstraction on top. I had to learn more about networking than I ever wanted to in order to get it set up how I wanted.
So you got a router and an education? Bargain!

I make no apology for the software, it’s not like every post ever about MikroTik says it’s got a learning curve steeper than the north face of the Eiger.

Once you get your head around it though it’s very good.

What were you expecting from a £100 router, 5x 10Gbe ports, WIFI 6E and an 10G SFP+ cage? :)

I am more than happy with my RB5009, running 7.6rc1, but I am having a few quirks with containers at the moment. I will probably redo the config this weekend.

Having never heard of it before, but looking at it I was hoping it would be a first router with 2.5gb ports all round.

SFP+ would be a bonus though, and if you want to through Wifi6E in as well... :D

Soldato
Having never heard of it before, but looking at it I was hoping it would be a first router with 2.5gb ports all round.

SFP+ would be a bonus though, and if you want to through Wifi6E in as well... :D
I have tested a hacked RB4011 WLAN with the AC card swapped out for an AX card so there is no reason why it couldn’t be swapped out for a 6E card if Mikrotik release one. The key thing is that RouterOS is RouterOS is RouterOS so long as you download the right one for your CPU you get all the drivers for every Mikrotik device so they all do everything their chipsets are capable of. It’s a very different business model to Ubiquiti Networks who lock everything down.

Associate
I wouldn’t touch any software not in the Stable release channel. The newer stuff can be properly buggy.

Downgraded to 'stable' OS7.5 on my RB5009, re-formatted my 8GB Cruzer USB drive to EXT4 and I have managed to get my PiHole container back up and running. I will deal with getting my Unifi controller running in a container later...

Soldato
Downgraded to 'stable' OS7.5 on my RB5009, re-formatted my 8GB Cruzer USB drive to EXT4 and I have managed to get my PiHole container back up and running. I will deal with getting my Unifi controller running in a container later...
I think you have to be realistic about what systems can do. As I pointed out above, RouterOS is always the complete package so features that are actually intended to be used at Meta on serious hardware routers are available on the hAP AC and the RB5009 but that doesn’t always mean it’s a great idea to use them. It’s good to know the RB5009 can run these options.

Back
Top Bottom