*** Official Nintendo Wii U thread ***

What I dont get is why console developers waste time developing SKU's with such a difference in storage capacity (8gb or 32gb? Really?) if the cost of memory in this form is so negligible. Well I guess there's one fairly obvious reason....

Pugz

Could someone confirm something about the Wii-U i am slightly confused about. (Ive looked online at various posts but cant find a clear answer)

Can all games be played on the Gamepad i.e. eliminating the need for a television? (I only ask as this is the main reason I want the console so I can play remotely on the pad when the TV is in use or big-screen when its free? (Seems a bit pointless if i am at the mercy of developers to support this feature and it not being built in to all titles.. )

Could someone confirm something about the Wii-U i am slightly confused about. (Ive looked online at various posts but cant find a clear answer)

Can all games be played on the Gamepad i.e. eliminating the need for a television? (I only ask as this is the main reason I want the console so I can play remotely on the pad when the TV is in use or big-screen when its free? (Seems a bit pointless if i am at the mercy of developers to support this feature and it not being built in to all titles.. )

This is game specific.

One reason I suppose would be games which rely on the GamePad for unique functionality, e.g. ZombieU using it as a scanner, a keypad etc. ZombieUI IIRC does not support Off TV play.

This is game specific.

One reason I suppose would be games which rely on the GamePad for unique functionality, e.g. ZombieU using it as a scanner, a keypad etc. ZombieUI IIRC does not support Off TV play.

That is frustrating, do you know if they will clearly label the boxes of games as featuring 'off TV play' ?

The reason i ask is my TV is in use 80% of the time so I don't really want to be buying titles that are so dependant on it as ill never get a chance to play them.

No not all games will support this - but many will. There are lists around if you google them.

It's going to vary by game because some will be designed to make heavy use of the gamepad screen for input - odviously if your then using the gamepad screen as the main display you've then lost all the touch input that game may be relying on.

Also, you cannot run any Wii/Virtual Console titles on just the gamepad.

Are you sure? I read that it had it's own senor bar built in which would imply that you could stand it up and point the wii remotes at it, that would, to me, also imply that it should play the old games in the old way but on the game pad screen.

I may well be wrong.

EDIT :-

Looks like I am wrong at the moment but they are working on a virtual console which may allow it later. As said below as well by Bossk128.

Last edited:
snip

I read today on either Kotaku, GamesRadar or wherever the heck else I'm visiting that Nintendo is working on fixing this.

The greatest problem we all have at the moment is that little of the available information is coming from Nintendo, much is from journalists or is just from discussion boards. This is the risk of pre-ordering, not knowing for sure what things may or may not be supported. I trust that there will be at least 15 great games in it's lifetime, then I'll be happy.

I read today on either Kotaku, GamesRadar or wherever the heck else I'm visiting that Nintendo is working on fixing this.

The greatest problem we all have at the moment is that little of the available information is coming from Nintendo, much is from journalists or is just from discussion boards. This is the risk of pre-ordering, not knowing for sure what things may or may not be supported. I trust that there will be at least 15 great games in it's lifetime, then I'll be happy.

If they come out with a game as good as Mario Galaxy I'd be happy.... I'm not sure if I'll be pre-ordering though as you say there are so many unknowns still.

Personally I can't see them being able to 'fix' playing Wii games on just the the pad... but Virtual Console games should really have been there from day 1.

The console is due this weekend in the US, so you have about 2 weeks to the let the guinea pigs over there try it out, give their opinions and then you make your mind up off that before the UK release date.

I pre-ordered mine when the Zombie U pack was going for just under £300. I need a new toy to play with over Christmas this year. I might even grab myself 3DS XL so I’m all Nintendo’ed up! :)

Last edited:
The console is due this weekend in the US, so you have about 2 weeks to the let the guinea pigs over there try it out and give their opinions and then you make your mind up off that before the UK release date.

I pre-ordered mine when the Zombie U pack was going for just under £300. I need a new toy to play with over Christmas this year. I might even grab myself 3DS XL so I’m all Nintendo’ed up! :)

I caved on the 3DS XL the moment Amazon had it on offer for £160 with Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D for free xD Still very tempted by the Wii U but I'm not sure if I can justify the purchase with so few games out for it that I don't already own or want. But as you say I'll be keeping an eye on what the Yanks say in-case that sways my decision.

I already have my Wii U premium pre-ordered for weeks now. I meant in my post that I DO trust there will be good games!!

I don't even care if the GamePad doesn't pan out, it's all about the games for me. I love my 3DS too, but am fairly ambivalent about the 3D!

First Reviews in @IGN

New Super Mario Bros U - 9.1

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-review

Nintendo Land - 8.7

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/nintendo-land-review

Ninja Gaiden - 7.6 (PS3 + XBox360 - 3.0)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/13/ninja-gaiden-3-razors-edge-review

Got my pre-order(s) sorted at the announcement date :)

Mario, Nintendoland, ZombiU and COD are going to be picked up.

Pikmin and Rayman Legends will follow on release.

Haven't played ACIII deliberately so will pick that up eventually.

Back
Top Bottom