** Official Recording/Streaming Tips & Tricks Exchange **

Associate
Not from here I hope :(

Just soooo angry - you help people, give them advice etc help them set up software etc and then they do that.

Really makes you think why should I help people

Caporegime
Just soooo angry - you help people, give them advice etc help them set up software etc and then they do that.

Really makes you think why should I help people

I would have probably politely asked him not to advertise his channel / twitch, then go from there. If he doesn't get the message, ban him.

Soldato
Does anyone here stream and use Twitch Alerts?

I've configured everything and tested it as SubAlert which I used to use has stopped working since Twitch updated their API.

My follower alert isn't working, do I have to have Twitch Alerts/Stream Labs open on FireFox in the background to make it work? I've added it via CLR Browser and whatnot.

Caporegime
I really need to vent this after last night so apologies guys.

As you know, besides Youtube, I live stream through Twitch, and have a bigger following there then in Youtube, currently.

Last night I had someone who watches me decide they were going to try streaming, and proceeded to ask questions to set up etc, which I don't mind helping with.

However they then turn around in the middle of my stream and tell people to come and watch them instead!!!

Its annoyed me massively!! Its just down right rude!

thats why you have mods to instantly ban people like that.when im doing live events or videos the amount of people who do it is quite annoying but its part and parcel of succeeding or growing.

just be polite have mods remove the links.no issue.also understand it will happen more and more as you grow.so dont get annoyed at it.

Caporegime
One of the pieces of footage I've imported into my editor timeline has out of sync audio (yes, ShadowPlay variable bit rate). However, I've noticed that after running it through handbrake, part of the footage is now synced properly as desired, but another section isn't.

Do you just run it through handbrake again, or try something else? I don't always find it works 100% first time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
One of the pieces of footage I've imported into my editor timeline has out of sync audio (yes, ShadowPlay variable bit rate). However, I've noticed that after running it through handbrake, part of the footage is now synced properly as desired, but another section isn't.

Do you just run it through handbrake again, or try something else? I don't always find it works 100% first time.

Yikes - that doesn't sound good. I can't imagine running it through again would have any effect... when you say out of sync do you mean by a constant amount? Or is it sort of getting worse as time goes on?

Caporegime
Yikes - that doesn't sound good. I can't imagine running it through again would have any effect... when you say out of sync do you mean by a constant amount? Or is it sort of getting worse as time goes on?

Constant amount. It doesn't get worse, thankfully. In fact, the bit that was detected later on, is only ever so slightly out of sync. I may just end up leaving it as it is. I guess it's that or throw the piece of footage away.

Soldato
OP
Constant amount. It doesn't get worse, thankfully. In fact, the bit that was detected later on, is only ever so slightly out of sync. I may just end up leaving it as it is. I guess it's that or throw the piece of footage away.

If it's a constant amount can't you just try and identify roughly where it starts and shift the audio yourself? (perhaps masking the transition with a natural seeming cut in the video)... Most editors will let you separate the audio and video and then you can simply slide one or the other to correct things...?

Caporegime
If it's a constant amount can't you just try and identify roughly where it starts and shift the audio yourself? (perhaps masking the transition with a natural seeming cut in the video)... Most editors will let you separate the audio and video and then you can simply slide one or the other to correct things...?

Yeah, that's probably the best option. Thanks. :)

Soldato
I'm just getting back into YouTube now. I bought DXTory but after playing around with and watching some YouTube channels I think I'll use OBS Studio with the NVENC encoder as that uses less of my CPU power which is important because I'll be a using a laptop to do all of my recording and editing (although it is a pretty high end gaming laptop so it should be OK).

I'll also be getting Adobe Creative Cloud for all my editing needs. I'm a bit nervous because it is a big monthly expense but if the worst comes to the worst I can always cancel. I might sign up for Lynda.com to watch some video tutorials on how to use all the software first though as I have a feeling they will all be very complex programs to learn how to use.

Wish me luck :). I'll be trying to put out 4 - 5 videos a week from now on.

Caporegime
I'm just getting back into YouTube now. I bought DXTory but after playing around with and watching some YouTube channels I think I'll use OBS Studio with the NVENC encoder as that uses less of my CPU power which is important because I'll be a using a laptop to do all of my recording and editing (although it is a pretty high end gaming laptop so it should be OK).

I'll also be getting Adobe Creative Cloud for all my editing needs. I'm a bit nervous because it is a big monthly expense but if the worst comes to the worst I can always cancel. I might sign up for Lynda.com to watch some video tutorials on how to use all the software first though as I have a feeling they will all be very complex programs to learn how to use.

I've looked at Lynda.com as well, and will likely sign up for something in the future. With regards to Creative Cloud, I currently only use Premiere Pro though I'd like to add more apps in the future like After Effects / Illustrator / Audition / Photoshop. Something like the £45 per month plan will probably be what I opt for.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've looked at Lynda.com as well, and likely will sign up for something in the future. With regards to Creative Cloud, I currently only use Premiere Pro though I'd like to add more apps in the future like After Effects / Illustrator / Audition / Photoshop. Something like the £45 per month plan will probably be what I opt for.

Yeah the £45 per month plan is what I'm planning on going with. I need Premiere Pro, After Effects (to make my intro), Audition and Photoshop. So for £45 a month I'll certainly be getting value for money it is just I am not that well off so £45 every month is a big expense.

I think I'll go with the 10 day free trial of Lynda.com and try and watch as much as I possibly can in that period and then I might keep the subscription for another month just to learn what I need to learn and then I'll probably cancel.

Caporegime
Yeah the £45 per month plan is what I'm planning on going with. I need Premiere Pro, After Effects (to make my intro), Audition and Photoshop. So for £45 a month I'll certainly be getting value for money it is just I am not that well off so £45 every month is a big expense.

I think I'll go with the 10 day free trial of Lynda.com and try and watch as much as I possibly can in that period and then I might keep the subscription for another month just to learn what I need to learn and then I'll probably cancel.

Out of interest, do you know if paint.net can do most of what photoshop does, or is it far behind in terms of features? I use it for basic thumbnails and video intros at the moment, but was wondering whether I would actually need photoshop in the future. Then again, as it's part of the monthly package, I guess it doesn't matter. :)

Soldato
OP

Good luck! Don't burn yourself out though; that's a lot of content if you want to do any sort of decent editing on it... (See how you go though, of course!)

It's just coming up on the 1-year anniversary of starting our Youtube channel... lost a bit of steam lately mostly due to lack of games that we want to cover, but broadly speaking still happy with what we've put out...

~50 subs after a year seems pretty low, but at least a decent number of those were organic... A few "successful" videos which got a few hundred views... lots of learning about how to do things, maybe year 2 will be more successful!

Soldato
Good luck! Don't burn yourself out though; that's a lot of content if you want to do any sort of decent editing on it... (See how you go though, of course!)

Thanks :). Yeah I'm going to try it out and see how I get on. I really enjoy doing things like this though so hopefully I won't burn out. I'll probably be covering games that not many channels bother with so hopefully that will be my niche.

It's just coming up on the 1-year anniversary of starting our Youtube channel... lost a bit of steam lately mostly due to lack of games that we want to cover, but broadly speaking still happy with what we've put out...

~50 subs after a year seems pretty low, but at least a decent number of those were organic... A few "successful" videos which got a few hundred views... lots of learning about how to do things, maybe year 2 will be more successful!

Sounds good :). I hope you have a good 2nd year of YouTube. I'd be happy with 50 subs it goes to show that people actually like your content.

Just out of interest how many videos do you do a week and what is your upload schedule? I'm trying to plan out mine at the moment and was just wondering what other people did.

I was thinking a video on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and if I have to miss one of those I can do an extra video on Saturday or Sunday just in case.

Caporegime
I'm trying to plan out mine at the moment and was just wondering what other people did.

I don't have a set schedule at the moment. I'm in the process of finishing a playthrough of a few games (two down, two to go) before I add any fresh content. Quite some time ago, I said I wouldn't add any more non-commentary playthroughs, but I then proceeded to start four more! :D As a consequence, since around the spring it has equally felt like a chore at times, though I'm still going to bring them to a conclusion for the sake of completeness.

In the future, I would like to start using CC to do more than just game playthroughs, though I'm not precisely sure what yet. I'll certainly try my hand at a game review of some kind, but would also like to experiment with other things like illustrator. Maybe my own children's graphical story / video.

I'll still do a game playthrough, but far less of them at one time and commentary will be a must - though God knows what I'll say. I'm better with the written word than the spoken.

Last edited:
Soldato
Something that's just popped up in my head.

Do we know of any software that allows you to record audio from a specific program, such as If i wanted Discord/TS to have its own audio track without any interference from other programs.

Or is it something that can only be bodged with Virtual Audio Cable?

Something So I can manage audio levels a bit better in Sony Vegas, like one track has the game audio, another track has my voice which was recorded in Audacity and then another track that's only recorded Discord/TS audio.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sounds good :). I hope you have a good 2nd year of YouTube. I'd be happy with 50 subs it goes to show that people actually like your content.

Just out of interest how many videos do you do a week and what is your upload schedule? I'm trying to plan out mine at the moment and was just wondering what other people did.

I was thinking a video on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and if I have to miss one of those I can do an extra video on Saturday or Sunday just in case.

Cheers... Our schedule (and content) has changed a fair bit over time... Initially we were doing daily videos, because our theory was that getting a lot of content out there would help get the channel off to a good start... We managed to maintain this fairly well for a while, but it was quite hard work so we eventually cut it back to just 3 videos a week...

The other main thing is we realised that you don't get much of a response when you cover games that are too popular and/or done to death by bigger channels already... So our content moved more towards trying to cover smaller new games (all of our biggest videos are ones where we managed to cover a brand new indie game pretty much)... Since then we've tended not to bother releasing content unless it's worthwhile (and there haven't been enough couch co-op titles lately to satisfy that)... We're thinking of carrying on Dead Space 3 just because it happens to be halloween and we want to play it :rolleyes:

Do we know of any software that allows you to record audio from a specific program, such as If i wanted Discord/TS to have its own audio track without any interference from other programs.

Or is it something that can only be bodged with Virtual Audio Cable?

Something So I can manage audio levels a bit better in Sony Vegas, like one track has the game audio, another track has my voice which was recorded in Audacity and then another track that's only recorded Discord/TS audio.

Hope that makes sense.

There's two different questions you're asking here I think... How to output sound to different audio devices, and how to capture sound from multiple devices. Some recording software covers the latter (DXTory or OBS will let you have multiple audio sources on separate channels)... To split your output sound into multiple devices Virtual Audio Cable is one option, or also a free alternative called VB-AUDIO cable, though I've not used that one

Soldato
There's two different questions you're asking here I think... How to output sound to different audio devices, and how to capture sound from multiple devices. Some recording software covers the latter (DXTory or OBS will let you have multiple audio sources on separate channels)... To split your output sound into multiple devices Virtual Audio Cable is one option, or also a free alternative called VB-AUDIO cable, though I've not used that one

I probably explained it terribly.

I just want to have the ability to record a program such as Discord audio only, no other overlapping audio from a game I'm playing or any other type of windows sound, I just want to record the audio from that specific program only and I'm hoping there was some piece of software that would just simply let me pick what I want and record.

Not sure if OBS does such a thing, I'm on what's now called OBS classic since I've used OBS for years and allowed it to auto update.

Heard OBS Studio has some substantial features that the Classic version doesn't have.

Any idea.

Quick bit of googling seems to show my best option really is to set Discord or whatever program audio I want to record to use VAC and then use the multiple tracks feature in OBS Studio.

Last edited:
Associate
I do between 4-7 videos a week, and fitting it in with work and streaming is a tight push at times.

I normally set 5-6 hours aside for vidoe creation - Recording Gameplay and doing commentary around it is easier then doing some other video's

Then I just bulk upload over night with them scheduled on go live dates.

All my videos go live at 8am in the morning so they are there for people 1st thing or later on.

I only started YouTube this may ish, and in that time I've gone from 0 to 150 odd followers o I'm, pretty happy with that. Also thanks to you guys here I've made a lot of changes and Improvements I hope - Audio has really improved with the next step being a proper Mic and pop filter etc - though I need to make some changes to my stream room / office first for that.

As Valk keeps telling me - Stick at it and push through!

Back
Top Bottom