*** Official Rugby League SLXVII Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Briers was pretty much nullified throughout and he rarely got a good attacking kick in. I think the main difference was that Leeds' kicking game was absolutely spot on all night.

Associate
Have to agree here! A lot of Wire fans and I suspect the players thought that all they had to do was turn up. To be fair, I thought Warrington were going to demolish Leeds, too!

I thought Richie Myler and Chris Hill had a good game though.

Leeds deserved the win (as much as it pines me to say it), they have a core 6, or, 7 players that are solid and work for each other.

This is something that money simply cant buy!

Associate
Briers was pretty much nullified throughout and he rarely got a good attacking kick in. I think the main difference was that Leeds' kicking game was absolutely spot on all night.

Well, once they got it to Sinfield it was! Burrow's 40-20 was right out of the top drawer as well, Leeds really should have scored from that set.

After Warrington's first try, Leeds packed the middle and didn't let go of it until both teams tired at the end.

Just read that Paul Wood had a ruptured testicle! Ouch!

Rugby league finally has its own Buck Shelford :p

Soldato
Not only ruptured but also had to have it removed! :eek:

Looking back on my initial predictions at the start of this thread I'm still kind of in shock that we've managed to pull it off again. There is just something about the playoffs that cause us to turn up the gas and pull out the performances when they matter.

Sir Kev is an absolute beast of a player and as many have said I can't believe he wasn't up for Man of Steel. The team might not perform consistently throughout the season but Kev does and even more so when it matters the most. To get up from that blatantly deliberate headbutt evidently unaffected and lead the troops to another Grand Final victory. Simply amazing.

Soldato
OP
Interesting comments from Neil Hudgell today on BBC Radio Humberside's SportsTalk show.

New North Stand: Are seriously considering putting an offer on for away supporters in the form of a buy one get one free ticket offer for away fans to try and encourage more away fans to our place. Generally, Leeds and Wigan fill the away end but support from the other clubs isn't that great. He appreciated that the south "stand" end is an attrocious place to watch a game and that this incentive may encourage more away fans each year. Will be finished about July time next year and will be for famillies and away fans.

South Stand Development: South stand probably going to consist of a 1500 capacity terracing, with an indoor training facility and possible accomodation (hotel?). Have visuals and ideas floating about, but land, planning and funding issues remain the hurdles to progress. Expected that it will be a far more modest budget than that of the north stand and hope that the north stand will act as a catalyst to spurring on south stand developments. Again, like the north stand, it won't merely be a stand, it will be a fully functioning business unit that will haev income all year round, not just on matchdays.

SL: Thought Bradford should have been relegated for breaking the rules of the SL licence and that the SL should have seized it as an opportunity for taking the first step to reducing the league to 12 clubs. His reasoning behind it is that currently clubs are paying massively over inflated wages for very average players because the player pool is too small. Reducing the number of teams would lead to a bigger share in the Sky money and lead to only quality players playing for SL sides, rather than mediochre ones on inflated wages. He also said that Bradford were were let off the hook too easily because they were "too big a brand" when really they went into insolvency and broke the rules and that the RFL choked on the decision. If the Bulls got relegated, then they would be hotly tipped to come back up at the next licensing rounds, but with Bradford coming back up, another team should have been chopped to reduce the league to 12 teams.

Mentioned that teams really only have personal agendas with regards to business within RL in that you put your club first before the sport. Owners put their own clubs first before the game, which is fair enough. But when the question about Bradford gets put on the table and if SL clubs had voted on the issue of reducing the league at Bradfords expense this year, then it would be like turkeys voting for Christmas for the smaller clubs (i.e. those clubs with grade C licences) of the league, in that they move themselves closer to the drop zone if they vote to reduce the league. So hence, the small clubs stay in a big competition, but the game on the whole may suffer. Apparently Bradford have forfeited 2 years of sky money but expect the new owners to absorb that.

Youth: Reinforced the importance of the youth setup. An episode on HKR TV earlier in the week was with the Rovers CEO explaining the good and bad sides to having a youth and academy setup, within which there are some interesting points made. One of the most important things was the again the size of the player pool. Generally speaking, there are around 6-7 players in our academy who have a strong chance of coming through to the first team, but for these 6-7 players you have to have another 10 to "fill the shirts" in order to get a team together to fulfill the fixtures. The same goes for all the ages. It is however unfair to fill those additional shirts with young kids that will be left "hanging on" with a deluded view that they may make it in the future, only to be told at the age of 21 "thanks for all you have done, but go and find a job". It is unfair on those kids to just chuck them out on the scrapheap after living under false hope, to be left to find a job and have lost years behind other young kids in the job market. So to fill a team is actually quite unfair, and its not right. It was therefore proposed that the whole of RL needs a root and branch review to stop things like this happening.

Scott Taylor: Deal pretty much done, Wigan and will be announced in the next few days. Looks like there will be a cash and player deal for Scott. Gutted really, but the player clearly didn't want to stay even though we offered him a much improved deal. His agent wouldn't even renegotiate, not even a little bit, so Rovers were left with no option but to put him out to the market in order to get the transfer fee. I do feel however, that his wages at Wigan would be disproportionate to his ability and that he has possibly been a little over-hyped but I have no doubt that he will go well at Wigan. It's just some clubs have more financial clout than others and it damned sure isn't about playing for the pride of the shirt anymore.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Forgot to add:

I propose we keep this thread live as the main RL thread, it keeps up the post count and makes it look like a more regular thread and also preserves the history of our previous seasons.

Could I therefore ask a mod (Gilly?) to change the thread title to increment SLXVII to SLXVIII?

Thank you guys, its been a real pleasure and I look forwards to next year and hopefully without its off field dramas, focussing completely on the rugby, the way it should be. Here's to 2013 and let the discussion commence!

Soldato
I'm already looking forward to the new season, will be getting a season ticket for Rhino's this time as I now only live 20 min walk from the stadium so no travel costs :D

Soldato
1. Your team - Warrington Wolves
2. Your expecatations this season - top 3
3. Your most anticipated new signings - Waterhouse
4. Who will win the league leaders shield - Wigan
5. Who will be the dark horses of the competition - Widnes, i dont expect them to be whipping boys!
6. Any updates from your club, new ground etc - As mentioned above, stadium upgrades and also our Chairman was awarded a CBE in the New Year honours list!
7. Final league position of your club -2nd, but with a Grand Final appearance.

Think I got it pretty much nailed in my predictions. Still gutted about the final, though if anyone other than us is to win it Leeds aren't too bad, at least it wasn't the pies or saints!!

Agree with Gilly, lets archive this one so it doesn't get deleted and then start afresh for the new season.

Soldato
OP
Still a bit annoyed that London have put the Wigan game 'on the road'. The best away day of the season too. Looks like I'm going to Oxford instead of Twickenham this year.

Agreed about kicking off the new thread.

Ok, I'll set one up tonight with the usual blurb. Don't even get me started in fixtures! Neil Hudgell requests that the RFL put fixtures at Craven Park such as Wire, Wigan, Leeds etc towards the second half of the season so their away fans can use our new stand (when it opens in June). But it appears the RFL ignored all that and gave us Salford and London at home in the back half of the season, who bring like 3 fans each....:mad::confused:

Honestly, I don't know what goes through their brains. The viewing will be 10000000 times better than from our south stand so we would be providing away fans with a better matchday experience and rake a bit more money in. Instead they went for the exact opposite, so, sorry Wigan, sorry Leeds, sorry Warrington, you'll have to make do with the south stand again. Utterley avoidable.

Back
Top Bottom