• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

I don't understand why AMD don't use this chance to move to LGA socket? I removed the stock cooler the other day and the cpu came off with it! Luckily no pins were bent.

I don't understand why AMD don't use this chance to move to LGA socket? I removed the stock cooler the other day and the cpu came off with it! Luckily no pins were bent.
Prefer not having to RMA motherboards for bent pins.
And that shouldn't have happened, since you lock the CPU in with the clip at the side, so you must have unlocked that whilst trying to unclip the cooler.

No the clip was still locked in place when cooler/CPU came off. Its just something that happens to AMD CPU when the paste is glued on a bit too tight.

How are none of you posting in the gfx bench threads? These are supposed to be pretty good in CPU scoring.

Some result when checking which Power Plan to use in Win 7 Pro.

Balanced Core Parking 10%

Balanced Core Parking 50%

High Performance Core Parking 100%

Some early benches just to get a baseline.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/11965808/fs/11966073/fs/11967142/fs/11971070

Currently as stress testing I knocked Fury X down to stock, even though the OC on GPU has been extensively tested in past 1yr+. Will be added some Ryzen benchmarks to my OCN thread soon: Fury X 3DMark 13 Mega bench (FS / FSE / FSU over 250+ runs) by gupsterg

The gap at 1440P closes between the i5 4690K result vs R7 1700 (closer on combined test), the i5 was polished for OC, need to do the same for R7 1700.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12021763/fs/11480706

[GUIDE] 3DMark Score Calculation - how to calculate 3DMark Scores

Last edited:
I normally give the CPU a prime95 test for a few mins just before I'm going to pull the cooler off as it softens the paste a little bit and avoids the CPU coming off with it.

Well, whatever the slight misgivings I have about the huge expense of my build and the numerous growing pains of this new line of AMD chips, I have to say that 16GB of (2100mhz) ram, a 960evo and 8c/16t of 1800x overkill makes my sprawling Transport Fever games run beautifully.

All I need now is a proper high end GPU to drive this 1440p monitor and make my 3D intensive games run rather more acceptably.

@AMDMatt
What's your current settings?

I'm at:
CPU @ 4GHz (40x100.2)
RAM @ 3200MHz (3200MHz multi) 14,15,15,34,1T
1.382v vcore
1.375v DRAM
1.375v DRAM Boot
LLC Level 3
1.825v PLL
1.125v SOC

Just waiting on my AM4 bracket from corsair as I'm hitting over 80c, the contact isn't very good with the H115i and the AM3 backplate. I'm giving them until next Friday before I argue it with Corsair and OCUK to send it back for a different cooler.

@AMDMatt
What's your current settings?

I'm at:
CPU @ 4GHz (40x100.2)
RAM @ 3200MHz (3200MHz multi) 14,15,15,34,1T
1.382v vcore
1.375v DRAM
1.375v DRAM Boot
LLC Level 3
1.825v PLL
1.125v SOC

Just waiting on my AM4 bracket from corsair as I'm hitting over 80c, the contact isn't very good with the H115i and the AM3 backplate. I'm giving them until next Friday before I argue it with Corsair and OCUK to send it back for a different cooler.

Nice voltages.

I'm at 4.025Ghz (one P State overclock above 4Ghz flat) @1.436v. 4Ghz is stable at 1.394v - 1.417v. I'm probably going to inch up to 4.050Ghz if i can keep voltages below 1.5v as temps are not a concern.
RAM 3200MHZ CL 14-14-14-34-1T @1.4v
DRAM boot @1.5v (just to ensure plenty of voltage at boot, could probably lower)
LLC3 CPU
1.810v PLL
0.981v SOC
LL3 SOC

My h110i makes pretty good contact i think, it felt very secure when fitting. I like the AMD mounting system, simple but effective.

That just grips the pins rather than physically locking the CPU in place, so it's entirely possible to pull the CPU out of the socket without lifting the securing arm. Done it myself in the past, as mentioned it's usually because the TIM has dried out and stuck the cooler to the CPU.

Prefer not having to RMA motherboards for bent pins.
And that shouldn't have happened, since you lock the CPU in with the clip at the side, so you must have unlocked that whilst trying to unclip the cooler.

My Ryzen did also came off when tried to re-install it on Friday night, and only had fresh paste on it installed just 24 hours earlier!!!!!!

Imho they do not have to go to LGA. Nothing stopped AMD to implement on the AM4 a method similar to the X99/X79 and still keep their pins.
It would secure the chip on the board and not come off. Also much easier to clean and replace the CPU cooler without having the chance for the CPU to come off, and start cleaning pins that got paste on them, or the motherboard holes.

Done it myself in the past, as mentioned it's usually because the TIM has dried out and stuck the cooler to the CPU.
Odd, was under the impression it locked in. Cant say I've ever managed to pull one out of the socket. TIL

My Ryzen did also came off when tried to re-install it on Friday night, and only had fresh paste on it installed just 24 hours earlier!!!!!!
again weird, can't say I've experienced it and I've used AMD CPU's for ages but ah well. I feel like in that situation you would be equal odds on damaging pins even if they were in the motherboard.

When I was removing the stock cooler on a 3 day old Ryzen install, if I didn't twist it off, I could easily believe it would rip the CPU out.

I was pulling it and fortunately before I gave it a proper yank, it clicked in my head it could pull the CPU out.

It is locked in, but through the pins themselves?

Someone wanted 6 hours of Prime FFT
e536e0bc59ca3b5b.jpg

Also passed 3 hours of blend mode
2410c8ad7cda66ba.jpg

6 hours of Aida.
And my nr1 meltdown aka Intel Burn test at Maximum settings 40 minutes. Could not be asked to run it longer as it was last thing i ran after 15 hours of constant load :]

80e9037d6b1efed9.jpg
For interested Swapping Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut for CL Ultra dropped maximum load temperature in my case by 3c-4c. Since last time around i peaked at 91 aka 71 :p

Btw my voltage is 1.395 jumping to 1.417 up and down SOC 1.12. Turns out my G.Skills that supposed to have Samsing got fuckign hynix ------> Ebay since im week out of RMA option due to.. NO MOTHERBOARDS :/

Even played some games besides burning electricity :D 3 hour Nighthold raid 25M and Robo Recall on Oculus Rift. Both run faster than on my 5820k setup :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom