• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Associate
Each to there own but I would run prime for 1/2 hour then just do some gaming and see what happens

I agree, then if it becomes unstable you can alway adjust. I used to run prime for hours years back, don't bother anymore as I find other stress tests find the instabilities faster and never have an issue after settling.

Soldato
Soldato
Tbh I've never had an unstable overclock that wasnt picked up in gaming or video editing. You know when it's not stable, it crashes! But each to their own .

Not always. You can get whea errors in event viewer and your system won't necessarily crash. You could spend a few hours in games at a time thinking its stable or just check the event viewer to realise you likely haven't got quite enough voltage.

Soldato
Not always. You can get whea errors in event viewer and your system won't necessarily crash. You could spend a few hours in games at a time thinking its stable or just check the event viewer to realise you likely haven't got quite enough voltage.
But if its not affecting me then why would I bother going looking for problems?
Its like asking for a diagnostic check on a car even though the engine management light is not on.
I realise people are different but a few hours in realbench and gaming is good enough for me.

Soldato
I remember when people used to 8hr prime and call it stable i spent so long trying to get CPUs, a little tweak then wait over night and wake up to see if it ran and what the max temp was. I used to do it with all my rigs, then BFBC2 used to crash it after 10mins and haven't really bothered with it since, seems a complete waste of time unless you want to know if your PC can run prime for 8hrs!
As for prime burning CPUs out, well i dont agree its runs them at max clocks and runs them hard, if they are not capable of that for 8hrs then there is something fundamentally wrong with the CPU or overclock.

Don
But if its not affecting me then why would I bother going looking for problems?
Its like asking for a diagnostic check on a car even though the engine management light is not on.
I realise people are different but a few hours in realbench and gaming is good enough for me.
Because WHEA errors today can be random crashes in 6 months time at the height is summer.

Soldato
PC is now together, would not go into BIOS with 4*8GB RAM, crashed showing MSI page and the spinner stopped spinning. Took out 2*8GB and I have installed Windows.

Man of Honour
Got my 1700 set up and running, noticing that its not going beyond 3ghz though. When does the 3.7ghz boost start? o_0

What you need to do sir is go into bios and find the button that does the boosty thing :) All very technical I know, you can thank me later :D

Associate
I am using Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4 Memory Kit - Black, I put them in the slots recommended by the manual. If you click the link in my sig you can see my setup....
The exact RAM I've bought .. and now I'm reading all over that it's turd and that Samsung B-die is the bee's knees for Ryzen, 2x16GB is too much and dual rank is a no-no. Considered returning, but nah - AM4 was born yesterday and it's still learning to sit straight, let alone walk. Your post makes me feel better already [:
What I actually returned was the Crosshair VI, after reading about those self-bricks. Waiting to see what MSI have to offer (looking at you, sexy Carbon).

Back
Top Bottom