• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
Can I just ask what you guys run on your VMs ? Just curious is all.

Was thinking of maybe going to threadThread on 7nm but I'm at a loss to imagine what I would run on a VM that would require me to move to HEDT. I guess maybe an SQL server for work, but then I would only really use it for test restores and the like, nothing I couldn't do on a standard desktop really.

Only other thing I can think of is running an SBS for the wife's company or something.
I run Linux mint inside windows for testing software works cross platform.

Also have a vm again Linux for any purchases I make keep my details away from main system and less likely to get struck by any security threats if it 9nly loads amazon and say ocuk

I got Threadripper because 9900k was only few hundred less and I can use the cores for software testing my core aware image recognition software.

Seemed silly to go from 1800x to 2700k for a second system. For gaming
So now got one box for everything

Soldato
I run a TFS instance with build agents and test agents too. Also need to try things on a clean machine. My intention was to do all this in VM's although for now I kept my other PC which now runs pretty much 24/7 as the TFS server (Team Foundation Server) and also hosting a website, so VM's are agents. In future will also setup Linux in at least one VM, wil probably use virtualbox for that.
I haven't used the TR system as much as I'd like to host VM's due to being busy, but now have more time. But even not using VM's I see no drawbacks, personally.Dont really care about losing a few FPS in games for example. Idling, it does use more power than my other system hence why for now I've left some stuff on the quad core which now uses onboard graphics so about 30watts.
Also work with Visual Studio and the TR system works well for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I run a TFS instance with build agents and test agents too. Also need to try things on a clean machine. My intention was to do all this in VM's although for now I kept my other PC which now runs pretty much 24/7 as the TFS server (Team Foundation Server) and also hosting a website so VM's are agents. In future will also setup Linux in at least one VM, wil probably use virtualbox for that.
I haven't used the TR system as much as I'd like to host VM's due to being busy, but now have more time. But even not using VM's I see no drawbacks, personally.Dont really care about losing a few FPS in games for example. Idling, it does use more power than my other system hence why for now I've left some stuff on the quad core which now uses onboard graphics so about 30watts.
Also work with Visual Studio and the TR system works well for that.
I need to reset up my studio thanks for jogging my memory

Caporegime
I just replaced my third Liqtech TR4 360, all suffering from the same well known fault. Be careful if you use one of those, over time temperatures get worse and worse.

However, i just replaced the third one with the Liqtech TR4 II 360 (from OcuK) and my temperatures have dropped 15-25C. Even when the Liqtech 1 was brand new and working fine, my temps are still 5-10C lower. Well worth a look if you want a bit more cooling power for Threadripper without going full water cooling.

Soldato
I stuck with air cooling for nearly a year now and use the 14" version of the Noctua TR4-SP3 and recommend that up to 16 cores if anyone not bothered by overclocking. Might try an AIO in next system. Last time I used a H50.1 (I think) I found it a bit noisey, could hear the rush of air through the rad but hopefully they've moved on a bit since.
Using Asus Fan control thingymajiggy I can run my TR system quiet although I tend not to use the lowest setting where the case fans turn off.

Soldato
with using a offset my 2950x is now clocked at 3,9.99GHz 24/7 with boosts to 4.3Ghz at 1.256V with peaks to 1.31V temps dropped significantly. now max temp is 61C on all cores 100% load or 50C in games

it was -0.04500V

Soldato
360mm aio tbh wouldn't use anything less than water unless it's a very big noctua cooler and only on stock

Stock can see 65c easy at load and 68c is throttling territory according to Amd

Soldato
Hey all, I'm about to switch from Intel to Threadripper 2950X and I wanted to ask you guys what kind of CPU cooler you are using for it?

EK MLC with TR4 CPU module. Less than £150 and all the benefits of proper custom watercooling.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...-cpu-water-cooler-threadripper-hs-00g-ek.html

If you need smaller rad you can combine the parts.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...x-threadripper-cpu-module-str4-wc-9kt-ek.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...nix-240mm-radiator-core-module-hs-004-ek.html
or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...nix-280mm-radiator-core-module-hs-005-ek.html

@LtMatt why use AIO? Use the EK MLC is far superior and cheaper solution.
And you can always plug on the loop the Vega 64s.

The Asetek design is not for CPUs like TR4 or the 9000 Intels. The heat will destroy the pump attached on the CPU block.

Associate
Hello,

I have a 1920x 32 gb of corsair 3200 one LPX one rgb pro unfortunately (they sent it as a replacement for the second ordered lpx).
ATM rocking arctic cooler but temps look high as f 40 idle and 50 in games, have not tried prime as temps seem to high.

My case is the aerocool xpredator 2 with an additional 2 sharks 140 and an additional fan in front of the cpu via motherboard provided bracket.

2 things:

1. I am thinking on upgrading cooling, is the silver arrow any good? Would I have any issues in adding 4 more rgb dimms or should I consider lpx only with this cooler(rgb has bigger heatsink, led's can be turned off fortunately and would not want to mix ram too much)

2. What video card best matches threadripper? I was thinking on vega 56... is this ok given.current market? Should I consider another one? It'll go alongside a gtx970, for casual gaming(3440x1440 resolution) and VM number x crunching.

Associate
2. What video card best matches threadripper? I was thinking on vega 56... is this ok given.current market? Should I consider another one? It'll go alongside a gtx970, for casual gaming(3440x1440 resolution) and VM number x crunching.

Why bother with Vega? sell the 970 and drop in 1080Ti all gaming needs catered for at your res.

Soldato

Is your monitor Freesync or Gsync?

If you go down the route of TensorFlow and number crunching, buy a Vega 64, is faster than anything NVidia has on consumer market for this purpose. While is pretty good card for gaming.

Otherwise buy what ever you like.

Associate
Hello,

Thnak you for the quick reply.

No Freesync or Gsync, I have AV and IPS mat panels for high image quality. From my perspective 1080ti it's game only card, I see very little focus on anything else. Also ati/amd seem to better present colors(nvidia feels washed out).
970 will be left for cuda purposes, just in case I will encounter anything based only on nvidia.

Associate
Went with sapphire vega 64 nitro +, well see when it arrives how will fit both cards as a 3 slot card seems rather awkward, are there any pcie raisers with x4 x1 x1 x1 brake out?
hawe 3 slots bellow the board thought i could use them for storage and expansion(as i could not find a e-atx board apart from asus which I did not like)....

Soldato
Went with sapphire vega 64 nitro +, well see when it arrives how will fit both cards as a 3 slot card seems rather awkward, are there any pcie raisers with x4 x1 x1 x1 brake out?
hawe 3 slots bellow the board thought i could use them for storage and expansion(as i could not find a e-atx board apart from asus which I did not like)....

Your main GPU has to be on the 1st slot at it will be access by the first chip in the TR4 CPUs. Which board you have as most have good spacing fitting 2.5 size cards

Back
Top Bottom