*** Official SONOS Thread ***

Associate
So I've just received my first Sonos device, a One SL for the kitchen, however having problems at setup.

I opened the app and found the speaker, entered my WiFi details, it eventually says that it's connected to WiFi, but that the speaker may not appear in the system tab, and I need to return to the settings menu to finish setup.

There's now a tab in there that says "Unable to find your Sonos system", so I tap it, and it asks me if I've changed any network settings, which I obviously haven't so I tap no, then it tries to search for my system again. However after a few seconds the thing just closes and puts me back on the settings menu with nothing changed.

I've tried a factory reset of the speaker, by unplugging, then holding down the pair button and replugging, also resetting the app, but I just get the same problem.

Any ideas? Very frustrated.

Associate
So I've just received my first Sonos device, a One SL for the kitchen, however having problems at setup.

I opened the app and found the speaker, entered my WiFi details, it eventually says that it's connected to WiFi, but that the speaker may not appear in the system tab, and I need to return to the settings menu to finish setup.

There's now a tab in there that says "Unable to find your Sonos system", so I tap it, and it asks me if I've changed any network settings, which I obviously haven't so I tap no, then it tries to search for my system again. However after a few seconds the thing just closes and puts me back on the settings menu with nothing changed.

I've tried a factory reset of the speaker, by unplugging, then holding down the pair button and replugging, also resetting the app, but I just get the same problem.

Are the WiFi bands on your router separate? IE 2.4 and 5. Sonos kit only connects to 2.4.

Associate
Well I was fiddling around last night and managed to get it working, at least I think I have!

Only by doing a factory reset, plugging straight in to the router with an ethernet cable, and resetting the app with a fresh account, did I get the system set up. It then wanted me to update the firmware for the speaker, which I initially tried to decline and do later, but that bricked it again and I had to start over. :rolleyes:

Updating the firmware at least let me control the speaker whilst wired, but I was getting error messages within the app telling me that the speaker is incompatible. Not a clue how or why but I left it unplugged overnight, and after trying it again this morning it seems to work with no issues and the errors have disappeared.

What a headache for something that should have been so simple to setup. Nowhere within Sonos' help documentation either does it suggest using ethernet if you're having trouble getting setup, although to be fair, most of it does boil down to "turn it off and on again".

Either way, it's done, sound is awesome, quality and look of the speaker is great, looks brand new despite being certified refurbished.

I've still got a Roam on the way, my pre-order seems to be taking longer than other peoples', but hoping that will be simpler!

Soldato

Are you with BT? Do you use the SH2?

If so, there’s an issue with the firmware at the moment, and for some people, including me, no smart devices will stay connected.

Couldn’t control/setup any smart speakers nor my elgato key light air.

Associate
Are you with BT? Do you use the SH2?

If so, there’s an issue with the firmware at the moment, and for some people, including me, no smart devices will stay connected.

Couldn’t control/setup any smart speakers nor my elgato key light air.

Yes and yes!

That's crazy that such common and popular devices have incompatibility issues, there must be a lot of unhappy people at the minute!

Soldato
Another BT SH2 user here and I had lots of issues with being able to connect to our Sonos set up.

Luckily I had a homeplug laying around not being used so I've now got that acting as a wired connection between the SH2 and the Arc and it's been pretty robust since.

Was driving me mad initially though

Associate
Well the good news is that it puts me off the temptation to pick up a Beam, as wiring it up is possible, just a bit of a faff with cables.

Been waiting for one to come up as refurbished, as it'd only cost about £245 with work discount scheme, which seems like a steal.

Associate
Yup, I ended up having to buy a new router due to the issues. BT weren’t helpful at all :(

Well not long after we joined BT I considered getting a router, as previous BT routers I've had were awful. Fortunately, up to now, the SH2 has been really solid, no complaints about signal, dropouts, or anything like I've had in the past. The router settings and config options are pretty poor, but that's just the way it is with BT.

How easy is it to switch to a 3rd party router with a SH2 and an ONT actually? Do you have to configure the SH2 as a modem and connect them or can you just switch it out?

Soldato
Well not long after we joined BT I considered getting a router, as previous BT routers I've had were awful. Fortunately, up to now, the SH2 has been really solid, no complaints about signal, dropouts, or anything like I've had in the past. The router settings and config options are pretty poor, but that's just the way it is with BT.

How easy is it to switch to a 3rd party router with a SH2 and an ONT actually? Do you have to configure the SH2 as a modem and connect them or can you just switch it out?

All I had to do is set it up in PPPoE with the generic BT username and password, connected directly to the ONT and it worked :)

I went for the AX86U and it isn’t really any quicker over WiFi compared to the SH2 but it’s more versatile.

Associate
All I had to do is set it up in PPPoE with the generic BT username and password, connected directly to the ONT and it worked :)

I went for the AX86U and it isn’t really any quicker over WiFi compared to the SH2 but it’s more versatile.

Nice and easy then, thanks.

Pretty sure an AX86U is a bit overkill for my needs, though!

Man of Honour
My new house has a smaller living room than my current one and a larger kitchen. It's the layout we prefer as we always entertain in the kitchen and the living room is for TV watching and occasional movies. The new lounge is 5.5 x 3.5 m which is actually perfect for us, however my Monitor Audio Gold AV speakers are going to take up too much room, it'll look like Stone Henge in there! Plus I think I'd prefer the clean look of a TV and sound bar on the wall and the Apple TV & Sky box hidden away (there's a cupboard directly behind where the TV will go, handy!). The amount of cables needed for a 5.1 setup is absolutely ridiculous and I have further hifi kit to cable in too!

I've just ordered the Arc and I'll get the sub once in stock, I already have spare Play 1's for rears as well as two Flexon stands. I know it's not going to match my MA setup, however I've read and heard great things about the Sonos setup plus it's going to be far more aesthetically pleasing. I'll keep the Gold 300 floor standers, amp, CD player etc and put them in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom