*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
Is it likely to be louder than my SuperMicro servers? Both have two 40mm fans which are far from quiet, but not too bad once I put them in a closed room.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
REALLY LOUD!

It’s louder than my USG-XG-8 or my UAS-XG but it’s quieter than my QNAP Rack-Mount NAS. There are lots of threads on the Unifi forums about replacing the fans with 30mm Noctuas.

As far as I know and the Noctua sites looks to confirm it, they don’t make 30mm fans.

Associate
Fair enough, 40mm Noctuas. Still plenty of threads about replacing the stock fans with Noctuas.

I've only seen threads discussing using the LNA to reduce the noise of the existing 30mm fans. I've avoided all Ubiquiti kit with 30mm fans for home use due to this as I assumed 40mm Noctua's won't fit without case mods - have you seen different?

My US-24-250Ws and USG Pro 4 have been much improved by 40mm Noctuas so if the US-16-XG, US-48 etc with 30mm fans can take 40mm Noctuas that would be great.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
The Noctua 40mm fit the US-24-250 no problem, so it’s a very quick and simple mod. So you can install those and if it’s still too loud you can use the supplied LNA’s to further bring the sound level down.

Man of Honour
Switch arrived and set up in its temporary home.

Now waiting on some DAC cables for the NAS. Not sure I can be bothered to cable up the ESXi servers and reconfigure vSAN this evening.

1Z1PrrG.jpg

VJXFjKK.jpg

Soldato
If you’re LAGGing the connection set the Link Aggregation up on the US-16-XG first before you connect the DACs. I don’t know why, but that’s the only way I can get LInk Aggregation to work on the US-16-XG.

Man of Honour
Since it was brought up earlier, hardware version is 13 and there seems to be no issue so far with the RJ45 ports. The fan is nice and quiet as well, certainly not as loud as the servers.

Very nice :) maybe it needs a little cab to sit in!
Funny you mention that, it's something I've been looking into.
If you’re LAGGing the connection set the Link Aggregation up on the US-16-XG first before you connect the DACs. I don’t know why, but that’s the only way I can get LInk Aggregation to work on the US-16-XG.

Thanks for the tip.

Associate
Well I got my first bit of ubiquiti kit, Added a UniFi AP-AC-Lite to my current pfsense setup to replace a very old router that was being used for my wifi.

100% want to slowly add more ubiquiti to my home network over time, not sure what to aim to get next mind.

Associate
I would wait for the usg 4 port or 6 port newer models , not announced yet, but they will replace the usg.

Current model tops out at around 80mbps if you enable IPS etc

Okay thanks, I will just save the money up until they release a new USG my current setup works fine so not in a huge rush just really want an entire uniquiti setup :D

Associate
I would wait for the usg 4 port or 6 port newer models , not announced yet, but they will replace the usg.

Current model tops out at around 80mbps if you enable IPS etc

With just IPS and DPI turned on, I can get 145mb down / 30mb up. I don't have smart queues turned on. I currently have a 250mb/30mb connection from my ISP, but I can upgrade to 400mbs and 900mbs with my current fibre line. Hopefully the next USG will allow a full gigabit connection with IPS, DPI running.

Caporegime
Hohum. One of my WAPs has gone back to 10/100 and I can't get it onto gigabit. The last time this happened rebooting it sorted it.

Is it likely to be a bum wap?

Back
Top Bottom